Recent

Author Topic: Delphi haters blog is dead !  (Read 10177 times)

Basile B.

Delphi haters blog is dead !
« on: July 27, 2015, 10:11:31 pm »
Well known for the criticism on EMB commercial strategy and on the Quality of the releases, as well as on their release plans, etc.

DHB is dead

Actually i think that criticism is part of the world. When no more criticism, can your POV be objective anymore ?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:13:11 pm by BBasile »

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Delphi haters blog is dead !
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:12 am »
DHB sometimes sometimes had nice nuggets of info and insights, but mostly it was frustrated ranting.

The only unsatisfying regret that I have is that the anonymity was never lifted, and we got to know where his baseless rants stemmed from.   

I always thought he was a C++ programmer in a company that had both Delphi and C++ programmers or so, with them constantly at turfwars with each other, but also helping out when needed. (hence the familiarity with Delphi) The theory was that some of the arguments of the other (delphi, not his) that held some traction with him were the inspiration for the better posts and insider info,

Or similarly, a C++ programmer that had to work for a considerable time on a Delphi product or so.

He seemed to need the blog to vent daily frustration more than to inform, which is why I think he was confronted with some C++ vs Delphi turfwar on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:24:20 pm by marcov »

dmytron

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 10:12:46 am »

Basile B.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »
His obsesive hate was kind of funny too. But I've learnt a lot about the several companies that ruled the product: the TeamA/teamB thing, the cheap romanian team, the royalities earnt by the 3rd part dev who get their libraries bundled, etc etc.

Personnaly i took my distance with Delphi because it's clearly not anymore a product dedicated to hobbyist and I use to read DHB some times to times, just to tell myself that i was right. Autoconfirmation bias.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:29:52 pm »
Personnaly i took my distance with Delphi because it's clearly not anymore a product dedicated to hobbyist and I use to read DHB some times to times, just to tell myself that i was right.
Delphi was never a product for hobbyist, as well as FPC or Lazarus. These are tools.
And tools are not choosing to be part of someone hobby, rather than hobbyists are selecting their tools.

JD

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:59 pm »
So Delphi eventually outlived Delphi Haters Blog.  :D I loved reading their articles though.
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

taazz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »
Personnaly i took my distance with Delphi because it's clearly not anymore a product dedicated to hobbyist and I use to read DHB some times to times, just to tell myself that i was right.
Delphi was never a product for hobbyist, as well as FPC or Lazarus. These are tools.
And tools are not choosing to be part of someone hobby, rather than hobbyists are selecting their tools.
There is such a thing as a tool that choses to be part of a market. For example Delphi chose to exit the hobbyist market by pricing them self above that market's price range and turbo pascal chose to be part of the hobbyist market by pricing them self inside a teenager's price range. FPC has done its part to be one of the tools in various markets including embedded, hobbyist and desktop now its on the people on those markets to select it as their tool of choice and except from a strong commercial presence I see no other reason not to be selected.

Lazarus on the other hand is a bit to arrogant to be considered as a desktop tool at the moment and outside the desktop market has no presence what so ever.

As for the DHB I never liked the presentation. Couldn't stand it long enough to see what was all about so its existence never registered in my radar you can imagine its demise.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:32:32 pm by taazz »
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

bjadams

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:33:52 am »
Delphi Haters Blog dies before Delphi itself! How Ironic

I think the person behind it all is an ex-employee. He had a lot of insider info, with names, etc

I think he was let go and swore to take down Delphi

Thaddy

• Sensorship about opinions does not belong here.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »
That is not the case.
He or she was worried about Delphi's future.
Object Pascal programmers should get rid of their "component fetish" especially with the non-visuals.

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:54 pm »
Someone needs to start a Lazarus haters blog

Edson

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:30:11 pm »
Someone needs to start a Lazarus haters blog
Yes, it will give us some of publicity.
Lazarus 2.2.6 - FPC 3.2.2 - x86_64-win64 on Windows 10

TinyPortal © 2005-2018