Recent

Author Topic: Emacs+CodeTools  (Read 7956 times)

Rickmeister

Emacs+CodeTools
« on: April 10, 2016, 09:47:08 pm »
“I’m using Linux. A library that emacs uses to communicate with Intel hardware.”

I'm one of those that has 'emacs --daemon' in my autostart group, got atleast 10, carefully handwritten, elisp files in my .emacs.d folder. Been using it for 20 years now, and I'm still learning! If you ever used this magnificent editor to hack in C or C++, and tried the Irony-Company autocomplete/intellisense package powered by libclang you know how awesome it is. Add a few more packages like Yasnippets and your spitting out code faster then you thought was possible ;)

Lazarus on the other hand, is a damn fine IDE - it just lacks an editor...

I've cooked up some lisp-files and a simple executable that has CodeTools running in the background, and I use a hidden buffer to pipe code and completion candidates back and forth between the editor and codetools. Not complete by far, it's not really user friendly and it still needs alot of work to be usable, right now it's not that stable and sometimes produces lots of jibberish completion candidates, but that's probably because I hacked the native executable together in about 20 minutes, just to test it out. It's this solution or remap all the IDE functions to listen to emacs key-chords :)

Is there any interest for such a package? Should I contnue to develop it? Anyone that might want to help out - could really need some help with the fpc backend, as I'm a newbie when it comes to pascal.

If there is interest in it, I'll put it on github and link to it from this thread.

AlexK

Re: Emacs+CodeTools
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:04 pm »
It's something similar to RTags that uses libclang.

I was thinking about creating a Free Pascal major mode.
Lazarus is very customizable, I managed to mimic my Emacs shortcuts in it, even Ctrl-L by a keyboard macro(moving caret up and down while recording a macro), selection, Ctrl-G after selection - as an experiment.

Emacs' built-in OPascal mode colorizes all mode switches as a wall of comments.
If parsing of mode switches in Lazarus is done by CodeTools, then it's a good idea.

Though I don't think that Emacs is heard of by many in Delphi/Free Pascal world.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 02:21:34 pm by AlexK »

jacmoe

• Jacmoe's Cyber SoapBox
Re: Emacs+CodeTools
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:24:13 am »
I am an Emacs user as well - just sayin' ;D

Anything made for Free Pascal and Emacs would be of interest to me. As a user.
more signal - less noise

TinyPortal © 2005-2018