Recent

Author Topic: Windows10 problems  (Read 6765 times)

user5

Windows10 problems
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:15:43 pm »
I recently ran my Lazarus program on a
friend's Windows10 computer and several problems occurred.

The first kink was that an error message said Windows couldn't find openal32.dll. My program uses OpenAl.pas etc. I did a search on my home computer for this file but the only place I found it was in the directory C:\Windows\system32 so I assume that the compiler created it.

Do I need to make sure that the program copies this file to the Windows system folder when the program is installed?

The other problem was that Windows10 repeatedly flashed a message that the program was made on an unlicensed compiler and asked whether to continue or not.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
Re: Windows10 problems
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:04:55 pm »
OpenAL is a 3d party audio library. It's not included in Windows by default.
It's better if you distribute openal32.dll with your application. The .dll doesn't have to be installed into Windows directory, it could be in the same directory as the executable.

The .dll could be downloaded from here. Or you can use the one in your home Windows/system32 directory.

user5

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:41:45 am »
I suppose that openal32.dll was put into the Windows system32 directory when I installed openal and that's why it worked okay on my computer, but not on a different computer.

I put openal32.dll into the directory with the executable as you suggested, skalogryz, but you'd think that the authors of openal would know that any executable program compiled with openal would need that .dll file so it's rather irritating that I didn't know that and it was embarrassing when my program wouldn't run because of that missing file.

Do you have any thoughts about the other problem I had in which Windows10 repeatedly flashed a message that the program was made on an unlicensed compiler? Thank you very much.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:31:36 am »
Do you have any thoughts about the other problem I had in which Windows10 repeatedly flashed a message that the program was made on an unlicensed compiler? Thank you very much.

What? :) O:-) Can you send us a screenshot about that?

I write a lot of commercial server software and it all works under any version of Windows 10.
But I do include signed binaries and instruct customers to accept my signed binaries (unless they have a microsoft developer certificate themselves in which case I compile and sign with that certificate after a recompile on-site.)

This is not necessary btw for 32 bit code. Only for 64 bit code and depends on policies.
Specialize a type, not a var.

rvk

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:32:12 am »
... but you'd think that the authors of openal would know that any executable program compiled with openal would need that .dll file so it's rather irritating that I didn't know that and it was embarrassing when my program wouldn't run because of that missing file.
The authors of OpenAL do know this. You are using a library that you installed on your computer. You could just use the same install-file to install it on all computers you want your program to run.

I'm not sure why you would be irritated (embarrassed I can imagine). You are a programmer, so if you use a dll from a third party YOU should know that you would need to distribute that dll to other computer for your program to run. That's just logical. (Maybe it's even in the documentation somewhere :))

Do you have any thoughts about the other problem I had in which Windows10 repeatedly flashed a message that the program was made on an unlicensed compiler?
What's the EXACT wording of that message? Maybe a screenshot could help too.

What compiler did you use to create that program (that gives that error)?

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:49:07 am »
Mm Our messages were too close to call, but amount to the same.

As a further note: windows 10 is not able to determine the compiler with what executable is built. It just looks for a signed binary. For that you can use several options:
- self signed. No root. In that case you have to accept that certificate on an application by application basis.
- signed with a certificate from your own certificate tree (create your own root certificate first). I use this all the time on a per customer basis but with the same (my own) root. The root certificate needs to be accepted just once.
- And Microsoft's preference: a certificate bought from Microsoft or a certificate issuer that has an intermediate MS certificate , which is ultimately signed through MS's certificate tree and with a MS root certificate. (Rather expensive for freeware) That will always work.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:00:05 am by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018