Recent

Author Topic: When will the world be seeing a REAL Pascal plattform on Android? Lazarus?  (Read 4871 times)

Robert W.B.

• Love my Wife, My Kids and Lazarus/Freepascal.
The Lazarus team is doing a fantastic job with the plattform and it's great but, my wishes is for Lazarus plattform in the Android enviroment.
I'm ready to pay for a such a version and at the same time support it's community and team.

Lazarus can run on Linux so, there must be a way to run the plattform in Android.
PascalGui is a fine exampel but, it's feel just like an attempt to put Pascal in focus on Android.
It's not enough, I'm afraid.

We need a real plattform and Lazarus is the one superior. This is what we want on android.
To be able to create our pascal apps with the great Lazarus directly on our surfboards.

Thanks to the Lazarus team, for developing the Lazarus(Freepascal tools.
Best regards
Robbanux  8-)
Rob

typo

Others already have said that Android platform has not the requirements needed for it. Perhaps a website can do that, don't you want to try?

Robert W.B.

• Love my Wife, My Kids and Lazarus/Freepascal.
I haven't the knowledge to such thing. I'm just novice,I'm afraid.
Do You mean Typo, that Android is to weak for running Lazarus?
Can't there be a light version of Lazarus?
Rob

typo

Do You mean Typo, that Android is to weak for running Lazarus?

Of course.

marcov

• Administrator
  • FPC developer.
I'm not sure if it is really impossible, but there are some tough nuts to crack:

- Most current devices don't have the display resolution to run Lazarus. Retina upped the ante on the iOS side, and some Android vendors are following that example (e.g. Yarvik Noble and some Yenta versions), so that might be ok in time.
- (heavy) compilation is a battery drainer.
- Processors are also coming along nicely, but the fastest ARMs are still only in the Atom ranges. You don't want a recompile of Lazarus to install a component to last an hour on a battery.  SSD Flash is fast, but most SD cards are actually slower than HDDs for read/write operation
- how to operate the GUI?
- How much access does an app actually have to the underlying OS? Can it actually fire other apps (like make and FPC) ? Are threads supported? Might need a rooted android.
- Does android devices have some way to install the required toolchain bits (make, as,ar,ld among others)? Yes FPC supports Linux, but might require more Linux than android standardly provides.

So while Android is probably not impossible, I think it will only run on PC like android devices, probably development boards, plugged in, with some fast storage device (SSD or HDD), a high res screen (probably a normal monitor) and normal keyboard and mouse.

Anything else needs to crack some nuts first, and do it in a way that doesn't detract from mainline Lazarus development. (so no changing lazarus to do touch everywhere).

And even for the easier development board scenario, somebody has to step up and do the work. Preferably owning a suitable device. You?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:39:50 pm by marcov »

Paul Breneman

• Control Pascal
I think someone said they got Lazarus working on Android in this message thread about GNUroot: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,23927.0.html

But I agree with what marcov wrote...

Note that the Lazarus mentioned in that thread is really a Linux app, and it is running in Linux.  So there might not be many advantages since this is not much different than using a Linux PC to compile an Android app, except you probably don't need to use USB to transfer the app to the Android device?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:39:44 pm by Paul Breneman »
Regards,
Paul Breneman
www.ControlPascal.com

typo

Good news.

Maybe Arucard1983 can post a guide as promised.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 02:57:23 pm by typo »

Paul Breneman

• Control Pascal
If someone can point me to a *simple* way to install and use VNC on Android, then I might be interested in publishing something on my GNUroot page.
Regards,
Paul Breneman
www.ControlPascal.com

TinyPortal © 2005-2018