Recent

Author Topic: Video Tutorial: Introducing Lazarus  (Read 5355 times)

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
Video Tutorial: Introducing Lazarus
« on: February 09, 2016, 09:35:42 am »
I've published a new video in my tutorial series. This new video serves as an introduction the Lazarus IDE for the uninitiated. Feel free to post this link to other websites. I'm hoping it reaches people who haven't given the idea of development with Lazarus its due consideration.

http://www.getlazarus.org/learn/tutorials/intro/

heejit

Re: Video Tutorial: Introducing Lazarus
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 10:02:47 am »
Appreciate your work

One suggestion

if user of freepascal can share there library, unit, function etc. it will be help full for new user like me to learn and to understand what freepascal can do and How to do things in freepascal.

Something like http://code.activestate.com/, http://pypi.python.org

DonAlfredo

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:03:15 am »
This is a very nice video !!
Thanks for making it.

However, it does not show the normal Lazarus.
It shows your adapted version of Lazarus.
(which is, by the way, a very good version of Lazarus)

Starting users will not recognize Lazarus from your video.
Perhaps something to take into consideration ?

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:00:51 am »
@jshah: In the future I will be producing videos showing users how to design applications, install components, extend the IDE, and share libraries. To be frank though, using a library someone wrote is just a small part of creating attractive and professional applications. It a in large part comes down to discipline. Learning to arrange both the layouts and the code in a consistent well organized and thought out manner.

@DonAlredo: The IDE can be arranged anyway a user wants, and I believe the default layout (for example from svn sources) lacks in a big way. In the spirit of putting ones the best foot forward, so to speak, I use and provide a better lay out. This hopefully translates in to greater uptake of new users. And I doubt new users will be confused at the the differences in layouts since they are already on my website where they are have been and continue to download Lazarus bundles with increasing frequency.

bee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:26 pm »
Can you also post the videos on YouTube? It's so slow to view the video directly from your site. You better create a YouTube channel for your FPC/Lazarus tutorials. YouTube is more reachable and it might generates some incomes for you too.
-Bee-

A long time pascal lover.

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:17:50 pm »
@bee: I will do that soon. Can I ask what is your connection speed?

heejit

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 12:58:01 pm »
You are correct but new user need some example to understand how things work in FreePascal and how to use the library.

May be some user submitted library can be part of FreePascal standard library..

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 04:46:05 pm »
Upvote this /programming thread to show your support for Lazarus:

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/44x5ij/consider_this_tool_when_writing_desktop/

lazjump

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 04:49:45 pm »
Great video, sysrpl!

And IMHO it would be even better if you make the visual part of the video proceed more slowly. Because people whose first/second language is not English would pay more attention to the visual part rather than the audio part. So if the visual part (like clicking and moving components) moving too fast, it could confuse the viewer.
I thought Delphi was expensive until I learned the price of ExtJS

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:00:25 pm »
@lazjump: Yes it all goes by quickly, but this video is just an introduction. I already have scripts written for a video where I step new users through writing their first application (something interesting and unusual), and a video about writing and installing custom components and controls. Those tutorials will delve into the specific  details and I'll take care to move more slowly. Thanks for the feedback!

Zath

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 05:20:37 pm »
Very well done and something that will hopefully entice more people along.
As for speed off your site, its fine for me.
I don't think it needs to be slower for non English speakers, simply get a voice over in another language.

It made me want to try out Lazarus and I already have it !

bee

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 05:33:25 am »
@bee: I will do that soon. Can I ask what is your connection speed?

I don't think speed is the problem here. I got 10 MBps connection, I think it's more than enough. Perhaps something related to routing or proxy or something, I don't know. All I know is I can view any YouTube/Vimemo videos, including the HD 1080 ones just fine, fast, and smooth. But when I play your video, it plays slowly and stutters.
-Bee-

sysrpl

• Get Lazarus
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 07:15:09 am »
@bee: I use Amazon S3 for content hosting. I just added the CloudFront service for my video bucket which will likely improve the delivery for you. Please try again and let me know if your buffering issues are fixed.

balazsszekely

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 08:44:42 am »
@sysrpl
This is good stuff! Looks, feels professional. We need more like this.

PS: Your voice reminds me "The Outer Limits" tv series control voice. "There is nothing wrong with your lazarus, do not attempt to adjust the object inspector "  :D

bee

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:40:48 pm »
@bee: I use Amazon S3 for content hosting. I just added the CloudFront service for my video bucket which will likely improve the delivery for you. Please try again and let me know if your buffering issues are fixed.
Yup, that fixed the issue. Now I can watch your video smoothly. Thank you. :)
-Bee-

TinyPortal © 2005-2018