Recent

Author Topic: Free Pascal IDE and x86_64 platform  (Read 3957 times)

Rick314

Free Pascal IDE and x86_64 platform
« on: March 31, 2015, 07:12:53 am »
I have a 1-file program that compiles and runs fine using "fpc -Px86_64 asmbug" at the Windows 7 Command Prompt.  It includes some 64-bit assembly language.
Code: [Select]
C> fpc -Px86_64  asmbug
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.4 [2014/03/06] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2014 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Win64 for x64
Compiling asmbug.pas
Linking asmbug.exe
184 lines compiled, 0.1 sec , 31472 bytes code, 1924 bytes data
Is there any way to compile and debug this program in "FreePascal IDE for Win32 for i386" Version 1.0.12 that came with Free Pascal Compiler version listed in the compile scenario above?  (I have tried various configuration settings and think the answer is "no".)  Is there another version of the FreePascal IDE that will do what I want, or do I have to use Lazarus?  I am a multi-decade Turbo Pascal user and have been resisting learning Lazarus.

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Free Pascal IDE and x86_64 platform
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:09 am »
came with Free Pascal Compiler version listed in the compile scenario above?  (I have tried various configuration settings and think the answer is "no".)
You're right, the answer is no. The IDE contains a copy of the compiler inside it, or in other words, it uses embedded compiler instead of the command line one. Certainly it doesn't contain more than one architecture compiled in. Somebody has to refactor the IDE to use command line compiler first.
Is there another version of the FreePascal IDE that will do what I want, or do I have to use Lazarus?  I am a multi-decade Turbo Pascal user and have been resisting learning Lazarus.
Since right now Lazarus uses the command line compiler, that's your best bet if you want to use IDE to debug your program from. There are other medium to big IDEs such as mseIDE, but I don't use it so I don't know its debugger support.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
Re: Free Pascal IDE and x86_64 platform
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:10:15 am »
   Is there another version of the FreePascal IDE that will do what I want, or do I have to use Lazarus?  I am a multi-decade Turbo Pascal user and have been resisting learning Lazarus.

Yes and no. You could try a trunk win64 version with GDB over MII, but you would have to build everything yourself, since this is bleeding edge.

Of course you can make lazarus more familiar too by enabling classic key bindings and colors:

TinyPortal © 2005-2018