Recent

Author Topic: What are the settings to run Lazarus configured as plain text editor?  (Read 5603 times)

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
What are the settings to run Lazarus configured as plain text editor?

I created a simple text file to save it and it created a .lpi file. Are there any guides to using Lazarus as a plain text editor, or for use with projects of other languages?
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

Basile B.

Re: What are the settings to run Lazarus configured as plain text editor?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 08:56:38 pm »
I see the problem, Lazarus forces us to work on a project. I also find this a bit irritating, but once you've created a new project, you can create a new Text file from the file menu, then on exit don't save the project...

cdbc

• http://www.cdbc.dk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 01:39:55 am »
What.....
a couple of dialogs, synedit and parsers to your liking, compile, run and you're home free....
How hard can that be ????????????????????????????????????
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
PCLinuxOS(rolling release) 64bit -> KDE5 -> FPC 3.2.2 -> Lazarus 2.2.6 up until Jan 2024 from then on it's: KDE5/QT5 -> FPC 3.3.1 -> Lazarus 3.0

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 05:35:15 am »
What are the settings to run Lazarus configured as plain text editor?
None, it can't be at this time.
I created a simple text file to save it and it created a .lpi file. Are there any guides to using Lazarus as a plain text editor, or for use with projects of other languages?
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Using_Lazarus_for_other_computer_languages
The "always have a project" concept has been a long debate, if you dig in the forum and probably the mailing list. I don't remember the exact date range, but I remember it's pre-1.0 days, probably near 1.0 release. This is because some IDE settings define a "session", which is per project based. As always, there was a feature discussion to implement non-project use of the IDE, along with "solution" (multiple-project, where one may depend on another to define build order). But no one supporting the idea has ever implemented any patches, so the IDE stays as is.

Bart

• Bart en Mariska's Webstek
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:25:11 pm »
What.....
a couple of dialogs, synedit and parsers to your liking, compile, run and you're home free....

Or i.o.w.: LazEdit?

Bart

cdbc

• http://www.cdbc.dk
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 07:43:12 pm »
Hey Bart
Good on you  8)
Didn't know about that one  :)
Thanks - Benny
If it ain't broke, don't fix it ;)
PCLinuxOS(rolling release) 64bit -> KDE5 -> FPC 3.2.2 -> Lazarus 2.2.6 up until Jan 2024 from then on it's: KDE5/QT5 -> FPC 3.3.1 -> Lazarus 3.0

engkin

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
What.....

Apart from having another application, what about Find, Find in Files, Macros, ...etc. :)

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:45 am »
I think it is time now to break out the Lazarus editor from the IDE. That probably lead to a greater understanding of how it works, and enable it to be extended to more languages.

The benefits might even help its role in FreePascal development. Any takers?
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 06:44:44 pm »
I think it is time now to break out the Lazarus editor from the IDE. That probably lead to a greater understanding of how it works, and enable it to be extended to more languages.

The benefits might even help its role in FreePascal development. Any takers?
Go ahead, I vote you! Actually, I quite understand how the editor works and packages that surround it and enhance its functionality. I find it not modular enough to be separated from the IDE. Unless you're ready to lose codetools and many other features that it has.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018