Recent

Author Topic: How to Completely remove LAZARUS Windows?  (Read 13658 times)

Josh

How to Completely remove LAZARUS Windows?
« on: February 21, 2015, 12:05:57 pm »
Hi
I have been using lazarus for a few years and have upgraded by using FPCUP (problematic at times), and had I think 1.3 with the latest 2.7.1 installed and running my application fine.
When I ran it a few weeks back it installed Lazarus 1.5 and FPC 3.1.1 and since then my application have been crashing with sigsegv errors and others ( No change to applications).
Question How can I go back to the latest 1.3 and the Latest 2.71?
I have tried 1.4RC1 and this also is giving me sigsegv errors, my applications will not even get to show the main form.

It is possible that remnants of previous lazarus's in c:\lazarus and c:\development are now causing a problem, as if i try to install an old 1.1 with 2.7.1 it auto tries to install my additional components (UN-successfully).

1)How can I completely remove all of lazarus's from my system, including any configuration and registry settings ( AKA as though it was never on there)?
2)How can I get the latest Lazarus 1.3 and FPC 2.7.1

Hope the above make sense, it did when I was typing it, but that does not mean it does when read.

Thanks in advance

If this is in the wrong section, please move to relevant area,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 12:12:34 pm by josh »
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: How to Completely remove LAZARUS Windows?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:44:02 pm »
View -> IDE internals -> About IDE
says :
  Primary config directory=C:\Users\MyUserName\AppData\Local\lazarus
where "MyUserName" is your user name in your system.
Remove it and the directory with Lazarus binaries and sources completely. Lazarus does not store anything in Windows Registry. Everything is in the file system.

There is no FPC 2.7 or Lazarus 1.3 any more. The trunks are now FPC 3.1.1 and Lazarus 1.5.
A good strategy would be to install FPC separately and then use SVN (or Git) client for Lazarus trunk. Lazarus is extremely easy to build once you have FPC installed. If you only want to see latest development in Lazarus, you don't need FPC trunk.

Now I personally must test different versions of FPC. I must learn to use FPCUP for that. How to install only FPC but not Lazarus with it?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Josh

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:23:21 pm »
Hi JuhaManninen

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have removed that folder by deleting %localappdata%\Lazarus and deleted the development folder.
But when I start a fresh install of lazarus it attempts to install components that my project needs to run, but un successfully as some appear in component palette with wrong icons etc.

I am attempting  an install via fpcup on an old laptop with win 7 64, to get the 'base' of development so i can transfer over. However at the moment this is failing with unable to load/compile  laz_fpspreadsheet. So not sure if problem with SVN.

Reading your reply I assume that I cannot now get LAZ1.3 and FPC2.7.1. Is there any in depth info on teh differences so I can attempt to locate where all my application are crashing. They all use BGABITMAP and BGRACNTRLS so whether I need to wait for an update to those? 7.9.3 and 3.4 . My apps use CallBack routines to get info from mmsystem wonder if these have changed.

If anyone has access to Laz 1.3 and FPC2.7.1 they are willing to share would be much appreciated.

Looking like that I may have to wait for things to stabilize a bit, I think a good feature to add to FPCUP would be a dialog when the point version number changes so user can decide whether they need to investigate for issues prior to applying the change. ie when from 1.3 to 1.5 and 2.7.1 to 3.1.1. This may not be so easy as the Developer of FPCUP reiniero left this mortal world in December.
The best way to get accurate information on the forum is to post something wrong and wait for corrections.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:14:26 pm »
Reading your reply I assume that I cannot now get LAZ1.3 and FPC2.7.1. Is there any in depth info on teh differences so I can attempt to locate where all my application are crashing. They all use BGABITMAP and BGRACNTRLS so whether I need to wait for an update to those? 7.9.3 and 3.4 . My apps use CallBack routines to get info from mmsystem wonder if these have changed.

I don't see any relation between BGABITMAP or BGRACNTRLS and trunk versions of FPC / Lazarus.
AFAIK they are a separate package. Why do you need trunk versions?

If anyone has access to Laz 1.3 and FPC2.7.1 they are willing to share would be much appreciated.

They don't exist any more. Period. Nobody has access to them.
To be precise they do exist in SVN history but why would you want to jump there?

Looking like that I may have to wait for things to stabilize a bit, I think a good feature to add to FPCUP would be a dialog when the point version number changes so user can decide whether they need to investigate for issues prior to applying the change. ie when from 1.3 to 1.5 and 2.7.1 to 3.1.1. This may not be so easy as the Developer of FPCUP reiniero left this mortal world in December.

Yes, FPCUP needs a maintainer. However you have misunderstood the purpose of that tool.
It is a wrapper for SVN tools and build process for people who want to follow and test different development versions.
It can be considered an "advanced" tool. It is not meant for people who work on their own applications using FPC / Lazarus.
For that you can use the release versions, or now the Lazarus 1.4 RC1.

If you really need to test your app with FPC trunk then you can use FPCUP, but you must know what you are doing. Again, it is an "advanced" tool.
It seems you started to use FPCUP before you even knew how to install an official release version.

Somebody may consider me an "advanced" FPC user because I am involved in Lazarus development, yet I mostly use the latest release version of FPC. Now I am learning to use FPCUP for various reasons.

On the other hand I can recommend Lazarus trunk for anybody because it is so easy to build with existing FPC, and because it is getting mature and is stable most of the time. Thus anybody who is able to run "svn checkout" and "svn update" can use Lazarus trunk. FPC trunk is much harder even without any cross-compilation issues.

Summa summarum: Install Lazarus 1.4 RC1 so that it works. Forget FPCUP for a while.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:17:32 pm by JuhaManninen »

Josh

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 02:31:57 pm »
Hi

It would be good just to get my applications to run, as they crash with 1.4RC1 and 1.5 via FPCUP.

So I was after a way to get back to where I was before .. It is possible that it may be down to one of the components so I will keep scanning for any updates.

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 02:39:33 pm »

They don't exist any more. Period. Nobody has access to them.
To be precise they do exist in SVN history but why would you want to jump there?

I, for one, still use Lazarus 1.1, r40899

I used to follow the trunk, but  updating always introduced new bugs and broke something, so I stopped doing that.

1)How can I completely remove all of lazarus's from my system, including any configuration and registry settings ( AKA as though it was never on there)?

You cannot.

It is Lazarus. It always comes back from the dead  :D

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:26 pm »
So I was after a way to get back to where I was before .. It is possible that it may be down to one of the components so I will keep scanning for any updates.

Sounds desperate!
Man, at least figure out what the problem is before "scanning for updates".
You have created quite a mess it seems!

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 02:55:55 pm »
I, for one, still use Lazarus 1.1, r40899
I used to follow the trunk, but  updating always introduced new bugs and broke something, so I stopped doing that.

Ok true, Lazarus trunk is not recommended for normal application development (although I do also that).
Still, why do you use an old trunk version instead of a release version? Lazarus has certainly improved since r40899 (April 2013, almost 2 years ago).
You missed the whole Lazarus 1.2.x series. Why? At least you must switch to the coming 1.4 release.

You cannot.
It is Lazarus. It always comes back from the dead  :D

Heh :)

BeniBela

• homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »
Still, why do you use an old trunk version instead of a release version? Lazarus has certainly improved since r40899 (April 2013, almost 2 years ago).
You missed the whole Lazarus 1.2.x series. Why? At least you must switch to the coming 1.4 release.

It is just the version I had, when I stopped updating

Josh

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 03:14:50 pm »
Hi
I was using Trunk from version 1.1 as the release at the time had issues that the trunk resolved and I have used the trunk since from 1.1,1.2 and 1.3 without any major issue, just a few control params changes needed, but as I create the controls for the panels and forms in code these were easy.

To go to 1.4RC1 I will have to find out what is causing the errors, more with 1.4 RC1 than with Trunc 1.5. The errors appear to be from external libraries, as with various debuggers GDB (tried the alternative version as well),FPDebugger and DebuggerDBMI they report different locations, but all are close to where data is coming in from external library.

I will be creating some test apps to find exactly where,when and what is causing the errors to appear.

laptop has just finished fpcup ( 4th try) , so I should have a clean trunk version to apply to desktop and hopefully start to go forward a bit from there.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 03:39:14 pm »
laptop has just finished fpcup ( 4th try) , so I should have a clean trunk version to apply to desktop and hopefully start to go forward a bit from there.

No, you don't have A trunk version but you have 2 trunk versions, one for FPC and one for Lazarus. You have too many variables in your tool chain. The mess will go on ...
Please read what I wrote earlier. I will not repeat it here.

Josh

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 04:00:51 pm »
Laptop has never had lazarus on it at all. Is not the development folder a clean non messy lazarus with fpc
The desktop has the development folder removed, all the user install folders/files removed, so no remnants should be there.

If this is still going to be messy please explain how.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:07 pm »
You might want to clean own source directories from everything generated by the compiler. (lrs files, res, rst , *.o *.ppu)

This so that both the new compiler won't encounter anything from the old one, and to make sure that the files are generated by the new compiler (using the new FPC and Lazarus libraries)

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:16 pm »
If this is still going to be messy please explain how.

Because you still used FPCUP. You should get a well tested release version working before you start experimenting with FPCUP. (Lazarus 1.4 RC1 can be counted as a release version here, it has no fatal bugs.)

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 09:26:00 am »
2)How can I get the latest Lazarus 1.3 and FPC 2.7.1
Not the latest, but if you don't manage any other way try old CodeTyphon 5.10 or CodeTyphon 5.00 from here:
http://www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/wiki/84-wiki/codetyphon-studio/80-codetyphon-download
If I remember well they were both built with Laz 1.3 and FPC 2.7.1
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

TinyPortal © 2005-2018