Recent

Author Topic: FPC 3.0.0 "Pestering Peacock"  (Read 71510 times)

gour

Re: FPC 3.0.0 "Pestering Peacock"
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 10:55:03 am »
Significant step forward :). Now we need more detailed optional RTTI, anonymous methods and attributes ^^. Bye bye Delphi.

Recently I bought Object Pascal Handbook (by Marco Canto) and plan to use it exclusively with FPC/Lazarus, so wonder if there are some more features besides the ones listed above which are not (yet) supported in FPC?

Luc

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 11:17:14 am »
This is really great news. Many many thanks to all the FPC team for writing such a good compiler !  :)
Win 11 ARM (Running in Parallel VM - Mac OSX) - Lazarus 2.2.6 - i386-win32/win64

silvestre

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 12:10:47 pm »
Congratulations. Developers, great job !! :)

RNBW

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 12:37:48 pm »
Pestering Peacock looks interesting, but when trying to incorporate into Lazarus, there doesn't appear to be a Sources folder and I keep getting an error message.  I have installed fpc 3.0 to C:\fpc

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:52 pm »
With FPC releases, sources are a separate download.

Thaddy

• Probably until I exterminate Putin.
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 04:01:07 pm »
Significant step forward :). Now we need more detailed optional RTTI, anonymous methods and attributes ^^. Bye bye Delphi.

Recently I bought Object Pascal Handbook (by Marco Canto) and plan to use it exclusively with FPC/Lazarus, so wonder if there are some more features besides the ones listed above which are not (yet) supported in FPC?

Not many. Note that there are and always will be some quirks between FPC and Delphi but not anything (as it stands..) that can't be solved both ways by an experienced programmer that is not afraid to read documentation (ok, there's the limiting factor) or sound advice on this forum.

I know these points are being worked on. Check the public SVN source tree.

And now for something completely different but on subject and very opinionated:
- Anonymous methods are great. Would be very cool to have. Some work done, I believe.
- Anything RTTI extra still makes me sick. Use a script language instead, like PHP.
- Attributes are even worse for a compiled language. (If you need it, the language is not expressive enough. That is not the case.)

Let me explain I use both Delphi and FPC for a very very long time professionally. (Yes, Both)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:04:27 pm by Thaddy »
Specialize a type, not a var.

gour

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 05:44:30 pm »
Not many. Note that there are and always will be some quirks between FPC and Delphi but not anything (as it stands..) that can't be solved both ways by an experienced programmer that is not afraid to read documentation (ok, there's the limiting factor) or sound advice on this forum.

Good to know. ;)

And now for something completely different but on subject and very opinionated:

Even better. :-)

I did not bother to get a closer look what the above mentioned features stand for in Delphi, so it seems FPC is even better in this regard. :-)

Let me explain I use both Delphi and FPC for a very very long time professionally. (Yes, Both)

I'm happy to hear it...just curious, what is your development platform for FPC?

Thaddy

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 05:56:53 pm »
varies between copy con program.pp program XXX;begin end.crtl-z , fp, Notepad, D7, D2007 XE2 and Lazarus.
Honest. Very Honest. Depends.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:58:38 pm by Thaddy »

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 10:37:15 am »
Not really. It was about two years ago during a FPC hackathon when it turned out the hotel where we staying had a bunch of peacocks. They were very noisy and annoying. ... and sb proposed to call it "Pestering Peacock", and that stuck
I envision something like "FPC 3.1.0 'Ice Beer' has been released" :)

Personally, I really liked pascal community (fpc, lazarus, mseide ... and so on) staying away from giving fancy names to their releases.
I don't really understand this new modern trend of giving meaningless names to releases.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 11:50:26 am »
I envision something like "FPC 3.1.0 'Ice Beer' has been released" :)

Personally, I really liked pascal community (fpc, lazarus, mseide ... and so on) staying away from giving fancy names to their releases.
I don't really understand this new modern trend of giving meaningless names to releases.

I guess it was one of a kind, and we go back to pictures of Cheetahs again.

gour

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 11:52:33 am »
varies between copy con program.pp program XXX;begin end.crtl-z , fp, Notepad, D7, D2007 XE2 and Lazarus.
Honest. Very Honest. Depends.

So, Windows is main OS, right?

Thaddy

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 01:40:45 pm »
Nope. It's - server side - Debian based linuxes atm. But my development setup is still windows centric and I use cross-compilation a lot. Also, all test suites are written for both platforms and debugging takes place on the platform itself.

gour

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 05:09:42 pm »
Nope. It's - server side - Debian based linuxes atm.

That's interesting in a sense you have not jumped to the latest called 'Go lang'. ;)

RNBW

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 09:21:12 pm »
Marcov:

Thanks.  I'd not picked up that Sources was a separate download.  All sorted.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 09:34:16 pm »
That's interesting in a sense you have not jumped to the latest called 'Go lang'. ;)

Maybe he is not writing social networks integrated with search engines :_)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018