Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.6 only as root ?  (Read 12253 times)

zoimutante

Lazarus 1.6 only as root ?
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:28:20 am »
Well, I'm using Debian, 8.5, Lazarus 1.6, FPC 3.0, and as root, everything is fine, but regular user, when I try to compile a simple form, I get this erro: lazutf8.pas(184,2) Fatal: Cannot find gettext used by LazUTF8 of package LazUtils.

I think it is some thing about permissions to some file or directory,  but I don't know which file.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:34:05 am by zoimutante »

Handoko

• My goal: build my own game engine using Lazarus
Re: Lazarus 1.6 only as root ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:46:21 am »
That's strange. Why as root? I'm using Lazarus 1.6 FPC 3.0.0 on Ubuntu Mate, no problem so far. The installation files I used are deb packages. Have you try to reinstall it? And to have it run correctly you need to install all the 3 packages (FPC, FPC source, Lazarus).

http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=downloads
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:48:39 am by Handoko »

AlexVinS

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:22:12 pm »
Cannot find gettext

Unit gettext is a part of fpc, probably you have not installed fpc correctly (missing fp-units-base debian packaeg) but with RTL|packages sources.

zoimutante

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 07:26:16 am »
That's strange. Why as root? I'm using Lazarus 1.6 FPC 3.0.0 on Ubuntu Mate, no problem so far. The installation files I used are deb packages. Have you try to reinstall it? And to have it run correctly you need to install all the 3 packages (FPC, FPC source, Lazarus).

http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=downloads

yes, I install all 3 packages with dpkg -i ... lazarus it self have a problem on instalation, i think some dependence, fixed by apt-get -f install... as root as root works as it should work, with normal user, no, i can't compile a simple empty form...

zoimutante

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 07:38:54 am »
Cannot find gettext

Unit gettext is a part of fpc, probably you have not installed fpc correctly (missing fp-units-base debian packaeg) but with RTL|packages sources.

I installed all 3 packages from that page https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Linux%20i386%20DEB/Lazarus%201.6/  (pc_3.0.0-151205_i386.deb   fpc-src_3.0.0-151205_i386.deb lazarus_1.6-0_i386.deb) with dpkg -i package name. And than execute apt-get -f install The weird thing about that is when I execute Lazarus as root, it compiles everything, as normal user don't.

I don't have installed any fp-units* from debian repository. They are compatible with fpc 3 ? Should I install that ? Install all packages begging with fp-inits ?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 07:40:55 am by zoimutante »

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 08:00:06 am »
I don't have installed any fp-units* from debian repository. They are compatible with fpc 3 ? Should I install that ? Install all packages begging with fp-inits ?
NO. They are 2.6.4.

I would start all over again.

Here's what I would do:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge fpc
sudo apt-get autoremove

Then I would check if the latest build-essental are there:
sudo apt-get install build-essential
Then I would install subversion -if needed:
sudo apt-get install subversion (fpcup will do that I believe)
Download fpcup from https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/Reiniero-fpcup
Unpack
Read the documentation.
Don't change anything! in the files
Run one of the scripts. No parameters means stable will be installed. Which is 3.0.0 + 1.6

If you are very lucky fpc3 is in debian testing, so if you know how to select packages from testing and install them. Check that out. Should be safe because there are no real os version dependencies for fpc and lazarus.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:05:58 am by Thaddy »
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

kapibara

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 10:29:33 am »
I've been running Laz 1.6 and fpc 3.0 under Stretch (Debian testing) for a month, works great so far. They are available from Synaptic and install just fine.

(Perhaps I added "contrib" to sources.list)
Lazarus trunk / fpc 3.2.2 / Kubuntu 22.04 - 64 bit

zoimutante

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 11:12:25 am »
I just discovery debian is not a good OS to compile and install apps.

On a VM, I install SlackWare, downloaded FCP binary, and Lazarus source code.

Install the FPC binary, and compile Lazarus source code. Lazarus compiled and runs with out a single problem!

Try to do the same thing on Debian, after purge and manual remove all referencies to previous installed Lazarus and FPC. Guess what ? Lazarus source code DIN'T COMPILE!!

With FPC 3.0.0 installed on Debian, I installed Lazarus 1.6 Debian package, run apt-get install -f, apt-get resolve some missing dependencies, and guess what ? Lazarus removed. I think it is funny! Reinstall Lazarus Debian package with dpkg -i and now it works...

Now when compiling a form, with out nothing inside it, I get 2 warnings:
project1.lpr(20,1) Warning: "crti.o" not found, this will probably cause a linking failure
project1.lpr(20,1) Warning: "crtn.o" not found, this will probably cause a linking failure

I think things are working now.

Debian is a great and stable system, if everything you want to install is found in the official repository, if not, the user need some work to make things working as it should.

Now there is more one question: I have two references in my system to crtn.o and crti.o

/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/crtn.o
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/crtn.o

/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/crti.o
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/crti.o

How can I make Lazarus see it ?

Handoko

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 11:48:28 am »
I never tried Debian. I use Ubuntu, which as far as I know was built on top of Debian.

I learn from experience, that it is usually better to install software not from Ubuntu official repository. It often provides the older version and buggy. So, I always get Lazarus from Lazarus Download page.

Thaddy

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 11:55:04 am »
I never tried Debian. I use Ubuntu, which as far as I know was built on top of Debian.

I learn from experience, that it is usually better to install software not from Ubuntu official repository. It often provides the older version and buggy. So, I always get Lazarus from Lazarus Download page.
It is definitely NOT buggy. Debian always has stable releases in its repositories.
What is the case is that Debian is conservative, so you will miss out on the latest features, not on stability. That is nonsense.
Ubuntu is indeed built on Debian, but since Ubuntu often uses Debian testing, the Ubuntu packages are often newer than the Debian stable release.

But buggy? Really? of course not! it is just an older but stable version and you may install newer versions from the testing repository or even from the Ubuntu repository.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

Handoko

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 12:30:49 pm »
The stability, yes, it's stable. But it contained some bugs on the thing I wanted to use. I forget what they were. It was 2 years ago.

After I visit the user reviews on the repository (Ubuntu Software Center), then I found many bad reviews. I saw it on my eyes. Sorry, I can provide any screenshot, because now I'm not using Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu Mate, and there is no Ubuntu Software Center. Do you use Ubuntu Software Center? If yes, you can have a look on it. But perhaps, it's already solved. Because that's already 2 years ago.

Edited:
I found some of the reviews still available the the web:
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/quantal/lazarus-ide-0.9.30.4/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 12:38:37 pm by Handoko »

Thaddy

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 01:24:01 pm »
User reviews are not user reviews for a particular version, read: the latest version. These are just C++ programmers bashing fpc because they like it but never checked it since the 1.9 release.
This is sometimes rather frustrating, so I learned to ignore them.

You immediately recognize the informed balanced reviews. Not always positive not always negative, but informed about the version they tested.

Handoko

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 01:50:16 pm »
Perhaps someone didn't wrote the review honestly. The link I gave you only showing one bad review. But I remember there was many of bad reviews when I saw it 2 years ago.

I know many people said Ubuntu is stable. But I doubt it. When Unity was forced out, I experienced the bad things. Luckily Unity was improving and become more stable. But I still experienced high cpu and memory load. Then after some inspections I found the culprit was Zeitgeist, it was okay I can tolerate. But my Ubuntu Software Center became slower to load. It took more than 2 minutes to load its database. So good bye Ubuntu and I started to try Ubuntu Mate. Problems solved. It simply works. No fancy looking like Ubuntu (Unity), but it's okay to me. Maybe Ubuntu is much better now. But I don't care.

Sorry zoimutante, this thread is now become off topic.

What I want to say is you maybe should try to download the installation packages directly from the link provided by Lazarus. Just as what I did which solved some of my issues.

Thaddy

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »
YOU brought up the review. I merely said you do not always have to believe them if the review is not based on FACTS.

But anyway, to stay on topic, if OP is not able to install on one distribution he will soon run into trouble if he installs it on another distribution that he seems to have chosen only because there the Freepascal installation was a more friendly experience. I merely want to point out that Debian is a standard on which many other distributions are based, including Ubuntu. If you can't do it properly on Debian or Ubuntu you merely look like an idiot.
Basically: he needs to learn and start from scratch. He has a f*cked up installation. That has nothing to do with the distribution but is user error. See my first reply.

Handoko

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 05:53:53 pm »
Hello zoimutante. Have you solved the issue? You may tried Thaddy's installation guide? If you don't understand with the get-apt things, you can prefer to download the packages as I mentioned, but remember you should make a complete Lazarus/FPC uninstallation first, and a computer restart is better.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018