Recent

Author Topic: Signal 291 after second run  (Read 9471 times)

hendryk

Signal 291 after second run
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:30:21 pm »
Hallo Forum,

I'm new here, so please be gentle. After several hours of google and the search function of this forum I have still not found an answer.

I'm trying to porgram with free pascal 2.6.4. And I've been irritated by a mysterious error. If I run a program, the first time it goes through the whole program perfect. The second time I press run the IDE shuts down with the Signal 291. Even a simple "Hello World" will result in this error. I've tried this on win 7 Pro 32bit and 64 bit. Can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with here?

kind regards,
Hendryk

Nitorami

Re: Signal 291 after second run
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:36:07 pm »
Not sure but this sounds like an issue I had and which was related to fp.dsk. FPC uses three files to store certain config parameters, fp.ini, fp.cfg and fp.dsk. They are normally in your working folder. Sometimes the IDE messes up the fp.dsk file.

Suggest you delete fp.dsk and try again. Don't worry, fp will create a new version, all you may lose is your windows list and possibly code complete list.

Second, do not start fp via a link from the desktop. Best option is to open a command shell (cmd.exe), go to your work folder and start fp from there.

I have been working with fp 2.6.4 and 3.0.1 on winXP and win 7 Pro for quite a while, and it works nicely and stable. Whenever I get a signal 291 or other strange behaviour, I delete fp.dsk and job done.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:02:42 pm by Nitorami »

hendryk

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:07:55 am »
Hello Nitorami,

thanks for the hint. I've deleted the fp.dsk and started the IDE from the command shell, and for now it works like a charm. I hope it stays this way, but if not, I will let you know. Let's hope you'll never hear of me again (at least in this thread). Thanks again.

regards,
Hendryk

Nitorami

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 01:32:51 pm »
Aditional note: I recommend you make a backup copy of your fp.dsk once you are sure it works. Because, sometimes if you have to delete it, fp will create a new but dysfunct version, which can easily be recognized by its size which is exactly 100 bytes.
I did not find a way out of this situation other than possibly a complete reinstall (which I did not try), so I always store an old fp.dsk version somewhere.

hendryk

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:37:18 am »
Hi Nitorami,

thanks for the hint. But in such cases I always just rename the old file, so that I still have it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018