Recent

Author Topic: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition  (Read 66544 times)

hnb

Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 10:31:29 am »
We can just guess. Unfortunately only the developers of Delphi know the details and they are not allowed to tell.

That is very simple,  the IDE loads to memory twice all bpls/dlls to check that you have original Delphi. It is slowly because they have creepy DRM system.

Btw: additionally they have nice EULA point:

Licensee agrees not to use the Product to develop an application that is directly competitive to the Product or to any other Embarcadero products
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

rvk

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 10:41:45 am »
Its downloading DirectX and Interbase plus some other stuff and its only at 70%. So much for the idea that it was a small Delphi install.
Does Interbase really get installed ??

Nice of them... "Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition: Database components and drivers are not included"
But they install Interbase anyway, just for the hell of it  >:D

balazsszekely

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 10:47:48 am »
Nice of them... "Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition: Database components and drivers are not included"
But they install Interbase anyway, just for the hell of it  >:D
Good point @rvk!  :D

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 11:32:54 am »
No database components and drivers included BUT as with Turbo Delphi maybe adding such components to the uses clause will get round this limitation.

However, I was surprised to find Indy included which means it can talk to remote servers & databases which is just the way I like it. Turbo Delphi did not have Indy.

Tchart is missing designtime, but maybe it can, like in Turbo Delphi, be used using runtime instantiation.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 11:53:37 am »
Can someone please start a rating poll (scale of 1 to 10) in this forum for this Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition?

I can not use it because it won't run on my Linux nor WinXP machines. But I'm interested to know how others think about it. If the rating is high, I may try to get myself a Win7 machine.

rvk

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:39 pm »
Its downloading DirectX and Interbase plus some other stuff and its only at 70%. So much for the idea that it was a small Delphi install.
Does Interbase really get installed ??
Luckily Interbase doesn't get installed. There is a brief message that Interbase redistribution client files are copied to the public profile. In installed programs there is only the "RAD Studio 10.1 Berlin version 18.0" entry.

I must say it did install smoothly in my virtualbox but that might be because the host has 16GB of which 4 is assigned to the VM.

Startup in less than 8 to 15 seconds.

JD

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 01:20:13 pm »
Startup in less than 8 to 15 seconds.

Yes it does startup very fast. Faster than Visual Studio Community 2015 for example. But I guess it is because there are more things installed by Visual Studio.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

guest58172

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 02:06:58 pm »
@rvk
It shouldn't be that expensive for a truly cross-platform developing language  %)
Maybe they should port the Delphi IDE source to Lazarus  :P
Firemonkey is a joke, at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's not suitable for a RAD IDE.  :)
Not true, the vectorial stuff are very usable (FMX). I used the former product (vgscene) between 2010 and 2012 and was able to do 2 big serious products with it. The problem is that people are never happy and never want to learn seriously how to use new products and instead they stick on their idea of how things should work.
Well, in this case those people are the developers of Delphi themselves. They can't seem to develop an IDE that runs cross-platform in their own language (or they won't). I always found it a laughing joke you would need a Windows machine to develop an OSX program.

Show me the RGBA backend for Lazarus synedit ;)
Most of the time I understand criticism against EMB etc but we don't even have a decent equivalent, RGBA controls are not even at the extent of FMX.

balazsszekely

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2016, 02:15:55 pm »
@BBasile
You didn't code to much in FMX did you? Now please be honest!

PS: By the way delphi is still a great tool, I would choose for windows desktop programming any time over lazarus(I guess I should not say such things in this forum  :D), but FMX still has a long way to go. I'm not against it, but in my opinion it's not suitable yet for large application.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:55:50 pm by GetMem »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:35 pm »
@rvk
It shouldn't be that expensive for a truly cross-platform developing language  %)
Maybe they should port the Delphi IDE source to Lazarus  :P
Firemonkey is a joke, at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's not suitable for a RAD IDE.  :)
Not true, the vectorial stuff are very usable (FMX). I used the former product (vgscene) between 2010 and 2012 and was able to do 2 big serious products with it. The problem is that people are never happy and never want to learn seriously how to use new products and instead they stick on their idea of how things should work.
Well, in this case those people are the developers of Delphi themselves. They can't seem to develop an IDE that runs cross-platform in their own language (or they won't). I always found it a laughing joke you would need a Windows machine to develop an OSX program.

Show me the RGBA backend for Lazarus synedit ;)
Most of the time I understand criticism against EMB etc but we don't even have a decent equivalent, RGBA controls are not even at the extent of FMX.

I don't know if BGRA Controls can be used on Android for example, but Custom Drawn can be. But some components of Cutom Drawn are not too good for Desktop (for example ComboBox doesn't works and other components, but is also true that no one helps, I helped only a bit a lot of time ago).

I don't know if fpGUI (the way we can theme a lot of more controls than using BGRA Controls) can be used on Android too.

Please give me the best screenshot of Firemonkey you have, the wikipedia one seems something that we already have at least with fpGUI, CustomDrawn and BGRA Controls. Is not the indicate image to show the Firemonkey power I think..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireMonkey#/media/File:Delphi_XE2_IDE_Screen_shot.jpg
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:54:28 pm by lainz »

Scoops

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:07 pm »
@Handako

copied from embarcadero

Exigences relatives au système d'exploitation

Vous pouvez exécuter RAD Studio avec les versions suivantes de Windows :

Windows 10
    Windows 8 et 8.1
    Windows 7 SP1

Ive got Vista and still cant install.

Ok XP is no longer supported by Microsoft but Vista, not that old, so dont worry.
Like you said minimum Windows 7
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 08:28:38 pm by Scoops »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:16 pm »
It sounds I have no choice, but to stick with Lazarus. It's okay, Lazarus has all the things I need.

@Scoops:
Win Vista still supported by Microsoft (extended) to 11 April 2017:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista

Perhaps because only 6 months, Embarcadero doesn't want to spend energy to make it runable on Vista.

I don't have Win7 license and I don't want to use pirated software.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 12:09:50 am »
What frameworks are used for the Delphi IDE itself? Where does the .NET dependency come from?
From memory (past discussions on their forums) the dependency on .NET is in the IDE only. More specifically the code that does code analytics and I guess a few others things too. I guess the Lazarus equivalent would be CodeTools.
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 12:15:52 am »
They can't seem to develop an IDE that runs cross-platform in their own language (or they won't).
Indeed, it should never be the sole option.

I always found it a laughing joke you would need a Windows machine to develop an OSX program.
If FMX was as good as Embarcadero says, then there should be no problem developing a cross-platform IDE using FireMonkey. In the process they will be able to put FireMonkey through its paces (with a real-world application, not just silly demos) and probably discover many bugs which they can fix. Just read the past posts about how buggy FMX was and how many missing features there were. I stopped following Delphi news, so I don't know how much better it is now 2-3 years later. But still no cross-platform IDE in sight.
--

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 12:19:15 am »
So much for the idea that it was a small Delphi install.
When it comes to Delphi, nothing is small any more. Price, executable size, installer bloat, massive useless help files, much larger (longer) IDE startup times etc. :-P
--

TinyPortal © 2005-2018