Recent

Author Topic: "Hello word" ¿¿¿3.79Mb???  (Read 13031 times)

Nohaim

"Hello word" ¿¿¿3.79Mb???
« on: May 06, 2004, 03:25:04 am »
Hi!
I'm running Lazarus on XP, and run fine! but... when I compile some project (as "hello word"), the executable is more than 3Mb big!! I've tryed changing some options, but I think the problem is when linking, because object files are smaller than 170Kb (helloform.o)
Can someone tell me what about?
Thanks!!

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 09:38:38 am »

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 07:30:37 am »
Okay, so I'm beating the dead horse here, but were you aware that a "hello world" app written in .NET is over 23 MB? - okay so it's not EXACTLY the same thing because most of that code is in a second (or third or fourth...) file, but you need ALL those files for it to work (and all must be installed correctly.)  Delphi / Lazarus take the stance for most things that one bigger EXE is better than a tiny EXE with 120 required libraries and DLL's.  It's just a design choice.  Personally I like it - less of a hassle making it work on multiple client machines, all with different available runtime versions of MS software (or Linux for that matter.)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 07:32:34 am »
Oh, and try setting your compiler options to strip symbols from executable and not include line numbers for runtime backtraces.  Pulls 2-4 megs off the typical EXE.

fatg

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 02:14:25 pm »
4mb is slowly but surely becoming an irrelevant amount of space used, compared to disksize/bandwidth standards. It may not yet be, but soon it will :)

Lightning

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 11:09:56 am »
The KOL library for Delphi and now FreePascal is probably what you need, they don't use complex Delphi like classes, instead they use simple objects and make executables much smaller.
Not so sure about direct Lazarus suport.
Lazarus should use this kind of Components too for size.:wink:
http://www.bonanzas.rinet.ru/
http://xcl.cjb.net/
The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 09:50:07 am »
KOL is good for simple , small tools like presented in Tools section of webpage. I've used KOL almost from project start and I'm impressed how easy is to write small application with, however if You try some bigger You encounter many problems also becouse KOL visual library MCK is only wrapper on VCL designed IDE and tends to regenerate project all over again in difficult to catch moments.Also object allocation (in Delphi) has poor performance compared to classes when more and more objects are in project. It support Free Pascal now , but not Lazarus . Sorry for long offtopic.

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 08:39:36 pm »
Where is the option to strip symbols in Lazarus?

Vincent Snijders

• Administrator
    • My Lazarus wiki user page
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2004, 11:10:52 pm »
Project, Compiler Options, Linking, Strip Symbols from executable.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018