Recent

Author Topic: DOS linked .obj file calling conventions  (Read 17448 times)

deathshadow

• CutCodeDown - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: DOS linked .obj file calling conventions
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 10:37:43 am »
Seems more like I should contact the AVR guy(s), they seem to have figured it out.
From time to time the accessibility of websites must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 11:48:40 am »
Seems more like I should contact the AVR guy(s), they seem to have figured it out.

I wasn't aware they had PCJr ports ?

deathshadow

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 12:27:24 pm »
I was referring to the fact that with the average 32 bit AVR chip coming in at 16k of flash, a 16 bit RTL wouldn't leave you any space for your own code, so they quite obviously are adept at leaving out all the extras that really don't apply to the platform.

... and that's really the issue I'm having -- for TINY and SMALL, all those bells and whistles don't leave you with enough space for your own code, and much of it is pretty pointless since what good is, well... take unicode support for example... you can't show it in text mode and even with a 8x8 font you wouldn't have the RAM to render it in graphics mode either. There's zero point in even having it in there.

... or that it seems to parse paramstr and store it whether you are using it or not -- something you generally wouldn't do on a DOS target you'd parse it in realtime.

... and I'm willing to put in the work for this, I just can't make sense of where to even start as the existing RTL is a massive codebase and everything I tug on just breaks it.

Again, a little surprised so much is hardcoded into it baseline instead of being truly optional -- and that so much of it is cross-reliant... and that the common /inc/system.pp version isn't more barebones with just prototypes and requirements. Again, someplace a proper .h file C style would be far more useful.

You know, all the facing and required procedures, constants and variables actually documented in one place in one file instead of spread out over what appears to be 80 separate files for Christmas only knows what?

Again why I feel like I'm looking at '70's style spaghetti. Hey Anthony...

Though playing with it has helped me on the TP7 front as it got me thinking about the near/far difference, making me swing an axe at using units altogether freeing up ~4k or so of memory and netting a 5% speed boost in the process. To simulate unit begin:end. I'm just using a similar model to exitproc... kinda.

Units suck for small memory footprint... makes sense since each one gets its own code segment. Also seems like TP's units have a pretty big stack overhead as I'm now down to only needing 1k of stack. I like that.

... and it now fits to build in FPC's TINY as a COM file, but it's right against the wall and I've got another ~8k of code+data (once compiled)  to add to it by the time it is done. Still lets me compare it speed wise. NOT too surprised FPC is slower since it REALLY wasn't designed for 16 bit targets in the first place, but it is promising to at least see support however much still needs to be done to make it useful on said platform.

Also got me digging into TP's RTL since the BP7 CD has the source on it. Removing all the pointless constants like the idiotic SEGB800 (that I NEVER understood the point of, why not just type $B800? It's not like a remote mem reference is going to be better than an immediate, even on the inefficient 8088) or the overlay stuff... the constants/variables for which are included whether the functions that use them are loaded or not.

There's a lot of stuff in FPC and TP's RTL that to me feels like the writer seemed to think that constants behave like macros instead of going into the data segment/selector. But that's like how TP/BP/Delphi/FPC "constants" aren't "constants" since they're writable. They're just global scope variables with predefined values... shocking how many people writing Pascal don't know that. ... and why even having the distinction from old-school Pascal is pretty pointless by modern coding standards.

Especially since x86 16 bit is still common in the microcontroller world... though it's been nice to have ARM slowly muscle it's way in there ... particularly the Cortex M4 on SoC's like the Freescale Mk20DX's.

Would love to someday be able to use FPC on a Teensy 3.x development board and kick WinAVR to the curb for my MIDI wind controller project.

Of course that understanding of what a const is becomes painfully obvious to 8088 development, where the mantra of "use constants a lot. NO, a LOT!!!" is actually the antithesis of speed optimization despite the improved code legibility... one of those times where Pascal could REALLY use a PROPER equivalent to C's "define".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 12:46:06 pm by deathshadow »
From time to time the accessibility of websites must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 12:41:59 pm »
Well then.
Topic started about msdos: fully supported and within Bill Gates memory limits. .com, .exe, several memory models like in the olden days ;)
But what you really seem to mean is a kind of  embedded version for 8086/8088.
Leledumbo explained one way on how to do that because he did that himself.
Then you switch over to AVR... totally different, but again: FPC embedded is available for AVR...

So apart from your cocky language... did you really investigate the options ;) Guessed not.
Specialize a type, not a var.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 01:55:23 pm »
It's no way difficult to write your own RTL and drops any functionality you don't need. Judging from your coding level (well, not many code assembly fluently), you're just too lazy to understand the architecture (which you don't really need to) while your skills should be more than adequate.
Would love to someday be able to use FPC on a Teensy 3.x development board and kick WinAVR to the curb for my MIDI wind controller project.
Paul seems to have done it last year: http://forum.lazarus-ide.org/index.php/topic,28561.0.html
I feel like agreeing Thaddy's comment:
So apart from your cocky language... did you really investigate the options ;) Guessed not.

engkin

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 04:01:03 pm »
I am going to leave this link here.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:09 pm »
I was referring to the fact that with the average 32 bit AVR chip coming in at 16k of flash, a 16 bit RTL wouldn't leave you any space for your own code, so they quite obviously are adept at leaving out all the extras that really don't apply to the platform.

You are comparing a general product to a highly specialized one. The general ones can come close, but need per case tweaking.

As said the FPC current distribution is optimized for easy testing and so that all units work as much as possible. It is not cut down to your exact expectations of a minimal RTL.

Again: Cut down/customize the msdos one for your purposes, or create a new one based on the minimal skeletal "embedded" rtl. But I think cutting down the msdos one is easier.

... and I'm willing to put in the work for this, I just can't make sense of where to even start as the existing RTL is a massive codebase and everything I tug on just breaks it.

Dozens of people manage to on a daily basis. Try harder.

Again, someplace a proper .h file C style would be far more useful.

No it wouldn't be. We don't have an unit system for nothing.

You know, all the facing and required procedures, constants and variables actually documented in one place in one file instead of spread out over what appears to be 80 separate files for Christmas only knows what?

.h style would be even more files.

Again why I feel like I'm looking at '70's style spaghetti. Hey Anthony...

Less playing/youtubing, more coding.

... and it now fits to build in FPC's TINY as a COM file, but it's right against the wall and I've got another ~8k of code+data (once compiled)  to add to it by the time it is done. Still lets me compare it speed wise. NOT too surprised FPC is slower since it REALLY wasn't designed for 16 bit targets in the first place, but it is promising to at least see support however much still needs to be done to make it useful on said platform.

Well, it is good that you managed to make a step. What optimization settings did you use?

Also got me digging into TP's RTL since the BP7 CD has the source on it. Removing all the pointless constants like the idiotic SEGB800 (that I NEVER understood the point of, why not just type $B800? It's not like a remote mem reference is going to be better than an immediate, even on the inefficient 8088) or the overlay stuff... the constants/variables for which are included whether the functions that use them are loaded or not.

No, true constants are not loaded in the binary. Only typed constants are. (also in TP)

Constants are used to make code that uses such constants switch between real mode and 286 protected mode.

There's a lot of stuff in FPC and TP's RTL that to me feels like the writer seemed to think that constants behave like macros instead of going into the data segment/selector. But that's like how TP/BP/Delphi/FPC "constants" aren't "constants" since they're writable. They're just global scope variables with predefined values... shocking how many people writing Pascal don't know that.

There are constants ( x = 10) and typed constants ( x: integer =10). There is a difference.

Especially since x86 16 bit is still common in the microcontroller world... though it's been nice to have

Which x86 systems are nowadays really targeted at 16-bits development ? (as opposed to 32/64bit ones that can still just boot 16-bit?)

Of course that understanding of what a const is becomes painfully obvious to 8088 development, where the mantra of "use constants a lot. NO, a LOT!!!" is actually the antithesis of speed optimization despite the improved code legibility... one of those times where Pascal could REALLY use a PROPER equivalent to C's "define".

No, it shouldn't. You are mixing things up.

deathshadow

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 07:46:28 am »
Again: Cut down/customize the msdos one for your purposes,
Which I'm willing to try to do if I can make sense of this convoluted mess.

or create a new one based on the minimal skeletal "embedded" rtl.
Which I'm willing to do to an extent, but I'm noticing even that has more crud in it than I want... Though I think much of that is just the generic nature of the beast overall.

What I'm really looking for is a sub 2k single file .pp that just BS's it into compiling. Just list out what HAS to be included/set in a device neutral manner... I'm starting to suspect that unlike C compilers, FPC just isn't set up internally to be THAT generic/vanilla an implementation of Pascal.

But I think cutting down the msdos one is easier.
Not from what I'm seeing, it's spanning so many separate files and pulling such massive amounts of the "generic" cross platform codebase, everything I "tug on" just breaks it.

Dozens of people manage to on a daily basis. Try harder.
Can you point me on examples of this? How are they figuring this out? If dozens of people are "doing this daily" then WHERE ARE THEY? That reeks of pulling a number out of one's backside.

.h style would be even more files.
Done properly it would be ONE master file giving you ALL the prototypes for the SINGLE library. Admittedly, a concept that a LOT of people seem to find alien these days. (could be worse, could be full stack JS)

It's called an INTERFACE file for a reason.

Well, it is good that you managed to make a step. What optimization settings did you use?
Forget right now, but I'm rejecting FPC for now as it's too much hassle since I've already lost two years to my health, I don't want to waste a year screwing with the tools.

Actually looks like I'm moving to Open Watcom C since it does what I want done out of the box (well, other than the fact that it is C). Compiles to 16 bit TINY from 32/64 bit command line, smallest .COM of any higher level language I've tested, etc, etc... Even so I'm gonna keep playing with FPC as I PREFER Pascal to C, it's just the state of compilers keeps making the choice for me.

Had a LOT of people trying to point me at Microsoft C++ 8.0's command line compiler, that's good for a laugh as it makes FPC's implementation shine by comparison. (Gee, inefficient compilers from Microsoft? SAY NOT SO!!!) and still fails to meet my actual goal of something I can call from a Windows command line under Win 8.1 to compile to 16 bit. (since compiling inside DOSBOX sucks, even at max cycles)

Admittedly the guys who keep pointing me at MASM and Microsoft C are all ex big-iron guys, so they come from a whole different world than those of us who started out in the microcomputer era on things like the ELF and Trash-80. Laughably, they fit in better with today's "Oh just throw more code and hardware at the problem" mentality.

No, true constants are not loaded in the binary. Only typed constants are. (also in TP)

I should have specified, my bad:

Code: [Select]
  Seg0040: Word = $0040; { Selector for segment $0040 }
  SegA000: Word = $A000; { Selector for segment $A000 }
  SegB000: Word = $B000; { Selector for segment $B000 }
  SegB800: Word = $B800; { Selector for segment $B800 }

That's right off the Borland Pascal 7 CD. THOUGH I had someone explain to me WHY they do that!

mov  es, [Seg0040] ; 8 + EA, 3 bytes if DS reference
3 fetch (BIU empty) * 4 + 8 exec + 9 ea + 2 bytes data * 4 = 37

With fetch, mem, and EA calculated that's a worst case of 37 clock cycles BIU empty on a 8088, in 3 bytes.

That is less code, and doesn't need a extra register compared to:

mov  ax, 0x0040 ; 4 clocks, 3 bytes
mov  es, ax ; 2 clocks, 2 bytes
3 fetch * 4 + 4 exec + (2 fetch * 4 - 4 BIU free) + 2 = 22

22 clocks but 5 bytes and you need a register free to do it.

So if that is used ONCE, you break even. More than once you save two bytes and no need for getting an extra register involved... but it costs you 15 clock cycles to do it.

Since you cannot actually do:

mov  es, 0x0040 ; this will not assemble!

Since there is no such thing as "mov segreg, immed" -- just mem#e and reg#e :(

Which x86 systems are nowadays really targeted at 16-bits development ? (as opposed to 32/64bit ones that can still just boot 16-bit?)
VERY popular to do with Intel Quark D series -- While they are 32 bit x86 code compatibile, NOBODY runs them in 32 bit protected mode. This is becuase the overhead of the virtual page-space ALONE would be murder when on the low end (D1000) you have 32k of instruction RAM and 8k of SRAM, and at the high end (SE) we're talking 384k of instruction space and 80k of RAM. You might use the 32 bit math and memory copy capabilities, but when you only have a total combined address space on the primary models of 52k or less, you're not building as anything but TINY (so you can keep all your segments the same). Even with the SE, you're hard pressed to find a legitimate reason NOT to run it in "REAL" mode since that tops out at 436k total combined address space. The ideal on that larger address space most likely being COMPACT -- aka CS, DS, and SS all getting their own 64k limit, with the rest as a heap. Maybe LARGE by allowing functions to be FAR if needed with thier own CS, but really if you're that lean on RAM it's unlikely you'd want the those extra 8-16 bytes of overhead added to every function call in the code much less 2 more bytes on the stack.

(hell, that's part of what made me start down this path in the first place, reducing function call overhead!)

You only tread into high end specs when you get into the SOC's like the Quark X1000 with it's 400mhz clock and external DRAM capabilities. I've seen dev boards for that ranging from 256 megs all the way up to 2 gigs.

There are also a LOT of embedded systems that still run DOS... on real 80186/lower PDIP chips. You'll find them in the same type of environments you'll still find 8052's chugging along. Changes in the mechanical engineering of the robots or other machines they are controlling means they still need people to write new code for them -- PARTICULARLY since many modern chips don't want to let you get that far into the low-end I/O, and convincing them to move to AVR or ARM presents them with an unknown.

Though it's funny how even a 16mhz ATMEGA32 kicks a 25mhz 386DX's backside on raw computing power... But try convincing people with million dollar machines they've been using for 40 years to switch to the same chip that's in a Arduino Micro. What's wrong with the existing one?!? *SIGH*

No, it shouldn't. You are mixing things up.
Again, my bad, I should have been more specific -- people seem to treat ALL constants that way. That it's so easy to mess it up is why the distinction of "typed" vs. "untyped" is not just confusing, it's annoying... and poorly documented! Having a different name for them to explicity say "Don't do that" would REALLY help with language clarity... and here I thought language clarity was one of Pascal's strengths and goals.

But again, the implementation often differs from the original ideals.

Side note, DAMN I hate C... not even one include into porting this over and I'm already cursing at how silly a language it is. STILL not convinced this is a joke:
https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/unix-hoax.html

As it is I've set up the "new" C99 integer types just for code clarity sake... Whoever thought "char" should be a signed 8 bit integer needs a good swift kick in the groin... but then I don't think I've EVER written anything that wasn't for a 8 bit processor that used a 8 bit signed integer.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018