Recent

Author Topic: Linux distro for Lazarus + FireBird  (Read 17284 times)

sin_dragan

Re: Linux distro for Lazarus + FireBird
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 07:44:51 am »
I would strongly suggest you use something that is close to CentOS/Oracle Linux as that is already used in your company.

3 reasons:
1. Others in the company can support you and you can learn to support the WMS server
2. Performing management tasks for servers/clients is easier with a common platform
3. CentOS is one of the most widely used distros in enterprises anyway, so chances of getting cheap/plentiful external support are much higher.

It's an external company that develops our WMS, and the Oracle Linux is new to them as well, but I learn other things from them. For #2 and #3: +1 :)

I see that currently CentOS 7 is available, Im downloading right now. Should I use the same OS for production and clients? I ask this because I developed some application on Linux Mint and when I deployed it on Gentoo controls/components were overlapping, so I had to redesign UI.
Windows 7 64 bit
Lazarus 1.4.1 (w/fixes) FPC 2.6.4 win32

BigChimp

• Add to the wiki - it's free ;)
    • FPCUp, PaperTiger scanning and other open source projects
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 08:39:56 am »
I see that currently CentOS 7 is available, Im downloading right now. Should I use the same OS for production and clients? I ask this because I developed some application on Linux Mint and when I deployed it on Gentoo controls/components were overlapping, so I had to redesign UI.
You mean server and clients? Well, I haven't got any experience with CentOS really but it seems like a good idea to standardize. These releases are rock solid so putting clients on 7 isn't a bigger risk than putting your server on 7...
Later on you can evaluate and decide on upgrade cycles etc but AFAIU CentOS have long support cycles so that's a bonus.
Want quicker answers to your questions? Read http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#What_is_the_correct_way_to_ask_questions_in_the_forum.3F

Open source including papertiger OCR/PDF scanning:
https://bitbucket.org/reiniero

Lazarus trunk+FPC trunk x86, Windows x64 unless otherwise specified

sin_dragan

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 08:53:47 am »
You mean server and clients? Well, I haven't got any experience with CentOS really but it seems like a good idea to standardize. These releases are rock solid so putting clients on 7 isn't a bigger risk than putting your server on 7...
Later on you can evaluate and decide on upgrade cycles etc but AFAIU CentOS have long support cycles so that's a bonus.

Yes, for example, one central server and client workstation for employees (with LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, etc) working in our offices and remote clients working with (only) POS systems. (one server per location with Firebird server and rest just as thin clients with nothing installed)
I ll try to discover some "lighter versions" for thin clients, but for now, I m headed for RedHat foundation and CentOS, and stay away from Ubuntu (Unity).
Windows 7 64 bit

snorkel

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 06:29:10 pm »
Why would you switch from PostgreSQL to firebird?
Just write the Lazarus app and use the existing database.

IMHO PostgreSQL is a much better database than Firebird or MySQL.

Seems like a lot of extra work to convert the postgres db to firebird, especially if it uses triggers and stored procs.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

snorkel

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 06:32:33 pm »
For desktop use with Lazarus Netrunner rolling release is really nice, it's a Arch based distro (uses Manjaro repositories)

For server just keep it on centos and just reuse the postgresql database if you can.
***Snorkel***
If I forget, I always use the latest stable 32bit version of Lazarus and FPC. At the time of this signature that is Laz 3.0RC2 and FPC 3.2.2

Never

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 07:24:48 pm »
i think will be very useful for this post to set up a poll
to be clear some kind of suggestion from the users having the experience
Νέπε Λάζαρε λάγγεψων οξωκά ο φίλοσ'ς αραεύσε

exdatis

• exdatis
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 06:16:26 pm »
From an outsider's point of view I'd choose Debian ...
However, I only have personal experience with Debian on a hobby scale so YMMV - and apart from Firebird on Debian, no experience with Firebird on the other distros.

BigChimp, you're right! I tried Debian 7.7 (after the comment) and I'm impressed. Definitely, changed my distro to Debian...

test on poor lap-top (Fujitsu Siemens 32bit. 8 years old) Lazarus 1.2.6 32bit(standard) PostgreSQL 9.1, pure-ftpd etc.

Excellent!
Thanks, best regards

sin_dragan

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 10:52:53 am »
Hi, I tried several distros (Fedora 20, CentOS7, PcLinuxOS, Gentoo) and I had problems with all of them. Simply, I get error message stating that desktop has crashed or AccessViolation while opening files. Could you include exact version of linux that you use? I first try with VirtualBox and Fedora 20 and Lazarus seemed the most stable on this distro. But when I installed on desktop HP dx2400 it crashed.

I'm gonna try OpenSuse and Debian 7.7.
Windows 7 64 bit

Leledumbo

• Programming + Glam Metal + Tae Kwon Do = Me
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 11:03:39 am »
Hi, I tried several distros (Fedora 20, CentOS7, PcLinuxOS, Gentoo)
All but Gentoo is RPM based. Why?
Anyway, if you install Lazarus from distro's repo, there's a high chance that it's (very) outdated. Use our packaged installer or build from source instead. Consider using rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro or Netrunner. The packages are up to date and even AUR has packages that can build trunk version and cross compilers.

sin_dragan

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 11:11:00 am »
Hi, I tried several distros (Fedora 20, CentOS7, PcLinuxOS, Gentoo)
All but Gentoo is RPM based. Why?
Anyway, if you install Lazarus from distro's repo, there's a high chance that it's (very) outdated. Use our packaged installer or build from source instead. Consider using rolling release distros like Arch, Manjaro or Netrunner. The packages are up to date and even AUR has packages that can build trunk version and cross compilers.

I install the latest stable release, it usualy requires gtk2-devel libc-devel, fpc and fpc source. I'm gonna try distros from your list. The last distro I tried was from blazen signature chakra2013.05 but it says that my system (emulator) is i686 and the one I have is x86_64.
Windows 7 64 bit

Leledumbo

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 12:11:57 pm »
The last distro I tried was from blazen signature chakra2013.05 but it says that my system (emulator) is i686 and the one I have is x86_64.
Well, that's a misconfigured use of emulator... chakra never release a 32-bit version AFAIK, so yes you'll need a 64-bit machine to install it.

sin_dragan

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 01:24:56 pm »
The last distro I tried was from blazen signature chakra2013.05 but it says that my system (emulator) is i686 and the one I have is x86_64.
Well, that's a misconfigured use of emulator... chakra never release a 32-bit version AFAIK, so yes you'll need a 64-bit machine to install it.

Hm, you're right, I just searched options with VirtualBox but I can't set that, I'll try to install on my hp station.

Can anybody tell me why so many desktop distros crashes when I press Shift+F10 or when I try to open files from Lazarus, does anybody have similar problems? Maybe I should install something more?
Windows 7 64 bit

nomorelogic

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 03:18:41 pm »
I use sabayon, mint and gentoo since 2012, never had problems using lazarus and fpc.
I don't think troubles comes from distro.

Just a question: is virtualization enabled in your bios?
If not, enable it and retry.

sin_dragan

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 05:55:24 am »
I used Linux Mint 15 with Cinammon desktop. First, when I installed Lazarus and try to open file AV comes to screen, every time. Then I saw here that zeljko recommended to change gtk theme, so I did and the was problem solved. Next, when I press Shift + F10 a dialog shows me that the Cinamon desktop is crashed and restarting. Maybe it's my machine, this is a test computer on my work place (HP 2400 workstation) Intel C2D (E5400) and 4 gb of ddr2 memory. I'll check in bios today.
Windows 7 64 bit

Leledumbo

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 07:43:31 am »
Some DE seems to have problems. I never have any problem with KDE so you might want to try it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018