Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a good multi protocol IM application.  (Read 5912 times)

taazz

Looking for a good multi protocol IM application.
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:20:28 am »
I have tried the following and did not liked them so I'm asking if anyone knows any others

1) jitsi too much java and no portable version
2) pidgin ugly as hell too much gtk but one of the most usable solutions.
3) miranda-ng my choice so far but it got me in trouble with ICQ and many other accounts. I changed so far 4 jabber servers 2 icq accounts & a few others.
4) skype well what can I tell you after microsoft bought it, it start becoming a piece of crap, it has adds, it has no spell check, too much mobile integration, not enough chat.

a number of smaller and not  worth mentioned here that never worked for me.

I'm looking for something native especially not java or .net based, it has to blend in with my windows theme and not be a smart ass and enforce the developers taste of GUI on me. Must support bbcode/html or some sort of rich text and embedding of images video etc and no I do not care about smiles although they are considered pretty basic feature that every IM should have, I really don't care if I see them in text or not.

If it has a portable version it would be a plus but it is not a absolute requirement if everything else are exceptional that is.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
Re: Looking for a good multi protocol IM application.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:32:27 am »
pidgin currently has the most protocols implemented, telepathy and miranda seems to be a little behind. well, I know it's ugly, but if it's protocols that you need, I think it's the best one now.

taazz

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:01 am »
pidgin currently has the most protocols implemented, telepathy and miranda seems to be a little behind. well, I know it's ugly, but if it's protocols that you need, I think it's the best one now.
Actually its stability that I need. I used miranda for the past year and had several problems, for example once every 3 or 4 months my main account would stop logging in and I had to jump through various hoops even deleting and recreating the account information to be able to work with it again,I got flag for improper use on one of my icq accounts which now requires an SMS authorization to unlock (never going to happen my mobile number is not to be abused in this way) and a number of other similar incidents.
I don't really need that many protocols icq, jabber, and the occasional skype. I'm using pidgin for now lets see how that will do for the next year or until I find one that is closer to my taste.

By the way telepathy was added to my "to check" list. thank you.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

hinst

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 12:49:38 pm »
QiP
Too late to escape fate

Xirax

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:00:42 am »
IM+ can be a good choice.

Because here we are developers so I should say these are other options :

- In my opinion Miranda is simplest so you can write an addon for it.
- Writing your own IM on a library like libpurple.

Second one seems hard but because all of applications you mention are old there is a good field for a new one that works as you want.

Dibo

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 01:49:19 pm »
I'm using Kadu on my Kubuntu. It is written in Qt
http://www.kadu.im/w/English:Main_Page

What I see it has 4 protocolos: Facebook, Gadu-Gadu (Polish protocol), Gmail and Jabber. Probably more available via plugins

serbod

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 03:34:15 pm »
If you need sources - https://github.com/serbod/real-chat
It multi-protocol IM which support IRC and iChat protocols, and was abandoned. But there is bbcode/html, richtext, images and avatars.

JD

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:57 pm »
Try Digsby http://www.digsby.com/?utm_campaign=vid&utm_source=vid&utm_medium=vid&utm_content=vid. It works on Mac, Windows & Linux & supports the major protocols. I've used it in the past (no more IM for me) & it is very good.

JD
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:55:03 pm by JD »
Windows - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe),
Linux Mint - Lazarus 2.1/FPC 3.2 (built using fpcupdeluxe)

mORMot; Zeos 8; SQLite, PostgreSQL & MariaDB; VirtualTreeView

taazz

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
a small update on the subject.
1) pidgin trussed a friends ICQ account the same way miranda NG did.
2) QIP, Digsby require to login to their server before even allowing me to set any accounts which I believe is an indication that they use their server as a proxy instead of the client talking directly to any other server this is a big security issue.
3) IM+ has only clients for mobile devices.
4)I did not find any Telepathy IM client only a framework for IM applications.
From the current list the only one that I haven't checked yet is kadu but taking in to account the current trend (digsby, QIP) I do expect the same, so I'll probably skip it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018