Recent

Author Topic: Basic question on Lazarus installation (admin vs. non-admin)  (Read 5783 times)

Stephan P.

Basic question on Lazarus installation (admin vs. non-admin)
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:16:53 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm still fairly new to Lazarus, and coming from Delphi I'm still working out some differences regarding the installation of my component library.

One thing I noticed is that I'm not yet sure I fully understand the installation concept of Lazarus itself :-). I should say though that when working with Lazarus, I'm logged in under a regular account, without admin rights.

Obviously, the Lazarus installer needs admin rights, since it needs to copy things such as a the Qt libraries to the Windows system directories.

But when I afterwards run the installed Lazarus under a regular user account (for now I tested this a few times on an old XP machine), I noticed a couple of problems.

1) The "directory for building test projects" is set to a directory only accessible to the admin user under which Lazarus was installed, so I need to change this manually.

2) When I try to recompile the IDE (after adding my own packages), I get error messages saying "unable to delete old state file..." (see attached screenshot).

Are these general problems with the Lazarus installer (e.g. not setting the access/ownership rights of the some of the files properly), or am I missing something and not doing it right? :-\

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Stephan

howardpc

Re: Basic question on Lazarus installation (admin vs. non-admin)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 01:23:29 pm »
So Windows... but you don't say which version (is this on Win 10?) and whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit system. These are not insignificant details.

Stephan P.

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 01:26:21 pm »
Sorry, I only mentioned XP. It's a 32bit Windows XP laptop, and the Lazarus version is the latest release version (1.4.2).

derek.john.evans

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »
RE: The "directory for building test projects" is set to a directory only accessible to the admin user under which Lazarus was installed

I guess it should be set to a temp path macro, so it changes for each user.

RE: When I try to recompile the IDE (after adding my own packages), ....

Unfortunately, Lazarus doesn't have dynamic packages like Delphi, so the IDE needs to be recompiled.

Thats something you would not allow via regular accounts.

Stephan P.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »
Re: I guess it should be set to a temp path macro, so it changes for each user.

Yes, that would make more sense.

Re: Unfortunately, Lazarus doesn't have dynamic packages like Delphi, so the IDE needs to be recompiled.

Yes, I know.

Re: Thats something you would not allow via regular accounts.

You mean this limitation is there on purpose? Then why don't I have the same effect on Windows 7 and 10? I just tried it, I have no problems installing Lazarus under an admin account on Windows 7 and 10 and then recompiling the IDE under a normal account...  :-\

Stephan P.

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 03:11:35 pm »
Re: Maybe its related to this:

I thought it maybe had to do with the fact that I'm installing Lazarus in d:\lazarus instead. But I just made a test on my brand new Windows 10 laptop: installing Lazarus in c:\lazarus under an admin account and then recompiling the IDE under a normal account is no problem, no warnings or anything.

derek.john.evans

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
Maybe try to manually rename/delete the file in question to see what happens.

Or, run lazarus.exe as admin user. It must be some kinda admin issue related to XP.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:42:03 pm by Geepster »

serge_t

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 05:11:13 pm »
Setting full access to lazarus folder for current user solved the problem for me.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018