Recent

Author Topic: TIOBE Programming index - we can change it  (Read 4874 times)

DidierL

TIOBE Programming index - we can change it
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:39:07 pm »
Hi all,

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Combining FreePascal and Delphi/Object Pascal, we could bring Pascal to the 9th place in the classment, in front of Javascript!
I think could definitely change Pascal language visibility and acceptance, including in business field.

I complained about the separation, and here is a part of the answer received from the maintainer:
The language should have an own entry on Wikipedia and Wikipedia should clearly state that it concerns a programming language. This is the reason why (Ruby on) Rails, Excel, Android, Boost, Cocoa, ASP and AJAX are not considered programming languages for the index.

FreePascal has an own Wikipedia entry so it should be treated separately, but... the Wikipedia refers to it as a compiler and not as a programming language. So we don't track it at all.

I find it unbelieavable that FreePascal would not be count on TIOBE.
Could somebody make something about that!!?
We should also better cross reference wikipedia articles (Object Pascal, FreePascal).

-
Didier

Blaazen

• POKE 54296,15
    • Eye-Candy Controls
Re: TIOBE Programming index - we can change it
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 06:43:47 pm »
Correction  :)

Combining FreePascal and Delphi/Object Pascal, I get 2,291% which is 8-th place right behind JavaScript but a little better than Python and VisualBasic.NET.

IMO it is very good position.
Lazarus 2.3.0 (rev main-2_3-2863...) FPC 3.3.1 x86_64-linux-qt Chakra, Qt 4.8.7/5.13.2, Plasma 5.17.3
Lazarus 1.8.2 r57369 FPC 3.0.4 i386-win32-win32/win64 Wine 3.21

Try Eye-Candy Controls: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eccontrols/files/

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
If TIOBE does such arbitrary decisions, why bother to influence them at all?
Just forget about them.

DidierL

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 07:32:42 pm »
IMO, whether we find the decision as arbitrary, but the maintainer claim for clear guideline for referencing language:
Thanks for your feedback on our TIOBE index. Please note that we have strict rules about merging or grouping languages. This is to avoid subjective discussions. See http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/programminglanguages_definition.html for more details. Our current way of grouping Pascal, Object Pascal and Delphi are based on this. I hope that this answers your question.
So let's just play the rules!
We (I) cannot keep complaining that Pascal deserves much better  popularity, and at the same time miss this opportunity.
Combining FreePascal and Delphi/Object Pascal, I get 2,291%
Right, I wanted to say just before Python.  ::)

DelphiFreak

• Fresh sound.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 09:13:21 pm »
Please don't waste your time with this Index. ( Or I will revive the "Programming Language Problem Index" )  :D

Focus on constribution to the Free Pascal/Lazarus eco-system and enjoy your life.
Linux Mint 20.3, Lazarus 2.3, Windows 10, Delphi 10.3 Rio, Delphi 11.1 Alexandria

DidierL

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:38:57 am »
My life would be easier if young developers found more interest in coming to my office and learn programming on Lazarus.
Instead, I need to convince them (and their teachers) that Pascal programming knowledge is up to date and marketable for their carrer.
Let's look a bit more far to enlarge our community... "and enjoy our life"  8-)

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:45:26 am »
TIOBE is just overrated. They make decisions on their own, so I won't bother them again, unless they really treat all languages equally.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018