Recent

Author Topic: Compiling FPC/Lazarus for lesser platforms  (Read 3406 times)

idog

• www.idogendel.com (Hebrew)
Compiling FPC/Lazarus for lesser platforms
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:20:29 am »
Hi all,

Some background: I used Lazarus (on Windows 7) to write a utility for Arduino users (for those interested: http://www.idogendel.com/en/products/serial-monitor-deluxe). The program works fine, and I want to create a Linux version too. But my only available Linux machine is a BeagleBone Black board with Debian Wheezy. It runs Lazarus 9.31, but doesn't have enough resources to recompile Lazarus with the required additional packages (and I would like to have a more recent build anyway).

So, my question is: considering that I'm a Linux noob, and not familiar with the inner workings of FPC/Lazarus, is there a reasonable way for me to recompile the entire FPC/Lazarus setup from my windows to armhf, and get one big folder I can just copy to the BeagleBone black and have it work there?

I searched this topic for the Beaglebone (and Raspberry Pi for good measure), but all I found was either outdated, too complex for my knowledge level or just didn't work...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Bram71

Re: Compiling FPC/Lazarus for lesser platforms
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:03:05 pm »
The solution(s) i used,

Use a virtual machine (vbox or vmware) with the os and (a recent) Lazarus where i want to compile for and test my applications on. For me it's the other way around, i'm on Linux and still have to support some windows users.

For the BBB and RPi i use CodeTyphon an crosscompile with that. They have simple instructions on how to set up a cross build environment and for me it was / is the simplest way to get the results i wanted.

idog

• www.idogendel.com (Hebrew)
Re: Compiling FPC/Lazarus for lesser platforms
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »
The solution(s) i used,

Use a virtual machine (vbox or vmware) with the os and (a recent) Lazarus where i want to compile for and test my applications on. For me it's the other way around, i'm on Linux and still have to support some windows users.

For the BBB and RPi i use CodeTyphon an crosscompile with that. They have simple instructions on how to set up a cross build environment and for me it was / is the simplest way to get the results i wanted.

Never worked with VMs. Can a "virtual" Linux talk to external hardware devices reliably?
I prefer to use a regular Lazarus on the target platform directly, not to cross-compile my software - I'll probably have enough issues to worry about as it is...

I'm aware I can install some Linux with dual-boot, but since my Windows machine is the one I use for work, I don't want to mess with it too much.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018