Recent

Author Topic: Windows 10 themes : Preferred options ?  (Read 11658 times)

Zath

Windows 10 themes : Preferred options ?
« on: August 27, 2015, 10:44:57 am »
I have Windows 10 installed on one of my machines.
The new minimalist icons etc. of Windows 10, designed for mobile items, looks awful on desktop apps. Even simple things like the minimise/maximise/close icons on the top right of a form are now spread ridiculously wide apart.

Do we have to simply accept this new format or can we override it ?
Even Win 7 looked fine with Lazarus and Delphi.

Is there a preferred option to choose when making a programme for Win 10?

Thanks for any input.

balazsszekely

Re: Windows 10 themes : Preferred options ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:53 pm »
@Zath
The new minimalist icons etc. of Windows 10, designed for mobile items, looks awful on desktop apps. Even simple things like the minimise/maximise/close icons on the top right of a form are now spread ridiculously wide apart.
I don't like it either, but this is the default style. Take a look at the windows file explorer vs. lazarus form(attachment). I don't see what is the problem. :D

Zath

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:28 pm »
Yes, they look the same but why are they so far apart ?
Someone at Microsoft has come up with a theme/scheme or whatever you call it and now it becomes the defacto standard.

We all know how bad the old Win 3.1 icon/glyphs look and now they've gone to something almost as bad.

The industry has spent years trying to get graphics to look beautiful using higher and higher colour bit depth and HD etc. only to have a funny five minutes and go back 20 years.

Madness.

balazsszekely

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 02:17:21 pm »
Yes, they look the same but why are they so far apart ?
Better tap, touch capability maybe? So you don't close your application accidentally on tablet/mobile for instance.

We all know how bad the old Win 3.1 icon/glyphs look and now they've gone to something almost as bad.
The industry has spent years trying to get graphics to look beautiful using higher and higher colour bit depth and HD etc. only to have a funny five minutes and go back 20 years.
Madness.
I totally agree with you on this one!  They should at least add the possibility to return to win7 style on desktop.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:24:10 pm by GetMem »

Zath

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 03:38:06 pm »
When you install Win 10, you get options for mobile or desktop settings.
If desktop, all these "mobile orientated" options shouldn't appear.

Perhaps Lazarus needs to make provision for mobile/desktop options.

sam707

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:30:56 am »
trash windows, buy linux =it is for FREE, HAHAHAHA

yep, microsho(f)t engineers put 'professional' drawings (not designs just bullshit drawings) on which they spent EXPENSIVE years of researches that we all paid... and finally they fooled us like if we were idiots, because my 6 years old grand son could make better drawings in ONLY ONE afternoon ;) (maybe he deserves a ferrari or a yacht dont you think?) same ferrari and yacht than  the microsoft "supposed" engineers hehehe

SO!!! I Highly recommend you to not pay no more for craps like microsoft products, and use FREE better tools under linux
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:44:52 am by sam707 »

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 06:35:58 am »

Thanks for any input.

I like the new look. I always hated the red close button that always distract me, Now I can read everything in peace.

Also I programmed my own styles for my applications to fit the new look with nice results.

You can get back to the old Windows 95 look if you prefer, disable themes and that's all.

I don't like ubuntu is slow as hell, that blured bar on the left !!! The minimalist linux are just ok, I prefer windows every day.

sam707

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 07:38:56 am »

Thanks for any input.

I like the new look. I always hated the red close button that always distract me, Now I can read everything in peace.

Also I programmed my own styles for my applications to fit the new look with nice results.

You can get back to the old Windows 95 look if you prefer, disable themes and that's all.

I don't like ubuntu is slow as hell, that blured bar on the left !!! The minimalist linux are just ok, I prefer windows every day.

linux slow? how comes that i can emulate windows 7 in a virtualbox runing linux in a windows 8 and THAT emulated windows is faster than the non emulated underlaying one.. Either you have gloves and are a pain at computers either ALL benchmarks over the world are liying from years HAHAHAHAHAH
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:45:22 am by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 07:40:28 am »
ubuntu startup 23 secs on one of my laptops, on the same type of laptop windows 8 startup = 48 secs

Faster MY ASS

mdalacu

• dmSimpleApps
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:02:44 am »
I love Xubuntu  :D No more windoze for me since 2008.  :D
Also the development for windoze i do it on ubuntu using win lazarus under WINE. Works like a charm!

Zath

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:02:33 am »
Although not the most technical of questions, this thread is about the new layout of Windows 10 and how Lazarus can be made to handle it.

Please don't go off on a tangent about Linux. It's irrelevant here.

Thanks.

mig-31

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:21:53 am »
Yes, it about Win10, but I think we should published here a new awful issues in Win10 with spying functions (secure dangerous) and show users the option to migrate to other operation system Linux (Ubuntu based, SUSE, Mageia, Fedora and so on) or BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD).
Most users don't know nothing about alternative OS, which is simply met its requirements.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:23:34 am by mig-31 »
Lazarus 2.2.6 - OpenSuse Leap 15.4, Mageia 8, CentOS 7

Zath

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:08:09 pm »
Yes, it about Win10, but I think we should published here a new awful issues in Win10 with spying functions (secure dangerous) and show users the option to migrate to other operation system Linux (Ubuntu based, SUSE, Mageia, Fedora and so on) or BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD).
Most users don't know nothing about alternative OS, which is simply met its requirements.

If the title of the thread was Windows 10 or alternative O/S then I'd agree.
However, it isn't so I repeat, please don't discuss Linux here.

My issue is with the visual impact of Windows 10 within the Lazarus/Delphi environment after the minimalist changes, not speed or security issues of Linux over Windows.
Speed and Security are obviously very important issues in their own right but, once again, are not relevant here.
If you want to discuss these, then make a new thread.
Cheers.

sam707

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 02:30:25 am »
oh ok! then discuss the color of the red box that is red hahahah

anyway there is NO discution possible between microsoft and linux when you only know few facts (historical or not)

1) microsoft started its fame and made money on a kind of fraud while unix did not and will not

2) 99% servers and high tech enterprises wordwide (comprising NASA, governments and police) are using linux while 99% of 'familly guys' hobbyists PRETENDING to be pro are using microsoft

3) for centuries and centuries, idiots prefer to pay where it can be free (vassal sheeps pyramid system), its just a mental thing to feel quiet :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:35:10 am by sam707 »

shobits1

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 06:48:12 am »
sam707, why don't just shut it >:(
he asked about windows not linux (or even comparison between the two OSs). if you have problem/s with windows then don't post in this thread otherwise if you can help in the context of this thread we will appreciate.

BTW, we all know (to some extent at least) about the two OSs, and I can assure you that many has tried both of them and know by experience some of the positive and negative of both, so stop you are not talking to ignorants here.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018