Recent

Author Topic: Networking between Win8 and Win10 computers  (Read 4434 times)

PStechPaul

• P S Technology, Inc.
Networking between Win8 and Win10 computers
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:36:35 am »
Hello, this is my first post, so here is a short introduction before I describe my problem (which is not really related to Lazarus, but I also have some questions about that). I am a semi-retired self-employed electronics engineer with a lot of experience in circuit design and programming, mostly using Borland Delphi D4 Pro for Windows GUI apps, and otherwise assembler and C for programming Microchip PICs and recently Arduino. I've also dabbled in JavaScript and PHP and VB.

Yesterday I installed and ran Free Pascal and Lazarus on my new Win10 Toshiba Satellite laptop, and I was able to convert some of my simpler Delphi projects to Lazarus and they compiled and ran OK. I am still using a Win8 laptop for most purposes. I was able to set up a Homegroup and WiFi network, but I encountered problems with accessing the shared folders I had set up on all three machines.

Eventually I was able to get connectivity so I could transfer files from the Win8 machine to the Win10 laptop, and I used them with Lazarus to try more complex projects. However, today when the machines were awakened, I had more problems with the network. Some problems were fixed, and now I can access the Win10 machines from my Win8 Dell laptop, and the Win10 Toshiba and the Win10 Winbook tablet can access each other. But neither Win10 machine can access the Win8 machine.

I've tried multiple reboots, leaving and joining the homegroup, using advanced sharing options, turning off password requirements, and disconnecting and reconnecting to the Wifi. The network device names appear (and disappear) when each machine is turned on and off. But the Win10 machines complain that "Windows cannot access \\PES-DELL15. Network diagnostics are useless as usual.

I think there may have been an update to Win10 that changed some things and caused the problem.

Any similar experiences or ideas?

Phil

Re: Networking between Win8 and Win10 computers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:38 am »
Sorry, only Mac here so I can't help with local Windows networks.

Maybe a dumb idea, but if all you're trying to do is share source code, why not install Dropbox on each machine and let it sync files automatically between machines?

PStechPaul

• P S Technology, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:21:37 am »
Using DropBox would be OK, and I have it installed, but I really want to determine why the network is misbehaving. I've had problems before, and I don't fully understand all the details. I can upload files from my Win8 machine to the new Win10 laptop which will eventually become my primary machine. I also have OneDrive on that computer, but I don't really use it.

Thanks.

Zath

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 11:25:45 am »
The items visible on the network come and go as it keeps refreshing, trying to establish the list.

Chances are the IP address of that machine is outside the range of your network or the workgroup isn't right.
In Windows 10 you can right click the windows squares icon (bottom left), move up and choose system, then look for computer domain, name and workgroup settings, select change settings. Choose the lower option "Change".
Windows 8 has many similarities to 10 so hopefully the same menu hierarchy.

PStechPaul

• P S Technology, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:01:14 am »
When I tried again just now, there is connectivity both ways among all three machines. I had to use my log-in to access my Dell laptop, but then it worked OK. Maybe computers also need a good night's sleep?  ;)  ::)

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:45:38 pm »
Norton is known for creating such problems with networking of Win7..Win10 computers. If problem shows again then switch off all antiviruses you have just for test purpose, try again and report.
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

PStechPaul

• P S Technology, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »
I'm using McAfee, but it could also cause such problems. Thanks for the suggestion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018