Recent

Author Topic: Several versions of FPC  (Read 4009 times)

Abelisto

Several versions of FPC
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:52:26 am »
I trying to have stable (2.6.4) and trunk (3.1.1) of FPC at the same time. First of all I was confused by running ./fpc from installation path where fpc was compiling: ./fpc calls ppcx64 as system default, not as part of the trunk binary. It was distressingly when I call ./fpc from trunk and have something like `Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.4` instead of `3.1.1` So I copy `ppcx64` from `~/dev/fpc/foo/lib/fpc/3.1.1/ppcx64` to the trunk `bin` after building FPC from sources and it is like to works properly after that. Is it right way or there is something more 'official'?
PS: And is there some chance to have `.deb` packages for betas/snapshots at the FPC FTP server?

Thanks.
OS: Linux Mint + MATE, Compiler: FPC trunk (yes, I am risky!), IDE: Lazarus trunk

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Several versions of FPC
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:07:48 am »
Not default, but one can select the ppc* using -V and -P options. Requires to only rename one of the ppcx64.

See last bits of this paragraph of the buildfaq

Abelisto

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »
so there is no common decision like:

sudo apt-get install subversion
cd ~
mkdir d
cd d
svn co http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk fpc
cd fpc
make clean all install INSTALL_PREFIX=~/d/fpc/foo
cd ~/d/fpc/foo/bin
./fpc

And get 'Free Pascal Compiler version 3.1.1 [2015/11/02] for x86_64'

?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:48:15 pm by Abelisto »
OS: Linux Mint + MATE, Compiler: FPC trunk (yes, I am risky!), IDE: Lazarus trunk

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:58:16 pm »
No. Install does only install into a prefix. It has no record of older installations and in general doesn't do anything that can be considered "configuration".

Abelisto

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:05:14 pm »
I skipped configuration because it is looks like for win OSes with single path instead of *nix with usr/bin, usr/share ~.config etc. I told about fpcmkcfg utility.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:08:22 pm by Abelisto »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:06:25 pm »
I skipped configuration because it is looks like for win OSes with single path instead of *nix with usr/bin, usr/share ~.config etc.

I'm sure you know what you are doing  ;D

Abelisto

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
I skipped configuration because it is looks like for win OSes with single path instead of *nix with usr/bin, usr/share ~.config etc.

I'm sure you know what you are doing  ;D

I am sure too  :D But as Windows user I was used to 'out-of-box' software and when I killed the last Win entity  >:D at my home and trying to use FPC at Linux  :-* then I encountered some questions...

TinyPortal © 2005-2018