Recent

Author Topic: Direct access to the I2C subsystem.  (Read 3580 times)

guest60499

Direct access to the I2C subsystem.
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:14:35 pm »
Does anyone know if this is possible? I did some cursory searching but all I can find is related to driver development. I'm after something more like direct PCIe or IO port access.

As to why I'm asking here: It seems like some users are quite knowledgeable about Windows, and what I'm after doesn't seem to be on the Internet at large.

jma_sp

• El conocimiento si ocupa lugar.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:12:29 pm by jma_sp »
Devuan Beowulf 3.0( JWM/ROX/iDesk) - Puppy Linux,  Haiku OS,.ReactOS 0.4.xx  - FreeDos .

guest60499

Re: Direct access to the I2C subsystem.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:54:35 pm »
I know how to access it at a low level on Linux, but I'm not aware of any facilities to do so on Windows.

Using the keyword "SMBus" did lead me to: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7072949/simple-way-to-read-values-from-the-smbus-in-c-on-a-windows-machine.

Quote from: Polynomial
To save anyone who sees this the time and effort - Windows has no native SMBus support. It does not communicate with SMBus at all. It leaves everything to the BIOS, which exposes limited functionality to certain SMBus devices over AHCI.

Which seems to imply such a mechanism might not exist, however I'm not really sure I find that believable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018