Recent

Author Topic: Issue with Menu Editor?  (Read 3769 times)

katronix

Issue with Menu Editor?
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:21:28 am »
Hi all,

Trying a new product design with Lazarus 1.6. Trying to create menu items and I've found adding the first one (File in this case) is easy. However to add any other menus I have to make them off shoots of the File Menu.

I'm hoping I'm just missing something super obvious as its past midnight here, but wanted to make sure that the Menu Editor is known to work correctly? Is there another Menu Editor I can use which will still allow Lazarus to generate cross platform code?

Thanks!

Kat

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Issue with Menu Editor?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:54:46 am »
Please provide more info. Screenshots, OS, widgetset, version of FPC, step-by-step to produce the issue, etc. Without more information, nothing much we can say.

I visit this forum regularly, never heard somebody complaining the menu editor. I used the menu editor to create pop up menus for my personal-used cross platform multi-tab system tray notepad, never have any issue so far.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:04:32 pm by Handoko »

molly

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »
@handoku:
It might perhaps simply be a matter of wrong interpretation/perception ?

OP writes that he experiences that another menu is a 'off shoot' (whatever that means) of the first (file) menu.

Strictly speaking, OP is correct.

When you design the menu it all seems to relate to the first menu that you created.

What OP fails to see in that case and imho is that when you use insert item (before or after), that there is actually a new menu-item class (also called top level menu) created in source/browser/lfm and which allows you to add (sub-)items.

Unfortunately i was not able to locate a graphical explanantion but, the steps of creating menu's is written down here.

The above wirttten is/was the only logical explanation i was able to come up with as indeed i also never seen anyone complain about it. Or it must be that user accidently mistakes a pop-up menu as being a TMainMenu ?

Handoko

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:13:43 pm »
Okay. I remember I did feel confusing first time I tried the menu editor. But at least it works so I forget about the inconvenient.

katronix

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:26:39 pm »
Thanks Molly,

Sorry for the in-adequateness of my explanation, however you did manage to explain the solution :)

Kat

howardpc

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:09:16 pm »
Lazarus trunk has a redesigned menu editor which is hopefully more intuitive to use, and gives better WYSIWYG display of the menu structure being created as you create it.

katronix

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 05:30:55 pm »
How do I get the trunk version?

Handoko

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 06:02:37 pm »
Do you know what is trunk version mean?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trunk_%28software%29

Usually trunks do not provide binaries. You have to compile and build it yourself. And it requires some technical skills.

Here has more information if you're interested:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus

TinyPortal © 2005-2018