Recent

Author Topic: Preference - Style  (Read 4686 times)

dolemi

Preference - Style
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:33:35 pm »
Preference - Style

======== Pascal Style ========
Nocase
Line_Comment            = //
Block_Comment_Start     = (*
Block_Comment_End       = *)
Block_Comment_Start_Alt = {
Block_Comment_End_Alt   = }
String_Chars = '
Open_Brace  = "(" "["
Close_Brace = ")" "]"
Open_Fold   = "begin" "repeat"
Close_Fold  = "end" "until"

========= C++ Style ========
Line_Comment        = //
Block_Comment_Start = /*
Block_Comment_End   = */
Escape Char         = \
String_Chars        = "'
Open_Brace  = "{" "(" "["
Close_Brace = "}" ")" "]"
Open_Fold   = "{"
Close_Fold  = "}"

======== Java Style ===========
Line_Comment        = //
Block_Comment_Start = /*
Block_Comment_End   = */
Escape Char  = \
Open_Brace   =  "{" "(" "[" "<"
Close_Brace  = "}" ")" "]" ">"
Open_Fold    = "{"
Close_Fold   = "}"

If Lazarus can read the above configuration file when it starts, and makes a genetic syntax, then people can select one of the preferences, or design own preference style.
In this case, multi-million-dollars projects can be easier to migrate to Lazarus from other languages, and people fell much familiar with new language Lazarus.

I have done several commercial migration projects from Delphi to C#. However I have not received any request of migration to Delphi from other languages. It has the reasons behind the scenes no matter how excellent Delphi engine is. Project managers or bosses make decision which computer language to be used instead of developers. They have different considerations.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Preference - Style
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:39:32 pm »
It is better to do such things in fairly simple source to source converters, that also take care of the many other changes.

There is no good technical reason to have this on the compiler level.

dolemi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:13:16 pm »
I agree with you the technical reason, However I am more focusing on marketing Lazarus to the managers who hire developers, without commercial and business supports, some languages will disappear.

lazjump

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:27:20 pm »
No offense, but I doubt such configuration of styles would help in migrating multi-million dollars projects...

And I also doubt that a manager would make decision to use Lazarus because programmers could use, say, Java style "open_fold" & "close_fold" in Lazarus.

If only programming is all about syntax...
I thought Delphi was expensive until I learned the price of ExtJS

dolemi

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »
Business people consider risks and costs.

When two dishes of food are look similar, people willing to taste the new one without too much think. If two completed different foods, you are hesitant to taste new one, or never taste for whole life no matter how good is the food.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:38:43 pm »
I agree with you the technical reason, However I am more focusing on marketing Lazarus to the managers who hire developers, without commercial and business supports, some languages will disappear.

I don't think basterizing the language to some new mix (which is not compatible with anything out there) will help.

Such business people use products from large companies for which with large hirable programmer bases exist. Some minor enhancements on a minority language won't sway them. And I think in discussions like this it is way too much about language. The real problems are libraries/framework, not language.

If you really feel this way, as suggested, invest in a complex of converters and interoperability libraries (e.g. I use FPC dlls in my Delphi programs). At least that might convince some people that Lazarus is a viable tool next to C# (e.g. for standalone utility tooling)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 03:42:32 pm by marcov »

dolemi

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:55:52 pm »
I use half dozen computer languages for global firms. I compare them all the time. I know the strengths and the weakness of all those languages. I understand how businesses make decision to select new computer languages. What I have suggested are based on my experiences and other developers expectations.

lazjump

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:43:17 am »
You seem to have high qualification in software development and in business as well. Perhaps it would help if you introduce yourself formally: who you are (and maybe your company), what you do for living, and what you could do that will affect the future of Lazarus.

Otherwise, people would tend to see that you are trying to push personal preferences (that do not have benefits for others) in the name of "multi-million-dollars projects" and other big things that sounds "dreamy".
I thought Delphi was expensive until I learned the price of ExtJS

TinyPortal © 2005-2018