Recent

Author Topic: [Suggestion to make Code explorers search textbox to] Please your Opinions about  (Read 13391 times)

Never

imho it would be a nice feature if the search textbox of the code explorer was acting like a recent items list... maybe a combobox with autocomplete etc. like the one in the form [Find] with the caption [Text to find]
============================
what is your opinion about this
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:56:52 am by Never »
Νέπε Λάζαρε λάγγεψων οξωκά ο φίλοσ'ς αραεύσε

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
It is a filter, not a search. I explained my view in the bug report you had opened:
  http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=26900

I am happy you opened this thread now in forum. Such discussion belongs here instead of the bug tracker.
IMO in Code Explorer a filter fits better than a search feature.
However the filter is a little buggy. It needs explicit refreshing sometimes and does not expand the filtered branches automatically etc.
The dedicated TTreeFilterEdit is not used here, the logic is built with a normal TEdit.
If you (or somebody else) wants to improve Code Explorer, please study the code, replace the TEdit with TTreeFilterEdit and change the code accordingly.
Warning: it is not a trivial task. IIRC the parsing by CodeTools and updating the TreeView data is done in OnIdle handler in many steps so it does not slow down other parts of the IDE. It will take time to understand the code.

"Never", if you truely want to improve Lazarus, please learn the code and fix some real bugs.
Now you are only presenting ideas which IMO are not very well thought.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

Never

the request do not conserns the fanctionality if is filtering or searching
 insted all i'm trying to tell  is the fact
that a dropdown list with the recent filtered items will be very useful because we will avoid to type the same things again and again

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
the request do not conserns the fanctionality if is filtering or searching
 insted all i'm trying to tell  is the fact
that a dropdown list with the recent filtered items will be very useful because we will avoid to type the same things again and again

I wrote in the bug tracker:
"Filter is different from search. Filtering takes effect after every keypress. Often 2 or 3 characters are enough to find what you wanted. Thus a recent items dropdown list does not make so much sense for a filter.
In a search feature you type a whole word and press Enter. It makes more sense to keep those words in a history list."

Do we have a major language barrier or is there some other reason why you refuse to understand what I write?
If you want to be useful, please study the code and fix some bugs.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:55:09 pm by JuhaManninen »

Never

Filtering takes effect after every keypress.
ctrl+v are keypresses aren't?
the refresh button takes account the filter string? isn't it?

@JuhaManninen i came here because you asked me to discuss these things with other people
you stated your opinions very well in the bug tracker so let other people to talk why you repeating the same things?

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
@JuhaManninen i came here because you asked me to discuss these things with other people
you stated your opinions very well in the bug tracker so let other people to talk why you repeating the same things?

True, I have been too negative. I am not completely against a history list for a filter, although I don't see it as very important.
It should be supported for all filters then and integrated with InputHistory unit.
I propose the following if somebody wants to implement it:

1. Replace the current Code Explorer's filter which is built using TEdit with the dedicated TTreeFilterEdit. At the same go solve the issues of updating and expanding the tree. The Refresh button should not be needed, the view should update automatically when things change.

2. Implement historylist support for FilterEdit controls. It includes the TListFilterEdit. With TTreeFilterEdit they inherit from the same base class and the history support should go there.

Never

Now you are talking
I don't see it as very important
no it isn't but if you add this feature these entries will work also as potential bookmarks and there you have it the Code Explorer will have the place it deserves and when this happens developers will use it more and we will be able to spot the bugs easyer.
At the same go solve the issues of updating and expanding the tree.
i will do my best to track them down and spot them
The Refresh button should not be needed
but currently is a need
the view should update automatically when things change
agreed 100%

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
no it isn't but if you add this feature these entries will work also as potential bookmarks and there you have it the Code Explorer will have the place it deserves and when this happens developers will use it more and we will be able to spot the bugs easyer.

I am still suspicions about how it would work in practice.
You normally type words character by character. Pasting from clipboard is an exception.
All intermediate versions of your typing will be saved because the filter works after every key press.
At least you should not save very short strings there, maybe 4 letters would be the minimum length.
Even then you will have a strange history.
Say you have "MySuperMethod". For some reason you must type all of it before you find it. After that the history shows:
MySu     <- 4 chars
MySup
MySupe
MySuper
MySuperM
... More lines ...
MySuperMetho
MySuperMethod

How useful is that?

Never

All intermediate versions of your typing will be saved because...
this is not a need just hold in the list the current value of the textbox (regardless the length and only if there isn't already there ) when the user (Edit**2(makes a selection)=executes a command)  from the tree
Edit***: this will ensure is not an obsolte wrong or intermintiate filter
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 08:03:00 pm by Never »

Never

is hard to belive that none is interested on this !!!!
at least just vote it down if you think is not a need for it
thank you

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
at least just vote it down if you think is not a need for it
thank you

Why should people vote about your ideas? This is an open source project, things get implemented only if somebody ... well ... implements them.
Voting does not help. Or in other words, the best way to vote is to implement your favorite feature yourself and provide a patch.

Never

Why should people vote about your ideas?
why they shouldn't ??????
They do not have to i'm asking for it because
Never, why did you reopen this? I consider it as a bad idea and nobody else expressed any interest in it either.
The only way you can make this happen is to provide code that implements it. Then people can test the feature and either agree or disagree with it.
Without a patch this will be resolved as "won't fix".
and nobody else expressed any interest in it either.

Do i have to ask a permission from you to ask people?if they like something or not?

Now please answer me what problem this is producing to you?
you fighting to not be implemented? from none else except me? because
I consider it as a bad idea
??????
and why you asked for descustion? in witch you were the only person that took place?
why you did no just delete the bug/suggestion report at first place?
why ???...............
Why you are asking for suggetions if in case you
I consider it as a bad idea
noone else allowed to have an opionion about it?

This is an open source project, things get implemented only if somebody ... well ... implements them.
why you are acting like this ''somebody'' is only you?

ps/ i have more whys but i will stop here.................

Edit***:this section of the forums [ Suggestions »IDE/CodeTools  ] is for this porpouse and you even if you are an administrator in these forums you are promoting to people to not participate to other peoples suggestions well this makes a logical error to me
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 07:30:41 pm by Never »

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
My main message was that only functional source code matters in an open source project. Voting etc. without any code does not matter.
I am not trying to prevent anybody commenting your ideas, I was more trying to push you to make a patch to support your ideas.
Well, nobody else commented but it is not my fault.

As I wrote I don't think your idea is very good but I will change my mind if you implement it and it works well.
Using a phrase from Linus Torvalds: talk is cheap, show me the code.

Never

My main message was that only functional source code matters in an open source project.
All your main messages were and are negative +slightingly +defiantly except your try to prove me wrong and moron
Say you have "MySuperMethod". For some reason you must type all of it before you find it. After that the history shows:
MySu     <- 4 chars
MySup
MySupe
MySuper
MySuperM
... More lines ...
MySuperMetho
MySuperMethod

How useful is that?
where you hit your head to the wall and after that you continue the same story
i do not do the same because i respect your age
Voting etc. without any code does not matter.
Change this [  Suggestions »IDE/CodeTools   ] to [ Submit your Patch »IDE/CodeTools  ] and i will consider your opinion
I was more trying to push you to make a patch to support your ideas.
no you weren't you were trying to reject the suggestion from the first time until now.....with my aggrement this will not going to happen...
you really stating that anyone without the proper knowledge of tha language and the ide shouldn't express his/her ideas? don't you
Well, nobody else commented but it is not my fault.
and none will ever do if people fighting
but I will change my mind if you implement it and it works well.
to be openminded your opinion for my work does matter for me (like everyone elses opinion)
for you is not the same only your opion matters....
but after all who knows we might be both wrong

why don't you post this at the top of mantis?

ps/ you did n't answer a single question did  you!
for me any further discussion with you is meaningless because is obvious for some reason related to your selfishness this became personal if you understant  this is fine if you don't is better . End of story
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:18:03 pm by Never »

dmytron

I vote down. I think there's no need for the search box if there's possibility to filter. But keep in mind that I don't use Code explorer anyway.

why don't you post this at the top of mantis?

Never, I think it's a great idea! I think it will encourage people like me not only to look at the numerous "new" bugs but also to correct them as well.

1. Replace the current Code Explorer's filter which is built using TEdit with the dedicated TTreeFilterEdit. At the same go solve the issues of updating and expanding the tree. The Refresh button should not be needed, the view should update automatically when things change.

2. Implement historylist support for FilterEdit controls. It includes the TListFilterEdit. With TTreeFilterEdit they inherit from the same base class and the history support should go there.

Looks good in theory.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018