Recent

Author Topic: Encoding agnostic functions for codepoints + an iterator  (Read 13214 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Encoding agnostic functions for codepoints + an iterator
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 05:04:29 pm »
Or the one I linked above
Too bad it is outdated now too
If I understand right your Internet Tools are for UTF-8 only. There is some overlap with LazUtils units.
Does it really support all Unicode combining rules (minus the latest additions)? How to make an enumerator for combined characters?

They released Unicode 9 last week
There are some new combining characters
Ok, that is not serious. Should be easy to fix.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 05:36:49 pm »
If I understand right your Internet Tools are for UTF-8 only.
yes

Does it really support all Unicode combining rules (minus the latest additions)?

yes, for those character that can be combined into  single codepoint.

There are two functions utf8proc_NFD and utf8proc_NFC to convert between decomposed and precomposed form (e.g. transforming between   ̈ a and ä, additional marks like on ḁ̩̬̪̆̃̊́ would remain unchanged). 
bbnormalizeunicode is based on theo's utf8proc port where I removed everything not needed for combining characters (got rid of 500kb of tables) and independent of all the other units in the repository. 

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 08:34:51 pm »
yes, for those character that can be combined into  single codepoint.

You mean the precomposed characters that can be represented as one codepoint, or as a codepoint for an alphabet followed by an accent mark.
That is only a subset of all combined characters.
Different exotic languages have different rules for it. Some need big tables for the info, some are algorithmic. I don't know the details and I doubt I will learn them all.

It would be nice if your Unicode stuff was isolated and usable from other projects, too.
Now there is a separate package internettools_utf8 containing one unit, but it depends on internettools package.
The dependency should be the other way around.

bbunicodeinfo and bbnormalizeunicode have duplicate implementations of utf8proc_NFD and utf8proc_NFC functions.
I will study this more ...

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:59:54 pm »
You mean the precomposed characters that can be represented as one codepoint, or as a codepoint for an alphabet followed by an accent mark.
That is only a subset of all combined characters.

Everything that has a composed codepoint

It would be nice if your Unicode stuff was isolated and usable from other projects, too.
Now there is a separate package internettools_utf8 containing one unit, but it depends on internettools package.
The dependency should be the other way around.

I do not use packages, so just copy the pas/inc.

And there is a table generator in ruby: https://github.com/benibela/utf8proc/

internettools_utf8 used to have other dependencies. Now that I have my own utf8 functions, I will remove it altogether .

bbunicodeinfo and bbnormalizeunicode have duplicate implementations of utf8proc_NFD and utf8proc_NFC functions.
I will study this more ...

Somewhere on the web is unicodeinfo.pas, which is theo's port of utf8proc

bbunicodeinfo is unicodeinfo updated to the newest utf8proc version with unicode 8

bbnormalizeunicode is bbunicodeinfo with everything removed except the de/composition stuff

This also lead to three compile modes of the internet tools. bbnormalizeunicode together with the tables in BeRo's  FLRE for upper/lower case (we have come full circle), bbunicodeinfo or theo's unicodeinfo.

BeRo

• My site
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 05:39:08 am »

PUCU is updated to Unicode 9.0.0 now on GitHub.

And furthermore, you can update PUCU always yourself, just download the most Unicode dataset of ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/ and ftp://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/ucd/extracted/ into the PUCU src/UnicodeData sub-directory and then rebuild PUCUConvertUnicode.dpr and execute it and then rebuild PUCUBuild.dpr and execute it and then you'll have already a PUCU.pas with current Unicode data tables.

serbod

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:20 pm »
Then I made an enumerator for combined accented Unicode characters. I realize this is a can of worms because the rules for combining are so complex. Accented characters are only a subset.
Thus an external library like this one from BeRo would be ideal for combined codepoint stuff.

Such big library must be optional.

For start, minimal toolset for common use needed:
- codepoints iterator/array
- conversion (ANSI/UTF-8/UTF-16/UTF-32) and normalize functions (C/D/KC/KD)
- general functions (search/replace/compare/case conversion/trim/copy/delete)
- get codepoint and whole string metadata info functions (encoding, category, plane, block, script, etc..)

Some of them already provided by operating system, may be with some autoconversion (UTF-8 > UTF16 for Windows). Some can be simplified (for WGL4/W1G). No need to pull whole unicode universe into common application. If you use encoding-agnostic function, you don't care about conversion and details, visible result is same.

So, we don't need decomposed unicode iterator - just str.normalize(D) before codepoints iterator.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 03:16:53 pm »
I have committed the units for encoding agnostic code into LazUtils package in Lazarus trunk.
See:
 http://wiki.freepascal.org/Better_Unicode_Support_in_Lazarus#CodePoint_functions_for_encoding_agnostic_code

It deals with CodePoints and supports Delphi, too.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018