Forum > Third party

TurboBird needs new owner

(1/6) > >>

motaz:
I have started development of TurboBird in 2009, and since long time I didn't add any important feature to it. Lately BigChimp has helped this project by making huge internal redesign and adding new features.

Due to my starting of my own software development company I didn't find any time to return to this project, specially that I moved to MySQL instead of FireBird. MySQL has a good solution for master/slave redundancy and has ability to work with huge data.

http://code.sd/products/turbobird/

If anyone want to take the ownership of development of this project it will be more than welcome. It is available in GitHub:
https://github.com/motaz/turbobird

aradeonas:

--- Quote ---I moved to MySQL instead of FireBird. MySQL has a good solution for master/slave redundancy and has ability to work with huge data.
--- End quote ---
Because you have exprence I want to ask why you moved to MySQL? FireBird clame that it can work with huge data and its very ligh.

motaz:
I have a system that contains two databases, MySQL and Firebird. MySQL table reaches about 50 Million record and it works fine, but Firebird becomes very slow and hang the system up when the table reaches hundreds of thousands of records, also I noticed that it consumes more CPU than MySQL.

In one case I found that Firebird did not use a secondary index to speed up the query. In a query that needs to return 20 records it takes about minute to execute because it contains descending order, when I turn it to ascending it takes seconds, I have created descending index, but I get the same delay.

The most important feature is the on-line master/slave redundancy which exist natively in MySQL. We are relying on slave database to generate reports and to make full backup, to keep master database busy with important tasks.

Actually I'm using MariaDB but it is the same like MySQL.
Another factor is that MariaDB/MySQL is used by large web sites such as wikipedia, and Twitter. Customers tend to ask us what database you are using, second question is what language. Third (optional) question is what operating system in the server side.

aradeonas:

--- Quote ---50 Million record
--- End quote ---
Its weird that Firebird have problem with this count of record!

motaz:

--- Quote ---Quote

50 Million record

Its weird that Firebird have problem with this count of record!
--- End quote ---

This for MySQL, with Firebird I haven't reach one million of records yet. After yesterday system stop   because of Firebird, I was thinking to migrate my SMS gateway software from Firebird to MySQL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version