Recent

Author Topic: Problem with Linux memo field  (Read 2665 times)

Robz

Problem with Linux memo field
« on: August 02, 2015, 02:13:48 am »
Hi

I created a dbf file in Windows (W8.1). Used Lazarus to compile the data base program. The field defs are:
       Field Name type  length
1   COMPANY     String   30   N
2   URL     Memo       1      N
3   PW     String   50   N
4   UNAME     String   30   N
5   EMAIL     String   30   N
6   MISC     String   30   N
7   V     String   10   N

Robz

Re: Problem with Linux memo field
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 02:35:44 am »
Sorry, the original post was not finished. I do not know why it "self" posted before complete.
As I was about to add:

The data base works ok in Windows (8.1, 64 bit) but when copied to Linux the memo field is blank. All other fields work ok.
Copied from Windows to Linux (Ubuntu 14.04, 64 bit) three files:
1. the dbf database file
2. the mdx index file
3. the dbt memo file.
All files are fairly small.
Any suggestions?
Thank you
Robert.

kpeters58

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:41:58 pm »

When you apply MD5 (or any other checksum generator) to these files on both platforms, do you get identical results?

I am not sure how much platform dependent code sits in the DBF units, so there may be a bug that only rears its ugly head under Linux....

Finally, the 2 cents you did not ask for:
Using SQLite for single user or something like Firebird, PostgreSQL, MySQL for multi-user will certainly benefit you in the long run, rather than clinging to outdated stuff with many known limitations.
Lazarus 2.0.4/FPC 3.0.4/Win 64

Robz

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:11:05 am »

When you apply MD5 (or any other checksum generator) to these files on both platforms, do you get identical results?
Thank you for your reply.

No; but I will run a check. However, the transfer between Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04 is a "copy and paste" procedure. One would think the databases would be identical.

Finally, the 2 cents you did not ask for:
Using SQLite for single user or something like Firebird, PostgreSQL, MySQL for multi-user will certainly benefit you in the long run, rather than clinging to outdated stuff with many known limitations.

I have always preferred a non-SQL database. SQL runs far too slow. Like any interpretive language, there are tradeoffs between speed and flexibility. If I can still get the speed required, I try again using SQL. The last time I used SQL was in the 80's; it's been a while.
Also, I want the data base self contained. Unlike Borland, there is no need for the BDE (Borland Database Engine).

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:34:04 am »
That code is very, very, very, (INF)  sensitive to codepages. Make sure you have synchronized them.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018