Recent

Author Topic: NetBSD, DragonflyBSD or OpenBSD support  (Read 9866 times)

darktrym

NetBSD, DragonflyBSD or OpenBSD support
« on: October 16, 2015, 06:00:25 am »
Hello,
are there support for any of this platforms?

balazsszekely

Re: NetBSD, DragonflyBSD or OpenBSD support
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 07:13:13 am »
Hi darktrym,

Welcome to the forum! Supported platforms: http://wiki.freepascal.org/Platform_list

regards,
GetMem

darktrym

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »
In other words there are not so much BSD support for curent releases beside FreeBSD, is that correct, i never look into the code? The given link looks a litte bit unmaintained. I see no information how good is the support, which version can you build & run.
When i summarize no entries in pkgsrc(fpc or lazarus, problems with NetBSD), OpenBSD ports has only fpc the same like DragonFly. Lazarus on OpenBSD could be broken.

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:47:46 pm »
are there support for any of this platforms?
I believe OpenBSD and NetBSD are supported by FPC, but not part of the "official" FPC list - this is primarily due to those platforms not having a dedicated maintainer. I guess the Lazarus project is similar. Like I tell everybody, don't bother installing FPC from distro packages, us the official FPC installer downloads instead. For Lazarus, I would simply say, get the latest source code - or a source download of the last official release, then build it yourself. I have had great success with this over the last 5 years.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:50:42 pm by Graeme »
--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

ab1jx

• Just some photos on Nikonians
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:15:11 am »
I run mostly OpenBSD.  FPC 3.0.0 is in ports for 5.9 and current.  There's an oldish Lazarus in 5.9 ports but 1.6 is in current.  I had both working before I ever looked in ports.  The ports are inevitably going to be behind the times so if you want something cutting edge don't bother.  For instance I'm trying to do Android and for any Android made in the last year even FPC releases aren't new enough.  In the ports patches for FPC are some changes to types used for ino_t, clock_t, time_t, tv_sec setting them to cuint64.  Otherwise they seem to be mostly paths and taking out OpenGL..

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:16:36 pm »
In the ports patches for FPC are some changes to types used for ino_t, clock_t, time_t, tv_sec setting them to cuint64.
Could you supply those patches to FPC via Mantis. That way those can be integrated in FPC officially. I have done similar in the past for FreeBSD, and they got integrated with FPC. The FPC team can't test or maintain every possible target (as good as they do the more popular targets), so they often need some help from the community that actually use those targets. ;-)
--

darktrym

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »
I have another question. Is it right when i need a new version of fpc i need a previous version. So in the case of NetBSD there no 2.6.4 in the repo. So the proposals cross compile from Linux(insane approach) or download the binaries for i386/amd64 from soureforge to "bootstrap" newer version?
So there isn't a really bootstrapping from a widely used compiler toolchain.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 09:39:36 pm by darktrym »

Graeme

• Graeme on the web
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 12:50:03 am »
As far as I understand (but I could be wrong) is that you can bootstrap a FPC without an earlier FPC binary. It's simply a bit more work. So if you can download a previous release binary for the sake of building the next FPC version, then that is the much easier route to follow. I personally download the official FPC release tar.gz files to get the ball rolling. After that any future upgrades [straight from the code repository] are a no brainer.
--

TinyPortal © 2005-2018