Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.4.4 Release  (Read 55166 times)

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Lazarus 1.4.4 Release
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 08:54:00 pm »
So I will inform you today, that the installer (lazarus-1.4.4-fpc-2.6.4-cross-i386-win32-win64.exe) does not Work on Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222 B

The file you name is for 64 bit systems (though the installer itself IIRC is 32bit).

For 32 bit systems you would download from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/Lazarus%201.4.4/
the file lazarus-1.4.4-fpc-2.6.4-win32.exe

direct link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/Lazarus%20Windows%2032%20bits/Lazarus%201.4.4/lazarus-1.4.4-fpc-2.6.4-win32.exe/download

Though I can't test right now if that works any better.

If the installer works, you still need to rebuild lazarus, as indicated: " Win98 and WinNT IDE needs building with flag -dWIN9XPLATFORM."

Azvareth

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 09:10:17 pm »
Obviously I care, You can't use that version on older versions...

The information is wrong, My suggestion is that you update it. Not change the codebase.

Is just me, or do I smell a certain attitude her? I F Know that W98 is not supported, but one could at least assume that old information and old downloads that states it should "work" - should actually do it, otherwise it should not be stated as such..

//Jaha så var det med det!!!... But I am searching back to a version that actually works with W98, BECAUSE I need it, and don't bother with a reply that is not constructive.

And to the second reply.... Thanks

I will test that, my reply was to the one who does not care...

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:12:14 pm by Azvareth »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 09:22:02 pm »
Also looking at the release statement, the sentence "  Win98 and WinNT IDE needs building with flag -dWIN9XPLATFORM." is a bit ambiguous.

It leaves it open, if you have to rebuild after the installation (with the installer), or if you have to build form sources (i.e., the installer is not meant to even work).
As I said I cant test that myself.

There is a zip file with the sources. But to use that you need a separate installer for fpc first.
They are avail here https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Win32/
Fpc 2.6.4 is probably the one you need.

In either case: To rebuild the IDE, you need to make sure the fpc bin folder is your PATH.
Then change into the Lazarus directory (that has subdirectories ide, components, lcl and others) and run
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. make bigide   OPT="-dWIN9XPLATFORM"
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Compiling_and_running_Lazarus

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:23:45 pm by Martin_fr »

Azvareth

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 09:56:20 pm »
Also looking at the release statement, the sentence "  Win98 and WinNT IDE needs building with flag -dWIN9XPLATFORM." is a bit ambiguous.

It leaves it open, if you have to rebuild after the installation (with the installer), or if you have to build form sources (i.e., the installer is not meant to even work).
As I said I cant test that myself.

There is a zip file with the sources. But to use that you need a separate installer for fpc first.
They are avail here https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Win32/
Fpc 2.6.4 is probably the one you need.

In either case: To rebuild the IDE, you need to make sure the fpc bin folder is your PATH.
Then change into the Lazarus directory (that has subdirectories ide, components, lcl and others) and run
Code: Pascal  [Select][+][-]
  1. make bigide   OPT="-dWIN9XPLATFORM"
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Compiling_and_running_Lazarus

Thank you: I downloaded from the link you provided (the installer) I installed to C:\DEV\Lazarus
I added the path to FPC BIN I386 folder and FPC BIN to autoexec.bat PATH=%PATH%;path2FPCBIN;path2FPCBINi386
restarted and then (As I have D7 installed) i renamed a folder in the searchpath to borland make and did a quick reading on the reference link you provided.

Then I located myself in lazarus rootdir and in 4DOS i typed "make bigide OPT="-dWIN9XPLATFORM"

And it worked for a while, but bailed out somewhere with "can't find c:", I will try again with Windows command.com

//this is just for feedback not for further help - if someone else is searching for the same thing.
//I appreciate the help given to me, and I will get it to work eventually. -Thanks!

[edit: typos]

[Late update]

It does not work with this method, everything compiles as it should, it builds lazarus.exe and startlazarus.exe - But it still adds a reference to some missing Kernel32.DLL function called Process32FirstW. Thus LAzarus can't be started. I will try some earlier version of Lazarus.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:14:23 pm by Azvareth »

Martin_fr

• Administrator
    • wiki
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »
" i renamed a folder in the searchpath to borland make"
You renamed it to become "borland make" or you renamed it to become something else?

In case of the former: AFAIK the Borland version of make is not compatible. You should not include it, if you build Lazarus.
There is a "make" in the bin folder of fpc.

IIRC, windres (which is included, but which is 3rd party and we can not change/fix it) has issues with spaces in path names. So you may need to work in a folder without spaces (if win98 allows spaces in folders at all).

Azvareth

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:17 pm »
" i renamed a folder in the searchpath to borland make"
You renamed it to become "borland make" or you renamed it to become something else?

In case of the former: AFAIK the Borland version of make is not compatible. You should not include it, if you build Lazarus.
There is a "make" in the bin folder of fpc.

IIRC, windres (which is included, but which is 3rd party and we can not change/fix it) has issues with spaces in path names. So you may need to work in a folder without spaces (if win98 allows spaces in folders at all).

actually I renamed the whole borland folder so it would not be in the search path... Windows 98 allows spaces, however it is something else with DOS and command.com so names there is somewhat cryptic, mine is: "C:\DEV\LAZARUS\FPC\2.6.4\BIN\I386-W~1" which is ...\bin\i386-win32

So no, no spaces.

//Now I leave this project for tonight...

and again - thanks.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018