Recent

Author Topic: Option to put form designer on a container  (Read 9074 times)

dmytron

Option to put form designer on a container
« on: November 26, 2014, 08:06:52 pm »
Do you think it would be good to put form designer on a separate container? It would be something like in KZDesktop, where there's a separate tab for designing, but still floats.

This would be good for people who like monolith design because now they would be able to use AnchorDocking and anchor the forn designer without hiding it. It would be good even for me -- sorry, but KZDesktop's interface is pretty ugly.

Of course, for those who prefer old Delphi 7 style, form designer container would be optional.

And can somebody implement it?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
Re: Option to put form designer on a container
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 08:32:29 pm »
Yes, that will be a necessary feature to make docking usable.
Who will implement it, I don't know. Mattias and Martin know the relevant code best.
In any case the feature must be well designed. If somebody wants to implement it, please discuss with core developers in the mailing list.
It is not a trivial feature. If you plan to implement it, first practice with easier bug fixes.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Never

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 08:34:39 pm »
@dmytron
is this [ http://lazplanet.blogspot.gr/2013/03/run-lazarus-in-single-window.html ] what are you looking for?
there is a package / packages with this behavior cant remember the names right now thought
but you will find them if you google
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:37:43 pm by Never »
Νέπε Λάζαρε λάγγεψων οξωκά ο φίλοσ'ς αραεύσε

dmytron

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:38:51 pm »
If you plan to implement it

Where did you get this stupid idea? ;)

I am just an idea generator. Besides, comparing Lazarus and KZDesktop source code, the latter is more complicated. I'm surprised Lazarus IDE source code is so simple :)

It's just an idea to discuss and maybe to encourage somebody to write the code. I think somebody more experienced could steal the feature from KZDesktop.

In its current form AnchorDocking isn't very usable for desktop programmer.

s this [ http://lazplanet.blogspot.gr/2013/03/run-lazarus-in-single-window.html ] what are you looking for?
Yes, I mention KZDesktop but it's pretty ugly for me.

Basile B.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:18 pm »
I remember that once, while reading/reviewing some IDE units or maybe some Anchordockings ones, a comment was saying (aproximatively):

"TODO: find a way to make the designer dockable without adding code"

Maybe this is what is blocking the process...But there are also other blockers in Anchordocking, for example the windows, when docked as tabs, are not saved (I mean in an XMLConfig).

dmytron

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
But there are also other blockers in Anchordocking, for example the windows, when docked as tabs, are not saved (I mean in an XMLConfig).

You can save window layout, as far as I know. Maybe there's some way to autosave window layout after every (or some) layout change?

Basile B.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:51:59 pm »
But there are also other blockers in Anchordocking, for example the windows, when docked as tabs, are not saved (I mean in an XMLConfig).

You can save window layout, as far as I know. Maybe there's some way to autosave window layout after every (or some) layout change?

Maybe you don't get what I mean, of course the layout is saved but when a window is docked as tab, the layout backup doesn't include this particular window.

dmytron

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:55:53 pm »
I now understand what you mean. However, I'm going to use Form Designer in AnchorDocking just as a window, not as a tab. It's a temporary solution but better that nothing that is now.

Basile B.

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:31:07 pm »
Where did you get this stupid idea? ;)
I am just an idea generator. .

Sorry to be rude but you're irritant.
Everybody has ideas but not everybody can implement them.
An idea is nothing. To have ideas is so common.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 12:32:34 am »
...But there are also other blockers in Anchordocking, for example the windows, when docked as tabs, are not saved (I mean in an XMLConfig).

Many such problems are fixed in trunk. Try it and tell us if the errors you had still happen there.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:00 am »
I am just an idea generator. Besides, comparing Lazarus and KZDesktop source code, the latter is more complicated. I'm surprised Lazarus IDE source code is so simple :)

Interesting. The major parts of Lazarus are well designed. It often shows as simplicity.
For example when dependencies in code are carefully managed and restricted, the end result looks light and clear but getting there often required lots of pondering and experimenting.

It's just an idea to discuss and maybe to encourage somebody to write the code. I think somebody more experienced could steal the feature from KZDesktop.

It has been discussed a lot. We would need functional code more than we need discussions.
Without looking at KZDesktop code yet, I doubt we want to steal it. Maintainability and design are crucial for the project's future.

dmytron

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 01:28:28 pm »
Can somebody at least add an option to make designer window always on top? It would be great in AnchorDocking. Press a button -- and designer form is on top and non-hideable (this way obj. insp. is easier to use), press a button once again -- and designer form is hidden.

zeljko

• http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User:Zeljan
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 07:34:31 pm »
Can somebody at least add an option to make designer window always on top? It would be great in AnchorDocking. Press a button -- and designer form is on top and non-hideable (this way obj. insp. is easier to use), press a button once again -- and designer form is hidden.

If you're on x11 and you have decent window manager you can do that by your self. Click on title bar menu and check "Keep above others". It is so with KDE, think it should be available under gnome too.

dmytron

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 08:32:09 pm »
Unfortunately I'm on Windows.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018