Recent

Author Topic: UTF8 & Locale  (Read 13180 times)

DonAlfredo

Re: UTF8 & Locale
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 03:16:03 pm »
fpcup is refusing to work, for sometime now (although it did work for me before)
I am trying to maintain fpcup.
Could you elaborate on the problems you encounter with the new fpcup ?
Thanks !

totya

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
fpcup is refusing to work, for sometime now (although it did work for me before)
Thanks !

Okay, this is not for me, but always in first time (now with rev23), on windows x64

with: fpcup.exe --fpcURL="trunk" --lazURL="trunk" --verbose

I got:

ppc386.exe appcrash
and
fpc.exe appcrash
twice, under lazarus build.

In this rev, lazarus icon doesn't created on desktop (this isn't a big problem).
edit.: I see startlazarus.exe is missing

Default project (after rescan fpc directory and Set utf8 in rlt pressed) compiled and run without any problem.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:50:52 pm by totya »

DonAlfredo

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 06:41:09 pm »
Yep.
I have seen those errors also (sometimes, not always).
And also sometimes miss the shortcut.
And I do not know what happens.

Keep in mind that :
trunk = risky ! (fpc 3.1.1; lazarus 1.5)
default = ok ! (fpc 3.0 fixes; lazarus 1.4)
stable = ok ! (fpc 2.6.4; lazarus 1.4)

fpcup.exe --fpcURL="default" --lazURL="default" will give you a very good system

totya

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:23 pm »
fpcup.exe --fpcURL="default" --lazURL="default" will give you a very good system

Hi!

Thanks for this information!

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,28111.msg175152.html#msg175152
Yes, correct.
It still requires development versions of both FPC and Lazarus, as Taazz and Felipe noted. FPC can be either trunk or the fixes_3_0 branch.

Okay, I need only the fixes_3_0 branch of full UTF-8 support, not the svn... But your all (windows) bat file is "svn".. :) See: https://github.com/LongDirtyAnimAlf/Reiniero-fpcup/tree/master/bin/i386-win32

...and I think the "PAUSE" command is good idea to the end of the (windows) batch file...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:53:07 pm by totya »

DonAlfredo

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2015, 07:00:26 pm »
You are right.
I will change the scripts !

JZS

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 09:59:51 am »
Thanks !

Which new fpcup? I did not know there is a new one.

I have been using the one of Reiniero's.

Anyways the errors I got are:
1. It starts with unable to download the svn.exe through the Temp folder, but that one I overcame easily by downloading manually and putting in the bootstrap folder under svn.

2. One error I got, complaining about ppc386.exe but I did not do anything about and after sometime while I keep trying, it never happened again (probably redownload fixed it). Also one occurrence was about rm.exe but I do not remember what it was about. I deleted everything and started from zero, again.

3. Then it gets interrupted with code 64, every now and then, about no update in fpc source, or decompression error (ra_serf: An error occurred during decompression), but I guess this last one due to my connection, which requires cleanup but it did not continue after cleanup, until yesterday.

This morning, surprisingly it did pass the yesterday's point that I was stuck at, and it's downloading now.
Let's see if it completes.
I use recent stable release

JZS

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 10:18:57 am »
Many thanks DonAlfredo for maintaining fpcup.
I can spare sometime, and will be very glad to contribute to Reinier's project. So please, if I can help with anything, for BigChimp efforts be maintained, just let me know.

I did not try that one, (I do not want to interrupt the running instance, it almost finished, it is compiling Lazarus source now), but if I may suggest things I noticed in the old one, probably some have been implemented already in the new fpcup:
1. Allow downloading the fpc or laz source as zipped files (with browse and locate option) and they get extracted in the fpcup development\fpc & development\lazarus folders as an extra option next to download through svn. In slow connections it makes a difference and saves time.

2. Have the download and all the exe3cution done in a secondary thread, giving the possibility to scroll, (pause, cancel, resume)?, without affecting the GUI.

3. No need to show the Dos window, if the shell is executing, then it is fine, it could be run as hidden.

JZS

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:50 am »
Continue on suggestions...

4. If downloading is interrupted no need to go through the entire compilation process. Just have milestone for progress. for instance if fpc is compiled successfully, and progress advanced no need to go back to it if restarted. Or just download everything first, (i.e process whatever most-prone-to-interruption first), and then compile everything at once.

It just happened to me now, after compiling fpc and lazarus sources, while at downloading "Extras" the download was interrupted with checksum mismatch error at foot"something".png and when restarted it has gone through recompiling everything again.

I apologize if this has already been figured out, I just can't check the new fpcup now, and I am afraid I'll forget what I've just gone through now, if I wait for later.

JZS

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 11:27:00 am »
Hooray, it did work.

But I had to interrupt the fpcup svn download and put the fpc & lazarus sources that I downloaded separately in place where it (fpcup) expected to find them (sources). Otherwise it kept giving decompression error every minute, and I had to cleanup and continue, which is so annoying.

Also for "extras" I had to continue the download with svn client (TortoiseSVN) before I resume fpcup process to avoid interruption and restart compiling before hitting another interruption to repeat and wast time.

Finally I got Laz1.5 and fpc 3.1.1 (compiles and rebuilds).

Now I can say, it's a success.

Thanks DonAlfredo, I will try the new fpcup soon.

Regards,
J

DonAlfredo

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 03:09:35 pm »
Please report back your findings with the new fpcup !

1 previous) svn problem is solved
1) SVN only downloads the changes AFAIR. So little bandwidth after the initial download. But I will look into file download.
2) fpcup itself is command line ... no GUI ! Do you use the graphic shell ?
3) See 2
4) you can limit fpcup by using the --only or --skip commands !

Edit : additional

As an example. After a vanilla (and very clean and limited) install with fpcup, you can do
Code: [Select]
fpcup.exe --only="indy" --verboseto install indy.
Or
fpcup.exe --only="bgrabitmap,bgracontrols" --verboseto get the bgra framework.
Or
fpcup.exe --only="wst" --verboseto get the Web Service Toolkit.

This is valid for all included modules in fpcup.ini !!

JZS

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 10:42:27 am »
Please report back your findings with the new fpcup !

1 previous) svn problem is solved
1) SVN only downloads the changes AFAIR. So little bandwidth after the initial download. But I will look into file download.
2) fpcup itself is command line ... no GUI ! Do you use the graphic shell ?
3) See 2
4) you can limit fpcup by using the --only or --skip commands !

Edit : additional

As an example. After a vanilla (and very clean and limited) install with fpcup, you can do
fpcup.exe --only="indy" --verboseto install indy.
Or
fpcup.exe --only="bgrabitmap,bgracontrols" --verboseto get the bgra framework.
Or
fpcup.exe --only="wst" --verboseto get the Web Service Toolkit.

This is valid for all included modules in fpcup.ini !!

For simplicity, I tend to use fpcupGUI.

Upon compiling fpcup.lpi, and at unit "installerCore" line 984:
                {$IFDEF DARWIN}
                DiffFileSL.TextLineBreakStyle:=tlbsCRLF;
                {$ELSE}
                DiffFileSL.LineBreak:=#13#10;
                {$ENDIF}

I got error at "LineBreak" as no member of "DiffFileSL" and I had to replace the five lines with the following line to be able to compile:
DiffFileSL.TextLineBreakStyle:=tlbsCRLF;

It seems working OK, I started it and watched it downloading the fpcbootstrap, but because of my slow connection I can not keep it running to finish, it will take too long.

I know that might not be a convenient option for others with high speed connection, and there is no any reason for you to follow, but am just saying my opinion here, you can cut the download time, as per my last time experience, way less than quarter the current download time, if it was possible to download zip files.

i.e:
1. fpcbootstrap.zip
2. fpcup.zip
3. lazarus.zip
4. extras.zip

Then run fpcup with the option to look for local files to install, that would be much faster than the overhead of the current downloading rate...

Regards,
J

PS: Am on Win8 32Bit

DonAlfredo

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2015, 12:02:34 pm »
Thanks for reporting ! Changed the line-ending problem.

Again, fpcup is designed to limit bandwidth !!
Binutils and bootstrap are only downloaded once.
Fpc source is only downloaded once. As is Lazarus. As are the extras.
As are all other svn, git and hg sources !!.

So absolutely no gain in using zips for source.

The extras are user dependent. A zip would be huge if all packages are to be included.

JZS

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »
Again, fpcup is designed to limit bandwidth !!
Binutils and bootstrap are only downloaded once.
Fpc source is only downloaded once. As is Lazarus. As are the extras.
As are all other svn, git and hg sources !!.

Sorry DonAlfredo, was not referring to change the mechanism, fpcup design or how the versions and revision control system works. It was all based on my personal experience during specific situation, so I was thinking of one additional option, for some other users who are having my same issue of slow connection, and when there will be no future revision updates.
Kinda of thinking out loud.

So absolutely no gain in using zips for source.
It's just a matter of quick process when utilizing zipped sources and compile them and get the final trunk version ready, instead of waiting for hours to download, and resume when connection gets interrupted, specially when no future updates needed, and on top of them all, sources are already available as zips in acceptable sizes @ ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/

Please forget I suggested that, I was just expressing an idea, could be silly for experienced Lazarus guru with high speed connection  ;)

Regards,

DonAlfredo

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2015, 02:28:34 pm »
Yes ... 100Mb/s ... up/down ...  8-)
But I am willing to look at your situation !

Please tell me exactly.
What do you download.
Because it has sources, binaries, ....

To make it more easy: give me the links to the files you use !

TinyPortal © 2005-2018