Recent

Author Topic: Documentation forum section?  (Read 5494 times)

ArtLogi

Documentation forum section?
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:32:10 am »
Am I missing something, but in my eyes there is not Documentation section in whole forums?

While Record is a drawer and method is a clerk, when both are combined to same space it forms an concept of office, which is alias for a great suffering.

balazsszekely

Re: Documentation forum section?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:42:12 am »
http://docs.getlazarus.org/
Thanks to @sysrpl !

ArtLogi

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:51:04 am »
*Facepalm*
While Record is a drawer and method is a clerk, when both are combined to same space it forms an concept of office, which is alias for a great suffering.

ArtLogi

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »
PS. for above.

... "reality does not exist if you are not looking at it"

.. Means that documentation is irrelevant and meaningless if observer can't observe it.

balazsszekely

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:15:49 pm »
@ArtLogi
Means that documentation is irrelevant and meaningless if observer can't observe it.
Now you can observe it!  :D
Ok, I agree. There should be a link somewhere or perhaps the whole content moved here, but that's up to @sysrpl and the site administrators.
By the way, usually a quick qoogle search is more then enough. Wiki is also good, though outdated in some places.

ArtLogi

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:12 pm »
That not the only thing. If there would be a forum section for documentation it might get better over the time, right now it is so sidetrack. Unfortunately.  :(

As an example:
https://youtu.be/oSU4LNaQFRI

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:05:46 pm »
A forum section would only make sense, if there were a lot of discussions about it.
Until then such things can and should be discussed in the generic section of the forum.

Also the forum is a place for users to discuss which each other. Sometimes the developers take part in this, sometimes not).

For improvement it needs "man hours". That is, at least one person that sit down and does the work.
If you want better result it is not as much a question of discussing it here, but to actually add "man" to the "man hours" (contribute)

From past experience the forum can lead to a person deciding to contribute, but often just leads to a long discussion with no real change in the end (sadly).

If you or anyone have an idea what they would change, and if you are willing to then provide a patch for it, then you can discuss it here or on the mail list to see if it will be acceptable.
Or you can supply a small demo patch on mantis, and add more if it is accepted.

IMHO if you have concrete plans of helping the best place to discuss it, is the fpc or lazarus mail list (depending what part you want to add to).

If you need help to understand the how the help system works and is edited, then ask here.

Of course you can also just provide ideas or talk here, and hope someone else will do it.

ArtLogi

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 06:05:24 pm »
What is mantis?

So should these two (and other similar) pages be one?
http://freepascal.org/docs-html/current/rtl/strutils/index.html
http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/rtl/strutils/index-5.html

Where is Unit Ucomplex information I can not find it anymore (while month or two ago I did find a somekind of reference to it behind freepascal.org) with google nor link soup in freepascal.org

I'm willing to contribute, but before that I would need to get the basics right and for that I would need the information that is now a) nonexistent b) buried somewhere. See the contradiction here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:10:09 pm by ArtLogi »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 06:48:12 pm »
mantis is the bugtracker. Sorry should have been clearer. It is also used to submit patches. But not for discussion.

As for the help itself, I do not maintain it. Afaik it is generated using fpdoc. So the source of the help is somewhere in the svn repositories.

As for your 2 links: look at the very top line. There is a list of links. the current selected link is in a diff color.

The one with less info is "overview"
It does have a (very very) brief textual description of the unit. (Anything not on any of the other pages)

The other page lists the procedures.

there are also pages for types and constants and other things.

-----------
Independent of the www. prefix, pages exists with and without "current".

I have no idea what the difference is (or when there is a diff).
I guess: different fpc versions

TinyPortal © 2005-2018