Recent

Author Topic: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition  (Read 66591 times)

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Free Delphi 10.1 Berlin Starter Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:19 pm »
Can anyone tell me what does the "Commercial use license: Limited" mean? Please follow the link above.

In general if you earn more than Eur/$ 1000 with the starter license, you should buy a real (read: pro) license.

Btw, Embarcadero has had such offers before. Still it comes in handy sometimes, if only for a permanent setup if a bug has fixed in a newer version (e.g. does 10.1 finally support AVX+ instructions in assembler?)

hy

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 07:46:06 pm »
Linux support for Delphi will be available at the end of 2016:
;D
This is awesome.
Well, don't expect too much. quote: "It will enable you to develop Delphi and C++ applications to run on Linux Server."
So the executable will be able to run un a linux server but probably not the IDE.
quote: "We will formally support Ubuntu Server & RedHat Enterprise. We will extend the formally supported Linux distributions list over time as demand dictates"
read and interprete for yourself.

[quote  author=Handoko link=topic=33792.msg219627#msg219627 date=1471967160]
Can anyone tell me what does the "Commercial use license: Limited" mean? Please follow the link above.
[/quote]
I don't know exactly, but they had similar 'limited' licenses before with their turbo delphi which was almost unusable.
The last version of Delphi I used was BDS 6 and it took between 6 and 8 minutes to load the IDE so I would not dare to load it via wine or similar.
_____
***hy

balazsszekely

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 08:09:05 pm »
@hy
Well, don't expect too much. quote: "It will enable you to develop Delphi and C++ applications to run on Linux Server."
So the executable will be able to run un a linux server but probably not the IDE.
quote: "We will formally support Ubuntu Server & RedHat Enterprise. We will extend the formally supported Linux distributions list over time as demand dictates"
read and interprete for yourself.
There is nothing new here, the delphi IDE only runs under windows(it always did), but you can remotely deploy/run/debug your application through PAServer, which can be installed to the target OS(OSX, Linux,  etc). It would be to expensive to rewrite the IDE.

rvk

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:22 pm »
It would be to expensive to rewrite the IDE.
It shouldn't be that expensive for a truly cross-platform developing language  %)
Maybe they should port the Delphi IDE source to Lazarus  :P

JD

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 10:17:12 pm »
No database components and drivers included BUT as with Turbo Delphi maybe adding such components to the uses clause will get round this limitation.

However, I was surprised to find Indy included which means it can talk to remote servers & databases which is just the way I like it. Turbo Delphi did not have Indy.

It seems less restrictive compared to Turbo Delphi and at about 2.2GB is much smaller than a standard Delphi installation.

I'll keep it on a machine & play with it from time to time BUT nothing beats Lazarus as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 10:20:09 pm by JD »
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

balazsszekely

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 10:35:27 pm »
@rvk
It shouldn't be that expensive for a truly cross-platform developing language  %)
Firemonkey is a joke, at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's not suitable for a RAD IDE.  :)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 12:16:58 am »
What frameworks are used for the Delphi IDE itself? Where does the .NET dependency come from?
VCL at least does not need it. Neither does FireMonkey (?).
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

guest58172

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 01:24:33 am »
@rvk
Firemonkey is a joke, at least it was 2-3 years ago. It's not suitable for a RAD IDE.  :)

Not true, the vectorial stuff are very usable (FMX). I used the former product (vgscene) between 2010 and 2012 and was able to do 2 big serious products with it. The problem is that people are never happy and never want to learn seriously how to use new products and instead they stick on their idea of how things should work.

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 03:45:27 am »
The last version of Delphi I used was BDS 6 and it took between 6 and 8 minutes to load the IDE so I would not dare to load it via wine or similar.

Wow, 6 minutes of IDE loading time.

The last Delphi I tried is Borland Delphi 7, a pirated version I got from my friend. It's really superb and I thought to get a license. After I learned the price was out of my affordable range, I ended up to use Lazarus.

rvk

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:06 am »
@rvk
Not true, the vectorial stuff are very usable (FMX). I used the former product (vgscene) between 2010 and 2012 and was able to do 2 big serious products with it. The problem is that people are never happy and never want to learn seriously how to use new products and instead they stick on their idea of how things should work.
Well, in this case those people are the developers of Delphi themselves. They can't seem to develop an IDE that runs cross-platform in their own language (or they won't). I always found it a laughing joke you would need a Windows machine to develop an OSX program.

balazsszekely

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 05:49:06 am »
@BBasile
Did you try to run a very basic, program under OSX(coded in firemonkey)? Just a connection, a dataset, a datasource and a grid, with a few thousand record table. I did in 2012/2013. It never worked properly, just by resizing the form the application crashed. I can go on, with other examples too if you like, but you don't have to believe me, just go to embarcadero forum and read what other programmers say about FMX. I'm talking about experienced programmers, TeamB members.
By the way I was very excited when I first saw FMX and eager to learn. After a few month, I was forced to switch to Lazarus(for OSX projects), which by the way worked just fine(although I have to admit, lazarus also has some problems under OSX).

@Juha
What frameworks are used for the Delphi IDE itself?
AFAIK the delphi IDE is coded in delphi.

JD

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2016, 08:10:36 am »
Did you try to run a very basic, program under OSX(coded in firemonkey)? Just a connection, a dataset, a datasource and a grid, with a few thousand record table. I did in 2012/2013. It never worked properly, just by resizing the form the application crashed. I can go on, with other examples too if you like, but you don't have to believe me, just go to embarcadero forum and read what other programmers say about FMX. I'm talking about experienced programmers, TeamB members.
By the way I was very excited when I first saw FMX and eager to learn. After a few month, I was forced to switch to Lazarus(for OSX projects), which by the way worked just fine(although I have to admit, lazarus also has some problems under OSX).

FMX even up to Delphi XE4 (the last time I tried it) was not very stable. Many said the problems were fixed by the time XE7 came around. XE7 was believed to be the best IDE to date since Delphi 7 but I never had the opportunity to  test it.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

hnb

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 08:41:54 am »
What frameworks are used for the Delphi IDE itself? Where does the .NET dependency come from?

IIRC .NET is used only in IDE for refactoring tools and maybe for msbuild.

VCL at least does not need it. Neither does FireMonkey (?).

FireMonkey does not require .NET.
Checkout NewPascal initiative and donate beer - ready to use tuned FPC compiler + Lazarus for mORMot project

best regards,
Maciej Izak

derek.john.evans

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 09:40:30 am »
Well, there goes my internet bill.

260MB for help files! Its downloading DirectX and Interbase plus some other stuff and its only at 70%. So much for the idea that it was a small Delphi install.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2016, 10:11:17 am »
IIRC .NET is used only in IDE for refactoring tools and maybe for msbuild.

I am thinking why it is so terribly heavy and slow to start. A pure VCL app would not behave like that.
Neither refactoring tools nor msbuild are needed during the startup I believe.
We can just guess. Unfortunately only the developers of Delphi know the details and they are not allowed to tell.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018