Recent

Author Topic: AnchorDockingDsgn: Form editor does not stay on top  (Read 9249 times)

CM630

• Не съм сигурен, че те разбирам.
    • http://sourceforge.net/u/cm630/profile/
AnchorDockingDsgn: Form editor does not stay on top
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:17 pm »
I have just installed AnchorDockingDsgn and I have the following problem- when I click on any of the panels in the IDE the form editor disappears, instead of staying on top. To be shown again Menu->View->Toffle unit/form view shall be clicked twice.
For example, when  AnchorDockingDsgn is not installed, the form editor desappears only when clicking on the source editor, but not when clicking on the Object Inspector window.
Is there a way to prevent the form viewer from disappearing or I shall report this as a bug?
Лазар 3,2 32 bit (sometimes 64 bit); FPC3,2,2; rev: Lazarus_3_0 on Win10 64bit.

taazz

Re: AnchorDockingDsgn: Form editor does not stay on top
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:36:56 pm »
I have just installed AnchorDockingDsgn and I have the following problem- when I click on any of the panels in the IDE the form editor disappears, instead of staying on top. To be shown again Menu->View->Toffle unit/form view shall be clicked twice.
For example, when  AnchorDockingDsgn is not installed, the form editor desappears only when clicking on the source editor

Ans since in anchor docking all of the panels are docked on the source editor window it is expected that when you click anything docked to the source editor the form designer will get covered. But your biggest problem is your assumption that only the source editor will cover the form designer ignoring the fact in most cases the form designer does not occupy any of the other window areas when you observe the difference.

In sort if it is a bug its not in the anchor docking package or the widget set or the IDE code.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

rvk

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:20 pm »
Ans since in anchor docking all of the panels are docked on the source editor window it is expected that when you click anything docked to the source editor the form designer will get covered.
Not exactly true. If you click on a component on the component pallet the form-designer does become visible. But that is forced in the IDE because you would expect to put a component on a form. But the current behavior follows Delphi. When clicking on the Object Inspector when the editor is visible, the editor will stay visible.

But here's the problem... In Delphi, when in form-design, when you click the Object Inspector the form stays visible. That is because the form-designer is also docked. I also noticed it's really annoying when in form-design clicking the Object Inspector gets you thrown back to the editor. The solution, however, would not be to show the form when clicking the Object Inspector (because you could be in the editor and want to stay there) but to enhance the AnchorDockingDsgn to include the form-designer in the docking (like it is done in CodeTyphon and Delphi) so when you are in form-design clicking the Object Inspector won't hide the form.

taazz

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »
Not exactly true. If you click on a component on the component pallet the form-designer does become visible. But that is forced in the IDE because you would expect to put a component on a form. But the current behavior follows Delphi. When clicking on the Object Inspector when the editor is visible, the editor will stay visible.
It is expected to be covered in the sense that it is a known feature and not a bug the existence of code to bring the designer in front when selecting a component in the palette is all the proof I
But here's the problem... In Delphi, when in form-design, when you click the Object Inspector the form stays visible. That is because the form-designer is also docked. I also noticed it's really annoying when in form-design clicking the Object Inspector gets you thrown back to the editor. The solution, however, would not be to show the form when clicking the Object Inspector (because you could be in the editor and want to stay there) but to enhance the AnchorDockingDsgn to include the form-designer in the docking (like it is done in CodeTyphon and Delphi) so when you are in form-design clicking the Object Inspector won't hide the form.
Well 2 solutions for this problem
1) get the docking solution from code typhoon that supports docked form designer and use it.
2) undock the object inspector and forget it.

The fact remains that it is not a bug.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

rvk

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
3) Change AnchorDockingDsgn yourself to include the form-docking and submit it as a patch/feature request.
4) Change the behavoir of AnchorDockingDsgn to put the form-designer on top when clicking the Object Inspector (which is very hard to do because you can't have the Object Inspector active while displaying the form-designer too).

But, indeed, it's definitely not a bug.

http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,20260.msg117316.html#msg117316

CM630

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
3) Change AnchorDockingDsgn yourself to include the form-docking and submit it as a patch/feature request.
I cannot spend time for that and what is worse, I am quite sure that I am not skilled enough to do it.

In sort if it is a bug its not in the anchor docking package or the widget set or the IDE code.

Well, if something does not operate as most users do it is either buggy or non-functional. Indeed, I cannot know what most people expect.

There could be another option- form designer can get closed when the Close button (the cross on the top-right angle) is pressed. But, still, the cross miht not be there... I wonder if I can submit a feature request in the Bugzilla.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:26:02 pm by paskal »

rvk

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 02:01:02 pm »
I wonder if I can submit a feature request in the Bugzilla.
You could... (that's what it's there for... but first look if it's not there already so it isn't a duplicate)
But you should realize it might not be possible until the form-designer is part of the docking. See it like this... when you're clicking the Object Inspector and are typing a name (for instance in the name property) how would the form-designer still be visible? The editor is part of the Object Inspector window so should be on top. The only way I can think of is making the form-designer "Always on top" but that could have its downsides too. I think implementing the docking for the form-designer is the best way to go and that is already on the wish-list for a while (but I couldn't find a feature request for that one).

taazz

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »
I don't think that anchor docking is part of lcl or fcl/rtl, so I don't know if there will be any bug reports or feature requests for them, they are part of the ccr I think, which might have a group in the bug tracker.
In short first check that anchor docking has a maintainer, I think that some one already posted in here a link to a wiki page with the list of component in the ccr and there maintainers. You will get an idea if your requests, bug reports have any one to work on them or you are better off copying the glass docking from code typhoon. Personally I would go for copying teh code typhoon components they usually have a very small number of changes to work in lazarus usually changing the required packages with lazarus packages is enough.

rvk

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:58:06 pm »
... or you are better off copying the glass docking from code typhoon.
The problem is the form-docking is not part of "glass docking" in CodeTyphon (as far as I could tell). The form-designer is part of the editor (it's a separate tab in the editor) and that gets docked with pl_GlassDocking. So the editor-window should be redesigned for that to work. I'm not sure it's that easy to just take the code for the editor-window in CodeTyphon to do this.

I don't think that anchor docking is part of lcl or fcl/rtl, so I don't know if there will be any bug reports or feature requests for them, they are part of the ccr I think, which might have a group in the bug tracker.
AnchorDockingDsgn and AnchorDocking doesn't come with lazarus-ccr. So I'm not sure if it's a part of that. It does come with the standard installation of Lazarus (in the Components directory).

CM630

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 02:34:39 pm »
Well, there is another bothering bug ctrl-v pastes in the Source Editor, instead in the Properties editor. I think it is an undeniable bug, so I can report it.

JuhaManninen

• Global Moderator
  • I like bugs.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:10:19 pm »
Well, there is another bothering bug ctrl-v pastes in the Source Editor, instead in the Properties editor. I think it is an undeniable bug, so I can report it.

Remember to check the existing bugs first.
Mostly Lazarus trunk and FPC 3.2 on Manjaro Linux 64-bit.

rvk

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:55 pm »

Remember to check the existing bugs first.
And you would end up here:
http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=24558

TinyPortal © 2005-2018