Recent

Author Topic: Lazarus 1.2.6 is bad!  (Read 10502 times)

Robert Gilland

Lazarus 1.2.6 is bad!
« on: December 16, 2014, 04:17:12 am »
Moved from Lazarus 1.0.14 fpc 2.6.2 to Lazarus 1.2.6 fpc 2.6.4

Now cannot even compile stuff.

Can't Find unit LCLType!

How is that possible!

Really getting frustrated at this point! >:D

engkin

Re: Lazarus 1.2.6 is bad!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 04:28:24 am »
 :)
Project ->
  Project Inspector ->
    Add ->
      New Requirement ->
        Package Name: Write or search for "LCLBase"
          Hit: Create New Requirement

DelphiFreak

• Fresh sound.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 04:34:09 am »
Hello Robert,

Lazarus 1.2.6 is not bad at all. A lot of people spent many hours to build that version. How about your constribution to lazarus?

Have you spent some hours for the community?

Now to the problem you reported:
Without telling us on which plattform you are working it will be diffcult to help you.

I suggest you open google, type-in the error message and help yourself.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:42:26 am by DelphiFreak »
Linux Mint 20.3, Lazarus 2.3, Windows 10, Delphi 10.3 Rio, Delphi 11.1 Alexandria

JZS

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:36:28 am »
Moved from Lazarus 1.0.14 fpc 2.6.2 to Lazarus 1.2.6 fpc 2.6.4

Now cannot even compile stuff.

Can't Find unit LCLType!

How is that possible!

Really getting frustrated at this point! >:D

Did you add the necessary requirement? LCL for LCLType?

Am sure, bad is the route you took somewhere  :P
Because am using 1.2.6 fpc 2.6.4, and it never went strange.
I use recent stable release

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:42:21 am »
You said you moved from Lazarus 1.0.14 fpc 2.6.2 to Lazarus 1.2.6 fpc 2.6.4 but you don't tell us how.
Did you install 1.2.6 to a new directory or in the same directory the old Lazarus was, did you uninstall and remove the old Lazarus or just left it?
A bit more information would make it a lot easier for people to give you a helpful answer.
Most of the time you can get rid of your frustration by removing the old lazarus and its settings completely and start fresh with the new installation. That way you cannot have any conflicts with previous installations.
But even that is not necessary because you can install the new Lazarus as a secondary installation with its own settings independent from your old installation.
But without more info it is hard for us to guess what went wrong on your end.
One thing I do know for sure is that Lazarus 1.2.6 IS NOT BAD, it's a good release and a fine product.

Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:36 am »
Probably OP did a BAD UPGRADE instead.

Gizmo

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:38 pm »
I hate it when people criticise the work of others when the criticism should be with themselves.

1.2.6 is the best release yet. I've always upgraded but on the occasional virtual machine I have simply uninstalled the old and installed the new and then added any third party packages as needed. That generally always avoids problems.

JanRoza

• http://www.silentwings.nl
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:21 pm »
And after outing their critics they don't return and answer anymore.
Great contribution!

;D
       Lazarus 3.2 FPC 3.2.2
       CodeTyphon 8.40 FPC 3.3.1

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 01:02:04 am »
I would suggest to check if the paths are correct via "Tools > Options >> Environment > Files" and subsequently to select "Tools > Rescan FPC Source Directory".
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

avra

• Additional info
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:31 am »
Am sure, bad is the route you took somewhere  :P
;)

I really like this reply. Both amortizing the OP's careless topic title and being polite in telling him that he should take another look at his config.
10+++
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:34:12 am by avra »
ct2laz - Conversion between Lazarus and CodeTyphon
bithelpers - Bit manipulation for standard types
pasettimino - Siemens S7 PLC lib

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:46:07 am »
One could argue that OP must have some point by the fact that none of the 6 or so replies quotes an 1.2.6 (or whatever version added this need to add requirements) updating faq.

Zath

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
Why are people laying into the OP ?

If he has a problem with his install, perhaps its a problem with the way Lazarus updates itself over old versions or some other similar issue and not the OP's fault.
Any update should be seamless and let you carry on afterwards atleast at the same level you were before the update. A library shouldn't suddenly become unavailable.

Not everyone using Lazarus has a degree in Lazarus installation routines which is why they come here for help.
Not everyone using Lazarus has a degree in eloquence.

As for replying or returning straight away, not everyone can spend every waking hour in front of the computer so please be patient with users less "lazarus informed" than yourselves. I include myself in this category as I'm only a newbie coder and work every hour god sends, especially this time of year.
I have only had positive and helpful replies to my posts here so I'm grateful for that, even though it might change after this post !

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 01:11:29 pm by Zath »

Eugene Loza

• My games in Pascal
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 04:11:20 pm »
It's not the problem of some version of Lazarus being bad.
It's the problem of upgrading.
I also had problems at my previous Debian installation. Somehow I ended up with two lazarus copies installed at the computer and conflicting one another.
I deinstalled both. Yes... I know... By purging fpc* and lazarus*
My system came down (not completely, but many other problems arised) and now I am happy with my fresh Debian installation O:-)
That taught me to remember to do a complete purge of previous installation before installing a fresh one :)

On one hand it is a good hint to try to make installation procedure consider such possible conflict and warn the user (however, it is not a trivial task). On the other hand, it happens not only to Lazarus and general caution and attention to program installation process is a good thing too.
For this sake I usually upgrade Lazarus rarely. Since 0.24 Lazarus is perfectly stable and I am very happy with performance of 'my current 1.2.4' version.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 10:45:41 pm by Eugene Loza »
My FOSS games in FreePascal&CastleGameEngine: https://decoherence.itch.io/ (Sources: https://gitlab.com/EugeneLoza)

JZS

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 09:20:04 pm »
I am sorry for this might be a bit lengthy.

Why are people laying into the OP ?
Because the OP asked for it. When at wrong it's definitely wrong.
I am not a Lazarus Developer, I speak as a normal user.
Currently Lazarus 1.2.6 is my workplace, and my workplace is not bad. I assure you.

If he has a problem with his install, perhaps its a problem with the way Lazarus updates itself over old versions or some other similar issue and not the OP's fault.
Yes right, so what, that happens almost every now and then with many products, for variety of reasons. You are expected to describe the problem, in detail, to get help. Does the OP question sounds like looking for help?

Any update should be seamless and let you carry on afterwards atleast at the same level you were before the update. A library shouldn't suddenly become unavailable.
You do not know what the OP did, even me, I don't. But I know 1.2.6, so what is the point of blaming the update and not the OP?

Not everyone using Lazarus has a degree in Lazarus installation routines which is why they come here for help.
Not everyone using Lazarus has a degree in eloquence.
I always read the Release Fixes and Changes to know where I will stand in the new version.
For instance, before removing 1.2.4, I used 1.2.6 side by side until convinced I can remove 1.2.4.
I did this for the previous releases as well (I remember I had three different versions running simultaneously), never ran into the OP issue. And I do not have a degree in Lazarus installation routines, I have common sense.

That's typical client thinking: Because X developed an application, X will held responsible for every single mistake, misconfiguration, misuse, overlooked guidance, forgotten passwords, network faulty, blah blah blah. And the product is bad.

Well, come down to reality, just because I made it does not mean I will baby sit everyone using it. You should expect doing some findings, if problems arose, google is a good start.

For that, the OP definitely is mistaken.
I, among many many users, tried 1.2.6 and rebuilt it countless times without issues.
Here the OP is upgrading and bumped into an issue, does that make 1.2.6 bad release?

I have only had positive and helpful replies to my posts here so I'm grateful for that, even though it might change after this post !
Why is that? Rest assured, no one cares about what you said in another thread and brings up quotes to the current. Even no one will remember.

Same as you, am grateful for the help am getting from this forum, but let's not forget the tremendous efforts for keeping this show going by the dedicated developers behind the scene. And barely users go to "Contributors" to see the number of developers it takes to keep a free release maintained.
Hereby I say to them THANK YOU, your efforts are well recognized and appreciated by this community.

Lazarus is the best. Viva Lazarus.
I use recent stable release

exdatis

• exdatis
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
Lazarus is the best. Viva Lazarus.
Agree!  ;)

TinyPortal © 2005-2018