Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.4 Release  (Read 69317 times)

Basile B.

Re: Lazarus 1.4 Release
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 06:40:25 am »
Is there a 1.4.1 on the way, before end of Jully ?
(Q is: is it worth waiting instead of using now a messy setup with the fixes copied from 1.4 fix branch ?).

Basile B.

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 10:04:48 am »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2015, 10:15:41 am »
Is it reliable http://bugs.freepascal.org/roadmap_page.php?version_id=363 ?

Doesn't look very reliable, 2015-06-20 went already.
On the other hand building Lazarus directly from SVN is easy. What makes you think it is a "messy setup"?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Basile B.

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2015, 10:50:39 am »
messy is a qualifier for the way i'll manually update if the official release date doesn't match my release plans. It wasn't a critic at all. The problem is that i'm more on git that on SVN...and there is no reliable git mirror...but that a personal concern.

I just want to know if there is something planed in the 3 next weeks.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2015, 01:26:16 pm »
messy is a qualifier for the way i'll manually update if the official release date doesn't match my release plans. It wasn't a critic at all. The problem is that i'm more on git that on SVN...and there is no reliable git mirror...but that a personal concern.

I think the Graeme's mirror is quite  reliable. (?)
You can also use Git directly with SVN repo:
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_git-svn
Works well, I use it for my Lazarus development.

I have no idea. I am not building the releases myself.

Basile B.

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2015, 10:26:12 pm »

I think the Graeme's mirror is quite  reliable. (?)
You can also use Git directly with SVN repo:
  http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_git-svn
Works well, I use it for my Lazarus development.

I have no idea. I am not building the releases myself.

Gramae mirror has only the upstream branch. Currently the branch i'm interested by is 1.4_fixes. Using git svn is a mess with the branches, and it's so damn slow. IIUW, each SVN revision has actually a copy of all the code, so it takes ages to clone...i've tried two weeks ago and since i'd have to do the same on 3 setup (win64, linux32, linux64), i've rather choosen to copy the files which contain the fixes and overwrite them on the current 1.4 setup...

You guys should seriously think to use GitHub or a similar git service (you can even run your own...) you probably loose a lot of possible contributions, it's so easy with GH PR system !

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2015, 11:20:27 pm »
You guys should seriously think to use GitHub or a similar git service (you can even run your own...) you probably loose a lot of possible contributions, it's so easy with GH PR system !

And all devels who are acustomed to svn need to leanr git (which I can't get to work on win9x, from which I do testing and commits for the still supported win9x platform.  >:D

Bart

taazz

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2015, 12:36:08 am »

And all devels who are acustomed to svn need to leanr git (which I can't get to work on win9x, from which I do testing and commits for the still supported win9x platform.  >:D

Bart
https://help.github.com/articles/support-for-subversion-clients/ if there is a will there is a way.let me add at this point that between the two github and sourceforge I prefer the sourceforge interface although a bit more involved gives more to the end user.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 12:38:14 am by taazz »
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2015, 01:05:41 am »
Gramae mirror has only the upstream branch. Currently the branch i'm interested by is 1.4_fixes. Using git svn is a mess with the branches, and it's so damn slow.

Use the wiki instructions but replace trunk with the fixes branch. Should work and it is not too slow. You don't need the whole history, use param " --revision 45000:HEAD" or something.
I do "git svn rebase" often and the recent changes come very quickly. Same with commits by "git svn dcommit".

"loose a lot of possible contributions" ... right. Please let's not go into this nonsense again. The Git <-> SVN arguments lasted literally years in this forum and the same FUD was repeated.
It turned out that Git was usable all the time, either with Graeme's mirror or with git-svn link. Now it is documented and Git formatted patches accepted but there was no rush of contributors using Git.
Now we are lucky to have some new contributors but they all seem to use SVN. Typically if somebody truly wants to contribute, he will use the tools available. After all most of the complexity comes from actually modifying the code, revision control tool is a minor challenge compared to that.

Basile B.

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2015, 02:42:32 am »
Whatever...I just want to know if there is something planed in the 3 next weeks.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018