Recent

Author Topic: Delphi adopted FPC?  (Read 41544 times)

kazalex

Re: Delphi adopted FPC?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 11:04:47 pm »
don't be naive - FPC cannot replace modern Delphi.

sure it can, I don't use Delphi anymore and use Laz+FPC for everything now.  So it replaced it for me at least :-)
I think that "modern delphi" and used by you dialect it different things  ;)

sam707

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2014, 03:06:55 am »
sure Lazarus is now big enough to turn into professionnal projects with solid and stable sources to compile such projects.

what is missing to my point of view is a skin engine with effects, to make applications attractive and amazing to the final clients. RAD studio have it, and you can choose from around 15 templates of skins PLUS an embeded tool to make your own easily with bitmaps resources and effects.

If such a skin engine bypassing the OSes Frames and Titles, arrives inside Lazarus one day, giving the final users and the programmers Total Freedom on the look and feel (avoiding by the way boredom on platforms), THEN Lazarus will definitively superseed Delphi, simply because it compiles true natives apps ON ITS OWN

one can say "i want operators" like in C++, an other "i want a garbage collector" like in C#, and a far cousin "I want a blue keyboard with pink flakes" THAT IS OF NO MATTER! to copy others! What Matters is to go ahead with what clients need the most, maybe also to invent new concepts not belonging to others!

"Dont give them what they want, give them what they need, thats not the same" or you are going to get lost

When I work on my Qt project with my Qt team do you really think we care about VisualStudio or .Net compatibility? even if Qt and VS are C++! We dont care "compatibility" we care A TOOL THAT WORKS FINE with Great Power! to achieve our businesses from A to Z and eventually make money (that is "Productivity"!)

Time to become a Big Boy, Dear Lazarus! You deserve it! you dont need to copy the others ... you need to Go Ahead! and perhaps being copied by others in a final glory

Thank You Lazarus/FPC team
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 03:43:56 am by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2014, 03:19:44 am »
kinda "omg VisualStudio C++ doesnt have signal/slot" like Qt C++ we need to cry years and years on msdn forum

HAHAHAH BS!!!! furthermore that would sound like heretic manners :D

kazalex

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:39 pm »
FreePascal not should aspire be different from Delphi. He should aspire be best Delphi than Delphi itself.

skalogryz

• Global Moderator
    • havefunsoft.com
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:11 am »
FreePascal not should aspire be different from Delphi. He should aspire be best Delphi than Delphi itself.
Here's the problem. Is it possible to be better than Delphi, by only repeating after Delphi?

My favorite example is iOS. FPC was the first to introduce iOS target with native support for ObjC. Now Delphi tried to do their own version, but their business side apparently made a decision to release XE2 having FPC as a backup plan.
Now, that's being better than Delphi - making them to use FPC.

With that said... isn't FPC already better than Delphi? with its backward compatibility support as well as .. well... Linux support?

sam707

« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 02:03:31 am »
I agree with you @skalogryz :

Being compatible at some point is cool... It attracts people who are used to work with the other tool. It is also a trap, where you are stuck and can not really move ahead tho.

the good comportment resides on my last posts here.

Regards!

sam707

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:10 am »
... Imagine Lazarus/FPC invents a few new keywords around a 'next generation' concept that is supposed very useful, just imagine, ok?

you then will see (and i am sure of it) embarcadero mimic FPC/Lazarus the next months, doing it on their own way.

What does that confirm? simply that Lazarus is NOW big enough to get its own Life!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:09:49 am by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 02:11:29 am »
example = a UI script engine like QML but in pascal flavour, with events etc that automatically adapts App's UIs upon platforms screens

QML is the pseudo language invented by Qt to make dynamic/adaptive UI frmworks.

If Lazarus makes that, yoou'll see Delphi copy it ! 100% sure!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 02:17:15 am by sam707 »

kazalex

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2014, 02:24:27 am »
Here's the problem. Is it possible to be better than Delphi, by only repeating after Delphi?
Not. But compatibility is required if FPC is interested in increase of users audience. But it is necessary to remember that today's Delphi users is not Delphi 7 - guys.

My favorite example is iOS. FPC was the first to introduce iOS target with native support for ObjC. Now Delphi tried to do their own version, but their business side apparently made a decision to release XE2 having FPC as a backup plan.
Now, that's being better than Delphi - making them to use FPC.
In XE2 time Embarcadero not had own iOS compiler, but already in XE4 had. FPC was a temporary and limited solution, because modern Delphi features could not be used on iOS and was subject to criticism.

With that said... isn't FPC already better than Delphi? with its backward compatibility support as well as .. well... Linux support?
I already talked about platforms support and i shall repeat it again: FPC much better than Delphi in this regard (Linux support in Delphi are planned on next year, but server side only, no gui), but he still multy-platform Delphi 7.

... Imagine Lazarus/FPC invents a few new keywords around a 'next generation' concept that is supposed very useful, just imagine, ok?

you then will see (and i am sure of it) embarcadero mimic FPC/Lazarus the next months, doing it on their own way.
I think Embarcadero will do all it is possible for incompatibility.

sam707

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:42 am »

I think Embarcadero will do all it is possible for incompatibility.

what's the point? I did already explain that I work with VC++ and Qt C++ so this way of thinking makes you stuck and pointless

FPK

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 10:00:08 am »
None. Or you think that fact of using open source project obliges me to contribute code for him? But may be you think that i criticize the developers of FPC? No, i talk why FPC cannot replace modern Delphi and only it.

Oh, great conclusion. Believe me, other people have drawn this conclusion years (18?) ago and started coding, so you are a little bit too late with talking about it.

kazalex

« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 12:02:42 pm »
what's the point? I did already explain that I work with VC++ and Qt C++ so this way of thinking makes you stuck and pointless
C++ in contrast with ObjectPascal (ok, Delphi dialect of ObjectPascal) has standard. Embarcadero can change Delphi dialect at any time (and their PM already talked about it). And Embarcadero exactly not interested in the competitor which a free, multy-platform and fully compatible because it bad for their business - selling updates two times in year.

Oh, great conclusion. Believe me, other people have drawn this conclusion years (18?) ago and started coding, so you are a little bit too late with talking about it.
I'm not topic starter, but think that false illusions is not good for anybody.

sam707

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 01:29:38 pm »

C++ in contrast with ObjectPascal (ok, Delphi dialect of ObjectPascal) has standard. Embarcadero can change Delphi dialect at any time (and their PM already talked about it). And Embarcadero exactly not interested in the competitor which a free, multy-platform and fully compatible because it bad for their business - selling updates two times in year.

delphi has NO standard, if you wana talk standards, send a letter to Professor Niklaus Wirth AUTHOR of Pascal and contributor to ALL its succcessors that are Modula 2, Oberon, ... , NOT DELPHI

THEN

FPC/Lazarus has the same RIGHTS to pretend to be a standard and legitimate it!!!!!

Wirth was the chief designer of the programming languages Euler, Algol W, Pascal, Modula, Modula-2, Oberon, Oberon-2, and Oberon-07. He was also a major part of the design and implementation team for the Lilith and Oberon operating systems, and for the Lola digital hardware design and simulation system.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:39:27 pm by sam707 »

sam707

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 01:37:16 pm »
im an History Fan of many standardS @kazalex :D you are in troubles hahahah! Delphi has NEVER been a "standard'!!! and will never be!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 01:51:19 pm by sam707 »

kazalex

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »
delphi has NO standard
I talk that C++ has standard, not Delphi.

im an History Fan of many standardS @kazalex :D you are in troubles hahahah! Delphi has NEVER been a "standard'!!! and will never be!!!
Open your eyes, Delphi is de-facto standard of modern Pascal world. More advanced dialects of Pascal exists of course, but they much less popular than Delphi. Look at FPC RTL which practically one-to-one are copying Delphi RTL, even such stupid things as TEncoding. And you say that Delphi is not standard? If who and has troubles, then it not i.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018