Recent

Author Topic: Laz AutoUpdate component - beta  (Read 63098 times)

minesadorada

• Retired
Re: Laz AutoUpdate component - beta
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
Linux 64-bit edition of Update Pack now available from SourceForge

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazautoupdate/
GPL Apps: Health MonitorRetro Ski Run
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 02:22:50 pm »
Win32: UpdatePack to version 0.0.7  LazAutoUpdate to v0.1.5  (Linux edition to follow ASAP)

Quite a few improvements to the UpdatePack (I use UpdatePack to manage the updates to UpdatePack itself of course)  If you have already downloaded it, in the Help Menu, click 'check for updates' to get the latest version.

You can now drag any extra files you want to add/replace/update in the application's directory.
OnlinePackageManager Components: LazAutoUpdate, LongTimer, PoweredBy, ScrollText, PlaySound, CryptINI

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 06:34:43 pm »
Linux 64-bit edition of Update Pack v0.0.7.1 now available via Help Menu 'check for updates'

I love Lazaus multiplatform - the Win32 code changes just compiled clean in 64-bit linux :)  As soon as I can figure out how to get target=i386 working in my Mint 64-bit distro I'll compile and upload the Linux 32-bit editions.

I won't post any more update notices here.  Just click Help/Check for updates every so often - after all, that's the purpose of LazAutoUpdate..

Next AutoUpdate add-on will be a systray app that can automatically check for updates of any LazAutoUpdate-enabled app that you put in a list.  Designed to run at OS startup.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 07:51:05 pm by minesadorada »

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 02:01:25 pm »
For those following progress of the LazAutoUpdate suite, there is now a Blog of progress etc.

https://sourceforge.net/p/lazautoupdate/lazautoupdateblog/

Rayvenhaus

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 01:30:11 am »
I've got your component installed and I love the idea, just want I was looking for. I have one small question concerning its usage. Where does the component read the application versioning info from to compare against the versions.ini file?

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:34 am »
I've got your component installed and I love the idea, just want I was looking for. I have one small question concerning its usage. Where does the component read the application versioning info from to compare against the versions.ini file?
When dropped into an application, it should read the Version info (set in Project/Options/Version Info)

Rayvenhaus

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 04:05:43 am »
Ok, that's what I thought.  In the Project Settings are Major Version, Minor Version, Revision and Build. The Build can go to 65535.  In your Updatepack, you have 4 positions as well, but the 4th can only go to 99.

If my Project settings are 0.5.1.3930 is that what I put into the version.ini?

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 09:12:25 am »
In the current version that will probably be ok.  It actually converts the quad into a single integer (0x10000+5x1000+1x100+3930=9030) which doesn't allow for high version numbers.  Yours is a low version number with a high build number so it should cope.

I plan to revisit the LazAutoUpdate project soon to refactor the versioning system into a proper Quad record and also update other code, as Sourceforge have changed their download protocols recently.  It also need to work properly for Unix ELF files and Mac MACH-O files.

I've just done a quick code review, and discovered the Sourceforge downloads no longer work properly.  I'll be addressing this issue in an update.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:51:39 am by minesadorada »

Rayvenhaus

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 03:22:31 pm »
So, in essence, until you release an update, LazAutoUpdate no longer works because of a change in Sourceforge. Just curious, do you have an idea as to when you might have your update ready?

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:55 pm »
So, in essence, until you release an update, LazAutoUpdate no longer works because of a change in Sourceforge. Just curious, do you have an idea as to when you might have your update ready?
I'm hoping by next week. It's quite a substantial refactor.  Ironically I'm currently working in a GUI to configure updating packages.
Sourceforge now redirects (as before) but now redirects again using a js on the server.  Current code can't cope.  Good news - I've already refactored the version code.

lainz

• https://lainz.github.io/
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 03:48:54 pm »
Hi, this can work with GitHub too? In GitHub downloads don't have the redirect problem, but the code you use to download must have a proper User-Agent like

client.AddHeader('User-Agent','Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; fpweb)');

and it must support https downloads, so maybe need to include the extra dll's (OpenSSL ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll), depending on what you're using for the download.

The downloads are stored like this:

https://github.com/newpascal/lazarus/releases/download/lazarus4np-v1.0.37/lazarus.zip

so github prefix, organization or username, project, releases, download, tag, filename

in each release the thing that changes is the tag, and maybe the filename,
of course you can delete the previous file and replace with another with the same name, so the url will not change

but if for example is needed to store text in a url that donesn't change maybe can be used the master repository

for example, in bgracontrols I have the external json like this
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bgrabitmap/bgracontrols/master/update_bgracontrols_force.json

so any file can be downloaded as text with no problems, for the version.ini that's online

Rayvenhaus

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 04:29:24 pm »
Looking forward to the update!

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 05:20:01 pm »
It's just the downloading part that needs fixing.  The underlying updating code logic checks out OK, but the Synapse code I use is a bit hacky and primitive.

I know downloading text and binaries from SourceForge can be done, because GetMem's OnlinePackageManager does it, so I'll start by looking at how.  It needs to be threaded, and I think OPM does that.  I prefer to learn from an expert than struggle to reinvent code.

Once SourceForge functionality is sorted, I'll take a look at GitHub.  How hard can it be? :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:26:37 pm by minesadorada »

Rayvenhaus

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 03:33:13 pm »
Has this been fixed yet so that it is usable?  I really want to include the ability to look for an update in my project and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

minesadorada

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 05:40:49 pm »
Has this been fixed yet so that it is usable?  I really want to include the ability to look for an update in my project and I don't want to reinvent the wheel.
Like a lot of people with families, I expect to be away from the coding keyboard over Christmas/New Year.
It is on my to-do list, but not a quick fix.

TinyPortal © 2005-2018