Recent

Author Topic: Book - "The Complete Guide" Rip Off!  (Read 9684 times)

LarryP

Book - "The Complete Guide" Rip Off!
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:01:05 am »
I received my Lazarus Complete Guide today.  I paid over $100 including shipping to Nevada.  The book page promises a USB stick containing Lazarus, a CD with all sample book code, and the book to be a hardcover.

What I received is a paperback.  That's it.
Lazarus version: 1.2.4, FPC 2.6.4
SVN Revision:  45510
i386-win32-win32/win64

Rails

Re: Book - "The Complete Guide" Rip Off!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 02:49:04 am »
I hope you contacted the sellers and asked them to make it good. If they don't and you paid by cc you can always dispute the charge.

vfclists

• HowTos Considered Harmful?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »
I received my Lazarus Complete Guide today.  I paid over $100 including shipping to Nevada.  The book page promises a USB stick containing Lazarus, a CD with all sample book code, and the book to be a hardcover.

What I received is a paperback.  That's it.

Did you order it from a distributor approved by the publishers?
Lazarus 3.0/FPC 3.2.2

LarryP

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 03:41:23 pm »
I ordered it from the link on the left of this page you are reading, "Bookstore."

I contacted them and they say it was never advertised as hard cover.  It's a deceptive page. 
i386-win32-win32/win64

Rails

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:47:23 pm »
What about the other things you mentioned, such as the preinstalled Laz on a USB key, etc., etc?

howardpc

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 03:55:48 pm »
The page is not deceptive, it clearly states there are two options:

1. With a sewn binding, paperback edition with laminated cover, printed on  FSC certified paper.The page format is : 16,5X 24 cm.

2. With a sewn binding hard back.
    The format is as for the paperback edition but with a higher quality hard cover.

Clearly there is either confusion or a mistake over which edition you ordered and paid for.

However, although I cannot see any mention of a CD or USB stick on that page, my recollection is that a CD of the book's code was included with both editions of the book. If it is missing that is genuine oversight, and the publisher should correct it if you contact him.

Rails

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »
http://www.blaisepascal.eu/index.php?actie=./subscribers/UK_Book_Department_Complete_Guide

The above link is for the ordering page. In part it says

"2014 Reprint: the Bundle 7 items

1. Free Download Subscription 1 year for
     Blaise Pascal Magazine
 2. The book Lazarus the Complete Guide
     (Only English- NO PDF FILE)
 3.Windows installer for Lazarus
 4.Mac installerfor Lazarus
 5.Linux installer for Lazarus
 6.Lazarus Portable (Windows),
     a preïnstalled copy of Lazarus
     on a 8 GB USB stick
      additional sample projects
     additional preïnstalled component suites

Information about an English version of the newly published Lazarus book:

1. With a sewn binding, paperback edition with laminated cover, printed on  FSC certified paper.The page format is : 16,5X 24 cm.
"

Apparently, the lead-in page mention of the hard cover version does not apply, but the USB key and other items are clearly promised.

rvk

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:55 pm »
You didn't mention the (final) page from where you ordered the book.
But if it's this one you might also want to ask about the "Free Download Subscription 1 year for Blaise Pascal Magazine " you apparently didn't get (besides the 8GB Usb-stick).

LarryP

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 03:36:56 am »
I had trouble understanding the page as to me it showed two different types of book.  The picture of the book shows a hardback book.  Clicking on the book image showed even more, but today I clicked it and it showed a blank page.  Anyway, after being confused, I sent them an email and I told them that I had already paid for the magazine subscription before I saw that it was part of the book package.  They had record of that of course.

I find the information on the site misleading.  Still looking at it, it is not plain and simple as to what I would receive.  I DID expect a hardcover sewn binding book.  After contacting them, they said the USB stick would be sent separate when Lazarus updates soon.  I didn't know it was updating soon but I also have not been following these forums lately.  Life has been in the way.  ;)

They also said the book is not hardcover so that won't change.  I clearly do not understand how a book can have a sewn binding and be a paperback.  The site also says it has a laminated cover, it does not have that either.  It's just a regular plain paper cover like all cheap paperbacks.

I'm kind of sorry for posting here now as I probably should just have accepted my loss and quietly move on.  However, I did not want anyone else to pay what I did and get less than what the site seems to promise.  Amazon.com says this book will be coming soon so that might be the best way to buy it if a person can wait.

Thanks for all the kind posts.   :D
i386-win32-win32/win64

howardpc

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 10:49:15 am »
They also said the book is not hardcover so that won't change.  I clearly do not understand how a book can have a sewn binding and be a paperback.  The site also says it has a laminated cover, it does not have that either.  It's just a regular plain paper cover like all cheap paperbacks.

I think it is OK that you highlighted the problems you had, and the shortcomings of the way the book is advertised. I would expect the publisher to sharpen up the advert so it is not misleading.
The sewn binding paperback is an uncommon feature. The majority of paperbacks have a glued back binding. However, for larger books over (say 150 pages) this can lead to the back breaking if you try to lay it flat. The sewn binding means that you can lay the book open almost flat beside your keyboard without the back breaking (try it). The spine wrinkles somewhat, but the book stays intact, and there is no line of hard glue to crack.
The original advert would have been written in Dutch and translated into English. I don't know what the Dutch equivalent of 'laminated cover' describes exactly, but the book does have a thick card cover with a shiny slightly plasticised outer surface film. I agree that the English term laminated can imply two leaves of laminate, an inner one also, and usually a heavier laminate material, which the book does not have.

LarryP

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:35 pm »
Well, I laid the book open flat and I only did it once.  The spine now has a permanent bend/crack now.  The book is cheap.  Garbage for what I paid.  They are no longer answering my questions now.  I asked them how a paperback can be a sewn binding and they no longer write back.  They did say before ending emails that they mailed the USB stick out.

Live and learn.  :)
i386-win32-win32/win64

TinyPortal © 2005-2018