Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.6 only as root ?  (Read 12237 times)

kapibara

Re: Lazarus 1.6 only as root ?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 12:05:04 am »
I'm not a Linux wizard so it took a few weeks to feel somewhat comfortable with Debian but now it is my prefered distro and I feel it was worth it. As I said, Debian 9 (Stretch) provides easy install of latest fpc and lazarus from Synaptic software manager. Plus newer versions of different applications.

A helpful tool is fsarchiver, that can make images of the installation so you can go back to earlier setups. In 5 minutes your back to normal if you break something.

FSArchiver is found on http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ and you make a live USB stick to boot from and clone/restore Debian.

Example backup:
fsarchiver savefs /media/mydisk/images/2016-07-16-debian.fsa /dev/sdb1

Example restore:
fsarchiver restfs /media/mydisk/images/2016-07-15-debian.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdb1

You should backup to a different disk than the rescue stick.
Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.2.2 / Kubuntu 22.04 - 64 bit

zoimutante

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 12:50:59 am »
YOU brought up the review. I merely said you do not always have to believe them if the review is not based on FACTS.

He has a f*cked up installation. That has nothing to do with the distribution but is user error. See my first reply.

not a user, erro, not even close to that... it is a problem with installation on debian or other some some package. I'm not the 1 user to experience this kind of problem, other guy have the same problem with fedora. apt-get is supposed to solve everything, all dependencies, and install the software correct. That don't happen to me. I need to remove many system entry by hand with rm -rf, before make thinks working. One proof it is not user fault is that Lazarus Source Code don't even compile on Debian, but compile really well on SlackWare

Not sure about who is the fault, but for sure it is not mine. I don't fucked up nothing, just read READ-ME and did what was told to do. Don't work. Not in Debian at least.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:56:17 am by zoimutante »

zoimutante

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 12:55:11 am »
Hello zoimutante. Have you solved the issue? You may tried Thaddy's installation guide? If you don't understand with the get-apt things, you can prefer to download the packages as I mentioned, but remember you should make a complete Lazarus/FPC uninstallation first, and a computer restart is better.

Yes, I solved the problem. Purge many things, and remove other things by hand.

Install FPC from installation package on fpc page, not the .deb file. Than install Lazarus from .deb package, source of FPC also from .ded package, run apt-get -f install and re install lazarus, because apt-get -f install remove it....

Using slackware, just install fpc and compile lazarus source....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:58:06 am by zoimutante »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 04:38:11 am »
@kapibara

Thanks you sharing your experience. I never tried Debian Linux. It sounds good, maybe I will try it someday.

Synaptic Software Manager is a handy tool that I always install first right after I (re)install my Linux. It can be used to inspect and fix dependency and broken issues which (don't know why) happens sometime.

I never tried backup tools. But what I found is Linux is convenient and smart. My home folder was created in a partition alone. Several times when I format and reinstall Linux, all the data and application's configurations were kept as long as I don't format the home partition. That's awesome!

@zoimutante

Glad to know you have solved the problem.
Have fun!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018