Recent

Author Topic: Does the debugger work with Windows  (Read 2443 times)

picstart

Does the debugger work with Windows
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:33:32 am »
Lazarus IDE v1.0.12 C:\lazarus\fpc\2.6.2\bin\x86_64-win64\fpc.exe
Debugger will break with a simple hello world application...the button click event does label.caption:='Hello' If the label.caption:='Hello'  source code line is selected as a break point the debugger surprisingly works.
Next I have an app that is a server using Lnet. It also has a button
Code: [Select]
procedure TFormMain.LedOffBtnClick(Sender: TObject);
var s1:string;
    asocket:TLSocket;
begin

s1:='C=LedOff';

if(gcombo_idx>=0) then
    begin
    asocket:=TLSocket(Combobox1.Items.Objects[gcombo_idx]);
    //label2.caption:=asocket.PeerAddress+' '+InttoStr(gcombo_idx);
    asocket.SendMessage(s1);
    MemoText.Append(s1+'->'+asocket.PeerAddress);
    end;
   {
    EditSend.Text := '';

if FIsServer then begin
      asocket.SendMessage(s1);

end else

}
end;             

The break is on line s1:='C=LedOff'; and it is completely ignored.

I apologize for venting:
Often I feel completely frustrated by Lazarus since it gives me a feeling of diminishing ownership with each new release.
Ownership means knowing what Lazarus is doing at all times..especially where it places info if the info is to be  outside the folder C:\Lazarus I permit Lazarus to live in.

Martin_fr

• Administrator
  • Debugger - SynEdit - and more
    • wiki
Re: Does the debugger work with Windows
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:21:59 am »
Ensure the setup.

No optimization .....

Also if problems persist, try dwarf vs stabs

picstart

Re: Does the debugger work with Windows
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 11:21:32 am »
In project>options>linking the box Generate debugging info for GDB (slower/ increases exe-size) needed to be checked.

In this case the project was modified from a Lnet example which had the box unchecked..since it is was obscured by the features within features Lazarus options and since the IDE allowed the break pt to be selected to appeared to be a buggy debugger.

This menu within menu and endless features that are statistically rarely used often  makes Lazarus an uncomfortable IDE.
Many of Lazarus's features are unlikely to be used...like having a bath tub in your car...nice for the 0.001% who feel like bathing while driving but mostly it will go unused for everyone else.

Reliable and consistent Help and debugging are comfort features in an IDE like a hot meal on a cold day.
Lazarus help often needs help to get it working and now the debugger perhaps will often need help.

I have been using Basic4 Android due to delays in Android support within Lazarus.
It is very comfortable to use perhaps it is because like Delphi it has a corporate owner that targets the market. If 99% of customers don't need a feature then management won't let coders develop it.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions that got the  debugger debugging correctly.

And, yes Lazarus is overall very nice except when I feel I'm drowning in the bathtub I never needed.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018