Recent

Author Topic: IDE form designer is not WSIWYG (Form size changes at runtime)  (Read 9050 times)

emaza

• http://GerenciaDeCondominios.com
IDE form designer is not WSIWYG (Form size changes at runtime)
« on: December 29, 2015, 02:02:29 am »
Hi

I am using Lazarus 1.4.4 on a notebook with windows 10.

I have set my windows screen config to 125% because I find it dificult to read at 100%. This gives me everything slightly bigger in windows and all aps and programs, including the Lazarus IDE except that the forms inside the IDE are shown at design as they would be when run at at 100%.

If I set sizes and fonts at what there seems right, they will be too big at runtime in my (125%) PC and will probably be too big for those users that have their screens at 100% and like and use small texts and boxes.

If I try to design them so they look right to me when run with screen at 125% It will be very dificult, for they will be too small in the IDE which ALWAYS shows them at 100%, irrespective of my screen setting.

Any way to have the forms in the IDE change according to my screen configuration as everythlng does? Is this a bug?

UPDATE: From further testing I see I was wrong. It is not that the form is shown at 100%. What is hapening is that no matter the screen seting, it is always smaller in the IDE and larger when the exe file runs, This did not hapen when I was using XP.
(Started this topic under IDE - Editor by mistake with a difrent title. I believe it is now properly located -Sorry)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:33:31 am by emaza »

Ñuño_Martínez

• Burdjia
Re: IDE form designer is not WSIWYG (Form size changes at runtime)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:06:59 pm »

UPDATE: From further testing I see I was wrong. It is not that the form is shown at 100%. What is hapening is that no matter the screen seting, it is always smaller in the IDE and larger when the exe file runs, This did not hapen when I was using XP.
(Started this topic under IDE - Editor by mistake with a difrent title. I believe it is now properly located -Sorry)
Anyway, it seems that something doesn't work as expected. I mean, sizes should be the same in design and in execution, shouldn't they?
Are you interested in game programming? Join the Pascal Game Development community!
Also visit the Game Development Portal

emaza

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 07:48:44 pm »
Right Ñuño. I would like to know if it is something I set wrong or if it is happening to all. Anybody out there designing in windows 10?

JD

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »
Right Ñuño. I would like to know if it is something I set wrong or if it is happening to all. Anybody out there designing in windows 10?

I'm using Lazarus in Windows 10. I haven't noticed this problem you mentioned but if you can create a small test project, I'll gladly test it for you on my system.

JD
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

emaza

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:28 am »
Many thanks JD. I set windows at 100 % and rebooted to be safe, then made a new test program, and... No problem! Went back to my original test program and... no problem!  :-[

I think that it may have been that I was changing back and forth from 100% to 125% wiithout rebooting or without restarting Lazarus or both. I will do more carefull testing and come back in a few days..

Happy New Year to all !

JD

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 12:21:50 pm »
Many thanks JD. I set windows at 100 % and rebooted to be safe, then made a new test program, and... No problem! Went back to my original test program and... no problem!  :-[

I think that it may have been that I was changing back and forth from 100% to 125% wiithout rebooting or without restarting Lazarus or both. I will do more carefull testing and come back in a few days..

Happy New Year to all !

So glad it turned out fine in the end.

JD
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

emaza

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 01:18:48 am »
No such luck JD, after carefull testing I can confirm that the IDE shows the forms as they will look when run at 100% irespective of screen setting. My "update" and subsequent coments were wrong. I have test program I can send but it is 8 Mb. I will try to find out how to shrink it.

Would be great if there was a way to get the IDE designer to respond to the screen setting.

emaza

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 04:28:26 am »
Here
Without the exe files 126 Kb.

merlin352

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:19:55 am »
Hello

I have a 4K -Monitor set at 175% scaling and can confirm that.

Additonally the IDE itself does not scale correctly. I add some screenshots. (ups have to split them up) By ex. the settings dialog is ok, whereas the refactoring or source dialogs open partially unreadable. The iconband is not scaled at all. The properties dialog has an incorrect linespacing.

Greetings

merlin352

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:43 am »
2nd screenshot

merlin352

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 10:21:24 am »
3,4th screenshot

smodra

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 01:24:44 am »
I also had this problem on Windows 10.

I eventually fixed it by altering the compatibility settings on the Lazarus shortcut.

Right click the shortcut - go to Compatibility and tick the box 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings'.

No issue since then.

emaza

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 02:37:22 am »
Thanks smodra

Will try your tip. Regretfully will not be able to do it before next weekend  :(

TinyPortal © 2005-2018