Recent

Author Topic: FreeSparta is OpenSource  (Read 78381 times)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: FreeSparta is OpenSource
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2015, 04:17:41 pm »
For instance there is a new Free Pascal debugger being developed, separate from GDB which will be superior to GDB when it is completed. I only got to know about because someone had a problem and one of the core Lazarus developers told him about it.And the person who asked about it is actually an experienced Lazarus user.

The purpose of blogging is to introduce such features to existing prospective and existing users alike. I come to the forum because I have specific issues in mind. There are times when I browse at leisure, covering developer blogs etc, but there is nothing for one of my preferred coding tool Lazarus.

But there is a blog article about the Pascal debugger!
  http://lazarus-dev.blogspot.fi/2014/05/de-bug-wars-new-hope.html
You don't bother to read even the few blogs that are out there, you just want to find some excuse to complain.
I don't quite understand you. This would be ok from a newbie but you have been around for years and the same thing goes on. I don't remember any contribution from you (I mean none, zero) but I remember lots of similar complaints during the years.

I am not really a developer, I am one-who-does-something substantial for the project. People started to call me a developer for that reason.
Why do you want to blame those-who-do-something instead of blaming those-who-do-nothing, like yourself?
I am trying to make you understand that you have a fundamental flaw in your thinking.
When shall we see your first contribution?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 04:30:02 pm »
If you think something needs to be done, just do it instead of writing endless emails about it.
Isn't that what hnb did?

This comment was for vfclists.
hnb has done a lot and apparently is willing to do more.

His problem seems to be that after doing what needed to be done he can't get his work accepted and included in Lazarus.
But seeing this discussion develop I see that at least there is some progress and communication now which is great.

Uhhh...
What did you mean by : "after doing what needed to be done"?
What about you? Did you split the patches like I asked? Did you offer your help for hnb to do it? If not, why?
You also seem to be worried about how much work OTHER people do.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »
Juha, I'm open to other suggestions. Do you have any progress with merging changes? I don't want double the work. I will send separated patches and some messages to the mailing list, probably in next week. I need to find more free time :).

...as I understand, more about new branch we will discuss on the mailing list soon.

Sent PMs.

lagprogramming

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
What the f*** is happening in the Lazarus community?
I see good ideas coming and going and all that happens is that Lazarus remains the same and all kind of new Lazarus spin offs like CodeTyphon and FreeSparta come along.
add to that GetLazarus by sysrpl. That's not a spin-off of lazarus but a special build of Lazarus, with some ready to go components in place :)

Many Lazarus forks and flavours were/are being developed. Many people don't talk on this forum because they know not much good will come up, this forum thread is a proof of that.
   Here is one that you've probably missed:
http://research.jazenga.com/

Mike.Cornflake

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2015, 07:59:51 pm »
A more constructive approach would be to take some responsibility yourself. Use the bug-tracker. Offer patches. Where you find wiki entries poor or plain wrong, change them. Don't just make generalised complaints about them. You are the one who has identified the shortcoming. The wiki is public access. Spend the time you give to complaining rewriting the bad entries. That will both clarify your own understanding and help future readers, who will now have a correct wiki, even if they lack a core developer blog article (which may one day appear, but probably not as a consequence of complaining).

+1   Well said.
Lazarus Trunk/FPC Trunk on Windows [7, 10]
  Have you tried searching this forum or the wiki?:   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Alternative_Main_Page
  BOOKS! (Free and otherwise): http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:54 pm »
What about you? Did you split the patches like I asked? Did you offer your help for hnb to do it? If not, why?
You also seem to be worried about how much work OTHER people do.

Juha, I indeed did not offer hnb my help to make patches.
That's because I know my limits and what he did is not my specialty.
I do try to support the Lazarus community, mostly by replying to messages in this forum or writing articles about Lazarus in computer magazines and at this time I'm diving into Abbrevia to get it working in Lazarus the way it works in Delphi.
This already is more technically than I can chew but I'll keep trying and will ask how to submit it to the community if and when I reach the finish.
Like I said I know my limits and that also limits the work I can do for Lazarus.
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2015, 02:24:44 pm »
For instance there is a new Free Pascal debugger being developed, separate from GDB which will be superior to GDB when it is completed. I only got to know about because someone had a problem and one of the core Lazarus developers told him about it.And the person who asked about it is actually an experienced Lazarus user.

The purpose of blogging is to introduce such features to existing prospective and existing users alike. I come to the forum because I have specific issues in mind. There are times when I browse at leisure, covering developer blogs etc, but there is nothing for one of my preferred coding tool Lazarus.

But there is a blog article about the Pascal debugger!
  http://lazarus-dev.blogspot.fi/2014/05/de-bug-wars-new-hope.html
You don't bother to read even the few blogs that are out there, you just want to find some excuse to complain.
I don't quite understand you. This would be ok from a newbie but you have been around for years and the same thing goes on. I don't remember any contribution from you (I mean none, zero) but I remember lots of similar complaints during the years.

After seeing that article I remember having read it in the past, but then again it only drives home the point  I am trying to make. It is the only blog entry for the whole of 2014. I am sure that there must be at least 4 major initiatives in addition to debugger which were started in 2014, but who knows about them? And you know what, users cannot help with testing, bug finding and feedback in this initiative, let alone the others which are in the pipeline. And why is that, because they don't know about them in the first place.

This is particularly poignant because it was Graeme who asked about it. Graeme has been and still is major controbutor to  Lazarus and if he doesn't know about something as major as a new debugger, you know there is a problem. Just like me he probably learned about it earlier and forgot it about or didn't know how much progress had been made.

Speaking of Graeme I am sure you Juha will remember that recently Graeme inquired about the state of UTF development on the mailing list, and you pointed out to him that he himself had created or edited a page in the Wiki about UTF, and had probably forgotten about it.

What I am saying is that the issues Lazarus faces are not technical or even one of commitment, but are actually cultural, and the cultural issues are set by the gatekeepers if you prefer that term, or the managers and moderators of the central Lazarus infrastructure.

Now getting back to the wiki. One of the major issues newcomers face is getting Lazarus working or a recent build from trunk working. The last few days I have started working on get Lazarus to compile, and one of the pages mentioned installing that I had to install the fpc package to compile Lazarus. The version of fpc in the packages is 2.4.4, which is about 3 years old whilst a current compile  requires 2.6.4. You could argue that the wiki page is out of date. I wouldn't call it out of date, I say it is plain wrong and outright misleading, because someone would try it and fail and try again believing they have done something wrong when in fact is is the page that is wrong. But if the wiki entry was dated then it could be described as out of date, rather than plain wrong and misleading. There are pages as well which say if you want to compile Lazarus,
get the source from svn or sourceforge then type make
. There is nothing about requirements such as development libraries, utilities and whatnots, and I'm looking at and asking myself "what on earth is this is. this is plain wrong".

The problem is that wiki pages are made of multiple contributions and you can't go around deleting stuff willynilly because a lot of people are going be annoyed although they deserve an upbraiding worthy of Linus. Wiki pages also state they date they were last edited, but some of the sections go back years. So if the moderators were to lay down some rules such as "Dude, before you put anything in some section or edit it, make sure you test it and it works, ie start of with a clean machine or at least a new configuration, follow the instructions that you laid down, and make sure they work, before putting it up. Date it and state the pre requirements, and if it will disrupt or make the wiki page confusing, create a separate on the wiki or elsewhere perhaps Github and link to it. Otherwise if it winds up wasting time for very obvious shortcoming (to a more experienced person) we are going to point the finger at you and say "you done it".

This is not a matter of commitment and contributing, because people are committed and contributing, but is how they are guided and channelled into doing it right that matters. It is more a matter of people with the right depth of technical knowledge and experience and standing within Lazarus setting out the cultural style, simply saying that "round hereabouts This Is How We Do It" :). But Lazarus is a highly technical environment, so even if someone is a good evangelist, how do they go about establishing the culture surrounding Lazarus without the necessary technical nous to be effective in that role? Lazarus is not like Drupal where Webchick could enter into that role. You are working at the lowest level of the operating system with a wide range of equally complicated APIs. That takes time and long experience, and only core Lazarus developers can do that. All it takes is one or more of the core developers to devote a few months to setting the culture and the approach, for  the rest of the masses can carry on from there.then they can go back to doing what they do best., ie hard core development. It doesn't have to be forever.

Now Lazarus is not like Drupal where people can devote a lot of time to volunteering where they know that they will be making profitable contacts and developing skills that would lead them into 60k to 120K jobs. There doesn't seem to be that much in Delphi, let alone Lazarus. It mostly small developers and hobbyists so clearly you are not going get that kind of commitment and that is why stuff must be made really easy. Drupal is a huge thing, but no where Lazarus in complexity, but between, drupal.org, groups.drupal.org and drupal.stackexchange.com you will find everything you need to solve a Drupal issue, not to mention the hundreds of blogs offering advice and tips. but you can hardly say thte same thing for FPC and Lazarus.

There is a lot of wonderful stuff going on in Lazarus, but most of it can't be seen or heard of in the official forums or mailing lists, because the developers don't find the culture here welcoming or the facilities easy to integrate with it. Perhaps the site and the forums should be broken down into a separate strictly controlled and moderated core, and a freer looser environment which enables outsiders to contribute their stuff. For instance fpgui seems to be getting more popular, but because discussion of fpgui is not allowed here, fpgui users have to go to a separate newsgroup for help. But this means that users of fpgui have to keep switching between the forum and fpgui newsgroup which is painful and disruptive of workflow. It also means people who don't use fpgui don't get to see all the things in fpgui which could probably help their own work, and wind up with a rather narrow view of all the facilities available to Lazarus and FreePascal users. And this can be extrapolated to all other wonderful Lazarus stuff out there.

Of course I don't know how much activity the forum's hardware infrastructure can accommodate, but if it can handle a few extra forums then why not. If people are creating Lazarus forums and help websites away from here with the end result of scattering the information, then it isn't really helpful.

Don't think I am not creating stuff to contribute, but I don't want to inflict half-finished stuff on an innocent, unsuspecting Lazarus users.

I could add more stuff it is already TLDR, but to sum it up they problem is not one of contribution or commitment, but ease of contributions and their inclusion, coupled with a scattering and disconnection of resources and technical info and some guidelines and standards.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:39:17 pm by vfclists »
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:54 pm »
I think that summons it up nicely. We indeed don't have the luxury of full paid developers doing hand holding. We also have no community people that do nothing but hand holding.

That might make us seem cold, but it is just a matter of priorities. All developers try for a while, (e.g. Reinier did a lot of that in recent years), usually in a period they have a lot of time , but it is really hard to sustain that indefinitely since real life has a way of interfering with priorities.

So contributing might require a bit of work, persistence and motivation. Some people adjust and become contributors or even responsibility bearing developers. Some just get the things they need to be done done, and then move on.

That's simply the way of things. But whatever your inclination is, whining about it doesn't solve anything. if you find any fault with the project start working on it in a constructive matter (and yes, that might require some compromise), but it is the only way to get something done.

P.s. to my best knowledge, Graeme is neither a developer for FPC or Lazarus. He is just a long term user with his own open source projects (fpgui etc) outside of the FPC/Lazarus projects.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 03:07:29 pm by marcov »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2015, 05:02:13 pm »
After seeing that article I remember having read it in the past, but then again it only drives home the point  I am trying to make. It is the only blog entry for the whole of 2014. I am sure that there must be at least 4 major initiatives in addition to debugger which were started in 2014, but who knows about them? And you know what, users cannot help with testing, bug finding and feedback in this initiative, let alone the others which are in the pipeline. And why is that, because they don't know about them in the first place.

How is it a fault of Lazarus developers if you forget things?
If you cannot remember the only blog during a whole year, how would more blogs improve the situation?
This one and only blog was about the Pascal debugger, but still you complain that nobody told you about the Pascal debugger. Quite amazing!

The problem is that wiki pages are made of multiple contributions and you can't go around deleting stuff willynilly because a lot of people are going be annoyed although they deserve an upbraiding worthy of Linus. ...

I don't know how much Linus administers the Wiki of his project, but you can be the Linus of our Wiki. In fact we had an open position for this job and now you got it. Gongratulations!
You can keep the Wiki in order. Guide people how they should write. Remove outdated info and make the pages up-to-date.
If you need adminstrative help, just ask from Lazarus mailing list, although you should already have all the access rights you need for the Wiki.
Remember to fix the installation instructions as your first task.

For instance fpgui seems to be getting more popular, but because discussion of fpgui is not allowed here, fpgui users have to go to a separate newsgroup for help. But this means that users of fpgui have to keep switching between the forum and fpgui newsgroup which is painful and disruptive of workflow.

Every substantial project has its own forum / newsgroup / mailing list. Drupal has, Linux kernel has, FpGui has, Lazarus has.
Didn't you know it?

Don't think I am not creating stuff to contribute, but I don't want to inflict half-finished stuff on an innocent, unsuspecting Lazarus users.

Yeah, we must wait for the finished stuff then ...

BTW, you registed to this forum at 2009-03-27. It means you had a 6 year anniversary just yesterday. Gongratulations again!
Funny, it was the same year I joined the project. First learning code, then providing patches, a big patch for Configure Build Lazarus window, and then got write access to the converter directory.
How did you spend your 6 years?

Fred vS

• StrumPract is the musicians best friend
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2015, 09:07:30 pm »
Posted by: marcov
P.s. to my best knowledge, Graeme is neither a developer for FPC or Lazarus. He is just a long term user with his own open source projects (fpgui etc) outside of the FPC/Lazarus projects.

? => https://github.com/graemeg/lazarus

Posted by: JuhaManninen
For instance fpgui seems to be getting more popular, but because discussion of fpgui is not allowed here, fpgui users have to go to a separate newsgroup for help. But this means that users of fpgui have to keep switching between the forum and fpgui newsgroup which is painful and disruptive of workflow.

Every substantial project has its own forum / newsgroup / mailing list. Drupal has, Linux kernel has, FpGui has, Lazarus has.
Didn't you know it?

Hum,... in httq://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/

=> Programming

Operating Systems
        Child Boards: Linux, Linux PDAs, Android, Android-JVM, Mac OS X, iPhone/iPad, Windows, Windows CE, Other

Graphics and Multimedia
       Child Boards: Audio and Video, Graphics, OpenGL, TAChart

Packages and Libraries
      Child Boards: Ported from Delphi/Kylix , Lazarus Extra Components , KOL , FPSpreadsheet , LazReport , LazUtils , FPvectorial , SynEdit , RichMemo

Widgetset
       Child Boards: Carbon, Cocoa, GTK, QT, Win32/64, WinCE, CustomDrawn, Other

Not very gentleman...  :-X

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:13:59 am by Fred vS »
I use Lazarus 2.2.0 32/64 and FPC 3.2.2 32/64 on Debian 11 64 bit, Windows 10, Windows 7 32/64, Windows XP 32,  FreeBSD 64.
Widgetset: fpGUI, MSEgui, Win32, GTK2, Qt.

https://github.com/fredvs
https://gitlab.com/fredvs
https://codeberg.org/fredvs

Fred vS

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2015, 09:19:57 pm »
(e.g. Reinier did a lot of that in recent years)

Reinier was the heart of Lazarus forum.
I am nor sure he is replaceable.

We think to you Reinier. We miss you, deeply.

Fre;D
I use Lazarus 2.2.0 32/64 and FPC 3.2.2 32/64 on Debian 11 64 bit, Windows 10, Windows 7 32/64, Windows XP 32,  FreeBSD 64.

lagprogramming

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2015, 03:59:38 am »
   "How did you spend your 6 years?"
   He spent those years debating some of your(quote yourself) "lots of talk but little substance behind" posts on the forum, like most of the brave developers did. Don't worry almost all pascal core developers are the same.

"BTW, you registed to this forum at 2009-03-27. It means you had a 6 year anniversary just yesterday. Gongratulations again!
Funny, it was the same year I joined the project. First learning code, then providing patches, a big patch for Configure Build Lazarus window, and then got write access to the converter directory."
   Congratulations! By far you are the most toxic core developer within FPC/Lazarus community. To be more precise: you are one of the members of this community that dragged us down a lot. You quantify how much value you added, totally ignoring how much the community had to waste. Your contribution is nothing compared to what the community lost. Now we have lots of forks and flavours. If there is a crack between Delphi core developers and users, then between FPC/Lazarus core developers and their users is an abyss that no common developer expects to be crossed using an ordinary approach. This is one of the main reasons why "vanilla" code won't receive much constructive feedback from forked/flavoured ones.

Hnb(Maciej Izak) is a surprise to any "vanilla" derived developer. He has the developers community experience and he still did a major mistake messing with "vanilla". Unfortunately for him, his education knocked core developers one: a couple of core developers talk nonsense, rest of them shut up. There are some facts that hnb didn't wanted to believe(consider). For example, "vanilla" or not, most pascal core developers are hostile to any flavour/fork root. This means that the slightest potential of a fork will be treated as a threat by many of them. For hnb this means not only Lazarus but also CodeTyphoon, as he is one of the foolish ones that unnecessarily took the full burn :). He's been carbonized in other communities. I appreciate that after all of these, he still has hope, reason why I've offered him support, like I've offered to sysrpl(Anthony Walted).

Sternas doesn't look like a guy with highly developed sense of humor, but your proposal using svn branches is a great trojan horse joke. According to your proposal, hnb needs two simultaneous branches(one for FPC and one for Lazaus). Who would use those!? He doesn't need them, he can develop without svn/git because he's the only FreeSparta developer. It's the most secure&diplomatic way to manipulate him. Let's face it: MOST OF THAT CODE WILL NEVE GET INTO SVN TRUNK! If you would have had the value of a drahma, and Sternas wouldn't appreciate yes-men, for sure he would have replied to this forum topic long time ago, expressing his point of view regarding some of the vocal Lazarus core developers.

"Every substantial project has its own forum / newsgroup / mailing list. Drupal has, Linux kernel has, FpGui has, Lazarus has.
Didn't you know it?"
   Maybe you should discuss that with Administrator/Hero_member/Martin_fr(getlazarus related paragraph follows):
   "Your site is not splitting the community. Even a 2nd wiki is ok. But forums (and mailnglist) are different. If there are many, then those seeking help must post on all of them for the best chance of reply.
   I have seen this already between just forum and mailnglist.There are people who only read one. And sometimes a question best answered by such a person, is asked on the other medium. Never seen by the person who might have known.
   So adding another forum is something I am not sure it will add benefit. ..."
   This is another one of your "superior" attitude directives. You're asking/promoting even personal blogs knowing that the community won't pay much attention to those, the same way the community will ignore hnb's branches.
   I think you should consider following your own recommendation: "Please use a personal blog somewhere else instead of polluting the Lazarus forum.".

"No, his problems was that the community in general was hostile to his efforts, I haven't seen a single person from the FPC or lazarus team posting negative comments in here."
   The only written texts against hnb were written by a couple of core developers. The community is much more than that, I didn't do what you did, neither Takeda, avra, JanRosa and many readers that don't have what it takes to stand-up for their beliefs.

P.S. I know this post takes more than 20 seconds to be read. I would have quoted that too but unfortunately a core developer might have an unpleasant attitude consisting in deleting/modifying his posts, in order to have a keep a fine presentation. Who would he be...hmmm!? Don't worry, the forum had worse:
http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=22565.0  For those that don't know the context: sam707 is BertVerhees.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2015, 05:13:28 am »
is everyone ok, if we split the thread into "FreeSparta is opensource" (for technical discussion) and "This is FreeSpartaaaa!" for the drama?

I'm sure everyone is full of mutual claims and want to speak out. The forum (not the mailing list) is the best place for such activity, but not this particular thread. Who and what should do is really off-topic here.

Fred vS

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2015, 06:42:38 am »
@JuhaManninen, @Marcov,  @skalogryz.

The way you treat people who have contributed to fpc and does not exclusively belong to your "core" is a shame.

Fred.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:45:42 am by Fred vS »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2015, 09:03:34 am »
   Hnb(Maciej Izak) is a surprise to any "vanilla" derived developer. He has the developers community experience and he still did a major mistake messing with "vanilla". Unfortunately for him, his education knocked core developers one: a couple of core developers talk nonsense, rest of them shut up. There are some facts that hnb didn't wanted to believe(consider). For example, "vanilla" or not, most pascal core developers are hostile to any flavour/fork root. This means that the slightest potential of a fork will be treated as a threat by many of them. For hnb this means not only Lazarus but also CodeTyphoon, as he is one of the foolish ones that unnecessarily took the full burn :). He's been carbonized in other communities. I appreciate that after all of these, he still has hope, reason why I've offered him support, like I've offered to sysrpl(Anthony Walted).

I have already worked with hnb and committed some of his code, and I plan to work more. I don't remember hostile comments from myself or from other developers against him.
Opinion is one thing but you are spreading pure lies. I will moderate this thread from now on, removing posts that are not related to FreeSparta.

This thread was quite useful and technical until vfclists used it for for his same-old whining. I strongly felt it was unjustified from a person who has not done a single contribution himself.
Then it lead to an avalance effect turning this good thread into bad.
Now, everybody who wants to give negative comments about Lazarus developers, please do so but not in this thread! Open a new thread for it.
Even the negative comments must be backed by some facts. Spreading lies only to attack developers is a no-go. I think this forum should be moderated more.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018