Recent

Author Topic: Alternative approach to Lazarus update  (Read 3486 times)

lagprogramming

Alternative approach to Lazarus update
« on: May 21, 2015, 11:41:37 pm »
   A link to upgrade Lazarus from "vanilla" 1.4.0 to svn 49124.
   http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00716656592793695635

Content of a readme file:

In order to update lazarus you have to follow these steps:
1. Copy/Extract the "lazarusupdate" folder in your home directory, open a fresh instance of Lazarus and bring the messages window to front("View/Messages" menu item).
   Example of home directory for a Linux user is "/home/linuxuser/", for a Windows user is "c:\users\windowsuser\".
   The messages window will show when the processes finish.
2. Import the file "menuentries.xml" at "Tools/Configure External Tools.../More>>/Import..." menu entry.
   The "menuentries.xml" file is found inside the "lazarusupdate" directory. This step will create three menu entries.
3. Click on "Create backup file for Lazarus" menu entry found at the "Tools" menu and wait for the process to finish.
   A ".backup" file will be created inside the "lazarusupdate" directory. The process takes about a minute.
4. To update the source files click on the "Tools/Update Lazarus" menu entry and wait for the process to finish.
   The process should take less than 30 seconds.
5. Rebuild Lazarus by clicking on "Tools/Build Lazarus with profile:..." menu entry.
   A safer approach would be to click on Tools/Configure Build Lazarus.../" menu entry, click "clean all" and then the "Build" button, but even this approach is proven not to be safe enough. Safest is a "make clean all" in a terminal window with Lazarus not running(closed). Don't worry, just rebuild Lazarus one way or another.

To restore the saved instance(at paragraph 3) click on "Tools/Restore Lazarus backup file". and then rebuild Lazarus as presented in paragraph 5.

Warnings!
-It's advisable to create a full copy of your Lazarus directory before proceeding.
-Write permissions to the Lazarus directory are needed.
-In order to decrease the file size, sanity checks may not be included. Make sure that you have Lazarus 1.4.0 installed, "vanilla"(not already modified by third parties).-EDIT: Because this is just a presentation, do not forget that Lazarus depends on the free pascal version being used.
-Do not delete the "lazarusupdate" folder until you've restored the backup file, you never know.

The linux binary is x86_64 and the Windows binary is i386. Upgrading/Downgrading configuration files may be required. This process is done automatically at Lazarus start.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:14:41 pm by lagprogramming »

allanregistos

• In Christ Alone
Re: Alternative approach to Lazarus update
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:41:49 am »
 :(
Error when clicking the menu entry "Create backup file for Lazarus":

Create backup file for Lazarus: executable "" lacks the permission to run, Errors: 1
Panic: internal error: executable "" lacks the permission to run

I have checked the permissions, even trying afterwards with the sudo lazarus-ide results with the same error.
God is my refuge and my strength.

lagprogramming

Re: Alternative approach to Lazarus update
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »
:(
Error when clicking the menu entry "Create backup file for Lazarus":

Create backup file for Lazarus: executable "" lacks the permission to run, Errors: 1
Panic: internal error: executable "" lacks the permission to run

I have checked the permissions, even trying afterwards with the sudo lazarus-ide results with the same error.

The files involved in the original post are outdated. In the meantime lots of things have changed, including the client, the file format and so on. Lazarus also improved in the meantime. I don't think you should use those.
   The client is still under development, but the activity on this subject is suspended because the latest development version of Lazarus won't compile using latest fpc stable version, as far as I know. So, there may be an incompatibility between Lazarus and Fpc versions. I expect this incompatibility to last until the release of next fpc stable version.
   Regarding the error, I can only speculate that the file doesn't have permissions to be executed, permissions that may be changed by:
KDE's Dolphin: Right click on executable file, click "Properties", click "Permissions" tab, click "Advanced Permissions".
Midnight Commander: "File","Chmode"
or by typing in a terminal "chmode +x executable_file" without quotes.

The subject is not abandoned. Some plans regarding the client application:
   - a console client is targeted in order to avoid unnecessary 3rd party requirements.
   - the client application should be able to modify/update/install other applications: like fpc, Lazarus, fpGui, mseIDE...
   - the entire update/install should be done by the client using data stored in files. Nothing specific has to be inserted inside the source code of the client.
   - reduced dependencies on external applications by using multiple alternatives to update/install: for example if the user doesn't have subversion installed then the client downloads and extracts an archive, if the client doesn't have the application to extract the archive then the client downloads the data in an uncompressed format, everything automated by the client.
   - possibility to insert binaries(including applications) within the file. For example having a binary file that contains both an archive and the application used to extract the archive.
   - in order to achieve all these things, the client uses defines and macros all of them modifiable on the fly, internal scripting...
   It's something complex, if you're interested in this alternative to update/install applications, send me a PM instead of using the now obsolete files.
   All the best!

TinyPortal © 2005-2018