Recent

Author Topic: [SOLVED] General Package Installation difficulties  (Read 5839 times)

eshjim

[SOLVED] General Package Installation difficulties
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:33:01 am »
I did raise a similar question a while ago about package installation problems I am encountering as a novice user. Unfortunately, I did not receive a single response, which leads me to suspect that the solution is so simple it does not rate the effort of an answer  :), but I seem to be following all instructions without success, so I'll try again...

This time, I want to install the SplashAbout package.  I duly downloaded the zip file from the following link
Code: HTML5  [Select][+][-]
  1. http://www.charcodelvalle.com/splashabout//splashabout_component.zip
and unzipped the files into the Lazarus Component directory in a newly created sub-directory which I named splashabout.  In the Lazarus IDE (v1.6), I click on Open Package File and click on Splashabout.lpk.  That brings up the dialog box "Package Splashabout V0.0".  I click on Compile and then Use then Install.  At that point, the same as every other package I've tried to install, an information dialog pops up headed "Not an install package.....".  Proceeding anyway results in the IDE re-compiling/rebuilding, but as the above dialog warns, no component is installed (apparently it should appear in the Additional palette.

I do apologise for this being so long-winded, but I wanted to give you more experienced guys a chance to let me know where I am going wrong.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:54:13 pm by eshjim »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
Re: General Package Installation difficulties
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
If is not an install package means that there is no pallete.

You should use the button add to project then you can add the units to uses clause.

eshjim

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 01:30:39 am »
Thank you for your reply. What puzzles me is that the Readme that accompanies the files states, and I quote, "When all is done, click the 'Additional' component palette to see the SplashAbout component". Precisely the same has happened on other components I have attempted to install, which led me to believe I was doing something wrong.  Presumably, your suggestion would mean I would have to manually add the units to future projects rather than just being able to add the component to a form.

CyberFilth

• My github account
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:35:52 am »
I'm not sure if this is something that you've already tried but SplashAbout depends on 2 other packages if I remember correctly.

First install Scrolling Text from here http://www.charcodelvalle.com/scrollingtext/scrollingtext_component.zip

Then install the PoweredBy component, I think that this is in a subfolder of the SplashAbout zip file. After that install SplashAbout... I installed this quite recently, in this order, successfully.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 01:43:39 am by CyberFilth »
Running Windows 10 & Xubuntu 20.04 | Lazarus 2.0.12 | FPC 3.2.0

eshjim

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:39:48 am »
Thanks for that CyberFilth.  It's bedtime now so I'll try that tomorrow.

frakno

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 08:35:59 am »
As in http://wiki.freepascal.org/SplashAbout said

SplashAbout is a Lazarus visual component. It installs on the 'Additional' component palette.

Did you check the  'Additional' component palette
Lazarus 1.6 FPC 3.0 Windows 10

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »
You might have the version without the component icon.  If so, here's how to proceed:

1. Add usplashabout to your form 'uses' in the implementation section. 
2. Highlight it, and right-click to bring up a popup menu
3. Choose 'Open File/Open file at cursor'  .This will show the usplashabout code in the editor.
4. As you will see; all the comment text at the start of the unit shows you how and where to use it.
note: make sure you also have the file uversion in the same folder as usplashabout

I used to have a visual component version of SplashAbout, but I stopped development before it was completely debugged and fit for distribution.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 12:51:08 pm by minesadorada »
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

eshjim

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 12:50:19 pm »
I'm not sure if this is something that you've already tried but SplashAbout depends on 2 other packages if I remember correctly.

First install Scrolling Text from here http://www.charcodelvalle.com/scrollingtext/scrollingtext_component.zip

Then install the PoweredBy component, I think that this is in a subfolder of the SplashAbout zip file. After that install SplashAbout... I installed this quite recently, in this order, successfully.

Hi CyberFilth, I tried what you suggested.  The Scrolling Text and PoweredBy components installed successfully, appearing in the Additional palette, but when adding the splashabout.lpk after compiling it, I am still getting the warning that it does not have any Register procedure so will not provide any IDE add-on. After continuing, it does appear in the installed packages list as splashabout 0.0, but of course no component.  Does your package show as splashabout 0.0?

CyberFilth

• My github account
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 01:07:08 pm »
No, my installation is version 1.4.3

I'll defer to minesadorada at this point as I believe they wrote this component.
Running Windows 10 & Xubuntu 20.04 | Lazarus 2.0.12 | FPC 3.2.0

eshjim

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 05:13:21 pm »
You might have the version without the component icon.  If so, here's how to proceed:

1. Add usplashabout to your form 'uses' in the implementation section. 
2. Highlight it, and right-click to bring up a popup menu
3. Choose 'Open File/Open file at cursor'  .This will show the usplashabout code in the editor.
4. As you will see; all the comment text at the start of the unit shows you how and where to use it.
note: make sure you also have the file uversion in the same folder as usplashabout

I used to have a visual component version of SplashAbout, but I stopped development before it was completely debugged and fit for distribution.

Thanks for your reply.  I decided to look at the example app first.  However, when trying to load it, I am getting the message "Unable to find the component class TSplashAbout. It is not registered via RegisterClass and no lfm was found".  As I said in my reply to CyberFilth above, the package is showing as installed in Lazarus as "splashabout 0.0". I downloaded it via
Code: HTML5  [Select][+][-]
  1. http://wiki.freepascal.org/SplashAbout#Download

eshjim

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 05:53:42 pm »
UPDATE: Success! I downloaded the zip file again from a different location and this time the component has successfully installed into the IDE and is operational.  Thank you for all of the suggestions.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018