Recent

Author Topic: SVG Lazarus Icon  (Read 10339 times)

edvard

SVG Lazarus Icon
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:26:54 am »
I noticed the Lazarus icon is only available as a 256x256 png.  I have done a "close-enough" trace in Inkscape (not just a bitmap trace, I hand-drew much of it) but could find no information as to the original artist or the license. 
Who is the original artist, and would he/she mind if I offered my SVG version to the community?  A 256 px icon is usually high enough resolution for most purposes, but I wanted something I could combine with other SVG icons to make new Lazarus ones (like combining with the "package-x-generic" Tango icon to use for .lpk files).
All children left unattended will be given a mocha and a puppy.

Arch (though I may go back to Debian)| FreePascal 3.2.2 + Lazarus 2.2.4, GTK2+ and Qt.  Mostly Qt...

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: SVG Lazarus Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
Which icon you mean? Can we see your SVG version?
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

edvard

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:22:59 am »
The blue leopard face one.  I just wanted to make sure it's OK with the original artist, because basically I'm flat-out copying it into vector format. 

Arch (though I may go back to Debian)| FreePascal 3.2.2 + Lazarus 2.2.4, GTK2+ and Qt.  Mostly Qt...

edvard

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:08:56 pm »
OK, no other responses, so I'm just going to post it. Mods can take it down if necessary.  I've licensed it under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 (CC BY-SA) International License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

If anybody knows the original artist and/or license please let me know so I may attribute it correctly.

[update: new SVG icon below]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:39:13 pm by edvard »

CM630

• Не съм сигурен, че те разбирам.
    • http://sourceforge.net/u/cm630/profile/
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »
If anybody knows the original artist and/or license please let me know so I may attribute it correctly.
I suppose you have checked if there is not a tag in the png.
Probably the image can be tracked in the SVN repository?
Лазар 3,2 32 bit (sometimes 64 bit); FPC3,2,2; rev: Lazarus_3_0 on Win10 64bit.

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »
The blue leopard face one.

Great work! BTW, it's a chetah, not a leopard.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »

You still did not mention the original picture, but it looks like "mainicon.ico". Maybe this one should be named "mainicon.svg"?
I don't know of the original artist but I think it could be added to images dir.

edvard

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 10:38:10 pm »
Great work! BTW, it's a chetah, not a leopard.

Thank you, and oops...  :-[
(cheetah, cheetah, cheetah... ok, got it)

I suppose you have checked if there is not a tag in the png.
Probably the image can be tracked in the SVN repository?

There are no tags or anything in the EXIF data of the image (I assume the 256x256 .png is the original). 
Looking through the SVN repo (great idea, BTW), I found in the history for /trunk/images/icons/, someone named "Paul" (Ishenin?) retired the old lazarus icon for "... new made by Laurent", who looks to be the artist of the other 'new' Lazarus icons.  According to http://wiki.freepascal.org/Developer_pages, that is probably Laurent Jacques, listed as "not active".  His page at http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Wile64 doesn't mention icons.
Does anyone still know how to contact him?  I couldn't find any way to leave him a message.

You still did not mention the original picture, but it looks like "mainicon.ico". Maybe this one should be named "mainicon.svg"?
I don't know of the original artist but I think it could be added to images dir.

The icon i took it from was [lazarus]/images/icons/lazarus256x256.png
I assume 'mainicon.ico' was compiled from the six sizes from 256px - 16px pngs.  If you'd like to take my drawing as a submission, be my guest.  Happy to contribute.  I've uploaded a new version with attribution  to Laurent in the SVG code.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:32 am »
Now I found the original icons and yes, lazarus.svg is a better name.
I added your SVG version in r47233. Thanks.
Copyright should not be an issue as the icons were donated to Lazarus project anyway.

BTW, if somebody wants to make another icon (not SVG this time), we would need one for TListViewFilterEdit in LazControls. I have copied the current icon temporarily from TListFilterEdit.
The new icon should have the TListView icon + the filter image.
IIRC Paul Ishenin made some filter icons but he seems to be inactive now for some time.
How important would it be to have original image files used by the image manipulator program for existing icons?

edvard

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 06:35:53 am »
Like so?
Took just a few seconds in Gimp.  Need anything else?   8-)

jwdietrich

• formatio reticularis
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 11:13:54 am »
Very nice work! Please upload the file also to the Lazarus wiki.
function GetRandomNumber: integer; // xkcd.com
begin
  GetRandomNumber := 4; // chosen by fair dice roll. Guaranteed to be random.
end;

http://www.formatio-reticularis.de

Lazarus 2.2.6 | FPC 3.2.2 | PPC, Intel, ARM | macOS, Windows, Linux

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2014, 02:39:38 pm »
Like so?
Took just a few seconds in Gimp.  Need anything else?   8-)

Sorry, I didn't notice it at once.
Did you extract the filter part from an existing icon with some special selection tool in Gimp and then copy/pasted it?
It is otherwise good but the filter image is in a different place than in the other FilterEdit component icons, namely
- ListFilterEdit (could be named ListboxFilterEdit)
- TreeFilterEdit
They have the icon in the upper right corner, your icon has it in the lower left corner.
These components are related, part of the same series, it would it nice to have a consistent look between them.
More FilterEdit components can be inherited from the same base class in future if some multi-line edit control needs it, although I don't currently have such plans.

edvard

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 01:56:41 am »
It is otherwise good but the filter image is in a different place than in the other FilterEdit component icons, namely

Ah, I didn't notice the position.  Somewhere in the icons folder, there is a stand-alone filter image, I just took that and pasted it on.  I'll take a look at the other ones a little closer and give it a re-do later.

Very nice work! Please upload the file also to the Lazarus wiki.

Thanks! I'll do that as soon as I work up an updated icon per Juha's suggestions above.

edvard

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 03:40:31 am »
Ah I see why I positioned the filter image where I did.  [lazarus]/images/components/tfiltercombobox.png has the filter image on the lower-left.  Also, [lazarus]/components/lazcontrols/images/shortpathedit.png has the filter at lower-left, but listfilteredit.png in the same directory has it in the upper-right as you mention.

Seems to me that it depends on context, I mean, the reasons those others are in different positions is because you can see the elements of the image that signify what they are without being too obscured by the filter image.  By that token, I think that the tlistfilterview icon looks rather fetching with the filter image on the lower-right, but I also agree that we should be consistent.  I've uploaded both for demonstration:

CM630

• Не съм сигурен, че те разбирам.
    • http://sourceforge.net/u/cm630/profile/
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 10:39:32 am »
Like so?
Took just a few seconds in Gimp.
Shame on you, why did not you use LazPaint ;)
Лазар 3,2 32 bit (sometimes 64 bit); FPC3,2,2; rev: Lazarus_3_0 on Win10 64bit.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018