Recent

Author Topic: Code Librarian enhancements.  (Read 16844 times)

taazz

Code Librarian enhancements.
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:55:25 am »
I have starting collecting requests for improvements for my code librarian. If there is something you miss now is a good time to voice you wish and I assure you it will be included in my list of ideas.

So I'm starting this thread to give every one an opportunity to speak his or her mind and if the request list is long enough that only a number of the wishes can be implemented then one or more polls will be created so the community will decide the next phase.

So I'm open to suggestions go ahead ask away.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

Laz: Lazarus 1.4.4 FPC 2.6.4 i386-win32-win32/win64

Mike.Cornflake

Re: Code Librarian enhancements.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:22 pm »
Before I start: Many thanks for releasing your app, both as open source code and as a utility.

Well, since you're asking :-)    My number one request is a library of code snippets.   

Being the bog standard lazy programmer I downloaded your tool, saw that I needed to populate with my own snippets and got no further.

The second would be for a link for people fresh to this subject, but I can do that myself :-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelibrarian/

However, I realise you're asking for actual feedback.  I'll re-run your app, add my own snippets and get back to you.
Lazarus Trunk/FPC Trunk on Windows [7, 10]
  Have you tried searching this forum or the wiki?:   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Alternative_Main_Page
  BOOKS! (Free and otherwise): http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines

taazz

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:50:49 pm »
Before I start: Many thanks for releasing your app, both as open source code and as a utility.
You are welcome.

Well, since you're asking :-)    My number one request is a library of code snippets.   
OK not what I had in mind but lets start one of those too. Post what would you like to see in that library, anything goes from categories to specific snippets, I'll start a list on that also and see how far I can go. I'll probably need attribute on the snippets like author, Last edited, etc. to give some proper credit and allow the community to help build the library.

Being the bog standard lazy programmer I downloaded your tool, saw that I needed to populate with my own snippets and got no further.

The second would be for a link for people fresh to this subject, but I can do that myself :-)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelibrarian/

However, I realise you're asking for actual feedback.  I'll re-run your app, add my own snippets and get back to you.

Thanks a lot.
Good judgement is the result of experience … Experience is the result of bad judgement.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:06:49 pm »
Would it be possible to add a facility to use snippets hosted on the Wiki?

There is some very useful example code hosted there, and your librarian could be a good place to keep track of it.
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

Mike.Cornflake

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 01:26:26 pm »

There is some very useful example code hosted there, and your librarian could be a good place to keep track of it.

Nice idea.  I'll get started on that (see below)

OK not what I had in mind but lets start one of those too. Post what would you like to see in that library, anything goes from categories to specific snippets, I'll start a list on that also and see how far I can go. I'll probably need attribute on the snippets like author, Last edited, etc. to give some proper credit and allow the community to help build the library.

OK.  I'll build a library here and post the resulting file.  That'll also give me the experience using your app to be able to provide specific feedback :-)
  Have you tried searching this forum or the wiki?:   http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Alternative_Main_Page
  BOOKS! (Free and otherwise): http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_and_Lazarus_Books_and_Magazines

taazz

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:06 pm »

Note it.
I like the wiki integration IDEA a lot I need to think of a way to not loose the offline status of the app in the process.
So I'm thinking something along the lines of the copy/paste process of the evernote (the old version before it wend on the cloud) which added automatically a reference to the original site at the end of the pasted info. That is where I'll probably head for now.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »

Note it.
I like the wiki integration IDEA a lot I need to think of a way to not loose the offline status of the app in the process.
So I'm thinking something along the lines of the copy/paste process of the evernote (the old version before it wend on the cloud) which added automatically a reference to the original site at the end of the pasted info. That is where I'll probably head for now.

AFAIK the wiki is able to make subsections i.e. CodeSnippets/Windows/Database etc, so how about a CodeSnippets section on the Wiki that CodeLibrarian could then easily access?

This would be an enhancement to the wiiki, too :)
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

taazz

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 02:57:39 pm »

Note it.

AFAIK the wiki is able to make subsections i.e. CodeSnippets/Windows/Database etc, so how about a CodeSnippets section on the Wiki that CodeLibrarian could then easily access?

This would be an enhancement to the wiiki, too :)

Oh you mean import and export? ee every time you edit your snippets you can then sync it to the wiki and have it public?
Yes it can be arranged I don't see why not the only thing that is needed GUI wise is a simple setting for the route page/section of the snippets wiki page and some html code.

Well I was hoping to avoid the html libraries I do not want to have any external dependencies other than the lcl but It can be arranged something along the lines of an addin I guess.

Mike.Cornflake

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 03:15:27 pm »
Feature Request: language type for snippets. 
I have three types of snippets I carry around - Pascal, VBA & SQL.  There's SyntaxHighlighters available for each.   

Dunno how you want to implement this?  Three snippet types with default being Pascal? 
Alternate thought: Add a statusbar with panels, and implement a popup on the panel that displays language type.

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 03:33:05 pm »
I have starting collecting requests for improvements for my code librarian. If there is something you miss now is a good time to voice you wish and I assure you it will be included in my list of ideas.

So I'm starting this thread to give every one an opportunity to speak his or her mind and if the request list is long enough that only a number of the wishes can be implemented then one or more polls will be created so the community will decide the next phase.

So I'm open to suggestions go ahead ask away.

The Code Librarian has come a long way since you suggested it in a previous topics - Congratulations  :)

I think what should be considered is having everything as plain text, both the tree structure and the files as well and working directly from a source code repository to make updates easy.

When a person wants to make some updates, they just download it locally, make their changes or add new files, merge it with updates from the main repository, then push it back.

That will also make it easier for the wiki to be linked to the snippets, and have updates reflected on the wiki page immediately.
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

taazz

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 03:36:24 pm »
I have three types of snippets I carry around - Pascal, VBA & SQL.  There's SyntaxHighlighters available for each.   

Dunno how you want to implement this?  Three snippet types with default being Pascal? 
Alternate thought: Add a statusbar with panels, and implement a popup on the panel that displays language type.

Well you do know that by right clicking the title of the snippet on the tree you can select the highlighter right? Also by selecting it you can use the language tool button to do the same.
on top of that, by setting the highlighter on a folder you instruct the app that everything under that folder will get the selected highlighter as default.

EDIT :

by the way the current binaries support 9 different languages/highlighters and I have extended them to 24 but since I can't use my linux VMs I haven't published an update yet. I'll see if I could check in the changes at least in GIT tonight and I'll publish the binaries  after my desktop is in working order, probably the next weekend.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:42:15 pm by taazz »

Mike.Cornflake

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 03:52:42 pm »

Well you do know that by right clicking the title of the snippet on the tree you can select the highlighter right? Also by selecting it you can use the language tool button to do the same.
on top of that, by setting the highlighter on a folder you instruct the app that everything under that folder will get the selected highlighter as default.

EDIT :

by the way the current binaries support 9 different languages/highlighters and I have extended them to 24 but since I can't use my linux VMs I haven't published an update yet. I'll see if I could check in the changes at least in GIT tonight and I'll publish the binaries  after my desktop is in working order, probably the next weekend.

Ug.  I'm seeing none of that - I think I have a stale file.  I downloaded Beta 1, which was the latest offered by SourceForge?

I can't find a latest binary, and I'm not in a position to use SVN or GIT (same problem as last year - blocked from this boat)   Any chance new binaries can be uploaded?  THanks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 03:55:15 pm by Mike.Cornflake »

taazz

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 03:57:18 pm »
The Code Librarian has come a long way since you suggested it in a previous topics - Congratulations  :)

thank you I'm glad you find it useful.

I think what should be considered is having everything as plain text, both the tree structure and the files as well and working directly from a source code repository to make updates easy.

I'm sorry I'm a bit confused. The snippets are saved in plain text inside the library. The colors you see are a dynamic decision made at runtime by the synedit control the do not exist as information in the snippet it self.

Working form a source code repository? as individual snippets? or as a library file?

sorry for being dense at a time like this.

When a person wants to make some updates, they just download it locally, make their changes or add new files, merge it with updates from the main repository, then push it back.

That will also make it easier for the wiki to be linked to the snippets, and have updates reflected on the wiki page immediately.

actually you can have as many libraries as you want which can be merged under a single one. This process is already in place so any one can start their own library and send it back to be merged in. I could extend after I add the author attributes on the snippets to allow one to export his/her snippets in an external library sending only them to be merged in.

Will this be acceptable or am I missing the big picture here? (will not the be the first time that I do mind you).

taazz

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »

Ug.  I'm seeing none of that - I think I have a stale file.  I downloaded Beta 1, which was the latest offered by SourceForge?

I can't find a latest binary, and I'm not in a position to use SVN or GIT (same problem as last year - blocked from this boat)   Any chance new binaries can be uploaded?  THanks.

That is the pre-release folder not the latest I don't know why SF says is the latest one here is the direct link to the latest download for windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/codelibrarian/files/Release/CodeLibrarian.1.0.0.0.RC1.Win32.rar/download

I'll clean up a bit in the next update I'll leave only the new version the old will be deleted no reason to stay up.

You will notice that it comes with a sample snippets library as well needs to be cleaned up and sorted out properly but its a small start.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »
I don't know if it's already added but these are Windows specific I made some time ago:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/High_DPI
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/FileAssociation

Here you have both procedures / classes and the example code.

Others:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/TCollection

Something cool can be, for the TCollection example, to put your own name to the classes inside, then copy and paste to Lazarus. Like a save-time tool.

Another thing: integrate this with Lazarus, and auto-update will be great.

Edit: Zoom for the text (In the folder view and in the code view)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:25:19 pm by 007 »

TinyPortal © 2005-2018