Forum > General

Using multiple forms

(1/5) > >>

dani.user:
Hello
I am new to lazarus. I want to ask you how I could do something like this: I have created 2 forms and I want to show the second one when I click on a button on the first form.
Thank you

theo:
File -> New Form

then in Unit1

--- Code: ---...

implementation

uses Unit2;

{ TForm1 }

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Form2.ShowModal;
end;  

--- End code ---

matthijs:
I usually remove all forms (except main form) from autocreate list. So therefor I would prefer to do it like this:

--- Code: ---
procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  Form2 := TForm2.Create(nil);
  try
    Form2.ShowModal;
  finally
    Form2.Free;
  end;
end;

--- End code ---

My opinion is, that this is safer, as you can never be sure when the user clicks on Button1 Form2 is assigned.

theo:

--- Quote from: "matthijs" ---I usually remove all forms (except main form) from autocreate list.
---
My opinion is, that this is safer, as you can never be sure when the user clicks on Button1 Form2 is assigned.
--- End quote ---

I don't understand your comment and why you want to make it more complicated than necessary for dani.user.
Why shouldn't Form2 be assigned?

CCRDude:
When you've reached a dozen forms or so, it makes sense from a memory consumption point to create modal forms dynamically.

Anyway, I only see Form2.ShowModal; mentioned (which means a modal dialog - the user can't get back to the main form until he closes Form2) - but whether dani.user wanted a modal or nonmodal dialog (just Form2.Show) is still unclear, so this discussion may be unnecessary :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version